5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy a 19 or 20

Emg006

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. Two options I have, just debating between the EcoDiesel or 5.7.

Option 1: 2019 Rebel 5.7, sticker 60ish, OTD 52333 w/ 60 month 0% financing (4k in rebates)
Option 2: 2020 Laramie 3.0, sticker 65ish, OTD 54550, finance for a competitive rate 72 months (7750 rebates) (total cost of ownership 60,800)

They both have pretty much same options, laramie is a lvl 2. Dealer not wanting to deal on the rebel even though sitting on lot for since July. I can probably find the same 2020 laramie in a 5.7 for 5K less.

No trade in. I am not sure if getting a newer truck is worth the 8k in difference, maybe less if I go with gas and not the Eco.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. Two options I have, just debating between the EcoDiesel or 5.7.

Option 1: 2019 Rebel 5.7, sticker 60ish, OTD 52333 w/ 60 month 0% financing (4k in rebates)
Option 2: 2020 Laramie 3.0, sticker 65ish, OTD 54550, finance for a competitive rate 72 months (7750 rebates) (total cost of ownership 60,800)

They both have pretty much same options, laramie is a lvl 2. Dealer not wanting to deal on the rebel even though sitting on lot for since July. I can probably find the same 2020 laramie in a 5.7 for 5K less.

No trade in. I am not sure if getting a newer truck is worth the 8k in difference, maybe less if I go with gas and not the Eco.
Yes you’ll save more if you find a 5.7 Laramie.
5 grand in the big picture won’t make a difference
The Rebel and Laramie are 2 different trucks, however pretty much priced the same.
So it’s all your personal preference, off road over luxury or vice versa
Either way, there’s no wrong choice here!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes you’ll save more if you find a 5.7 Laramie.
5 grand in the big picture won’t make a difference
The Rebel and Laramie are 2 different trucks, however pretty much priced the same.
So it’s all your personal preference, off road over luxury or vice versa
Either way, there’s no wrong choice here!
Yep, apples and oranges type trucks, got to decide about off-road vs luxury/diesel. How many months old is the 19'? Lot rot?
That's a hard choice for some that don't have a very particular need for either one. Never having owned a diesel and not sure about the extra maintenance costs would probably push me to the gasser, but that's totally me.

Emg006

Reaction score
The Laramie has the ORP, so its kinda off roady. Haha.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My vote, Laramie, + ORP, 5.7 w/ Eco, 3.92 gear ratio. I go off roading some, do a bit of hauling/towing. For me, that's the best combo for work, play and comfort.
What he said above.
It's a good combination and works for most everything, plus it's less money...
If you want to take a bit of a chance on the diesel 3.0, and don't mind the extra maintenance costs, then it does deliver much better mpg's, up to double the gasser... That's a consideration as well.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Laramie has the ORP, so its kinda off roady. Haha.
Actually, that's more true than you think. The Rebel has slightly larger tires and name-brand shocks, but the Off-Road Group adds quite a few features of its own (including some pretty solid Falken tires and HD shocks, plus skid plates and the rest). It may come down to your preferred look. I tend to agree with the other guys here, but I'm biased with a gussied-up Longhorn.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I got my 2020 Rebel for almost exactly the same as they want for that 2019 that's been on the lot for 8 months. I was at about 50k before trade in, and it was stickered at 59,905.

Emg006

Reaction score
It’s hard to find orp w/5.7. What out air suspension, can find one of those in a 5.7. Worth it?

Emg006

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I got my 2020 Rebel for almost exactly the same as they want for that 2019 that's been on the lot for 8 months. I was at about 50k before trade in, and it was stickered at 59,905.
That’s my dilemma, basically is 0% worth it on a year old truck.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Happy with my Rebel 5.7! As the others pointed it has it's own specific shocks, tires, and a true transfer case, and rear locker. Other trucks in the line are very nice, but I personally have no reason for any diesel-powered truck. Just too costly to maintain in the long run as a compared to regular gasser.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s my dilemma, basically is 0% worth it on a year old truck.
I got 0%, but it was a 36 month loan. I was ok with that term as I planned to pay it off within 3 years anyway. It just meant I had to ramp up my first few payments to get ahead of the pay schedule.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Actually, that's more true than you think. The Rebel has slightly larger tires and name-brand shocks, but the Off-Road Group adds quite a few features of its own (including some pretty solid Falken tires and HD shocks, plus skid plates and the rest). It may come down to your preferred look. I tend to agree with the other guys here, but I'm biased with a gussied-up Longhorn.
I do like those Falken tires!

eyeguy

Reaction score
Apples to apples the difference btw a 19 and a 20 is prob nor enough to buy a 19. I had an ecodiesel in outdoorsman line. I could get 30 mpg at 55-60 mph. With my 2020 ram laramie orp I have a hard time getting 20 on same route. I have 5.7 no etorque and 3.21. Cost of diesel is more than gas but since the 5.7 really like 89 octane that narrows the gap quite a bit here in iowa. Diesel lag in stop and go is a little bit of a pain but if not going to go past 100k warranty and mostly highway miles I would go diesel.

Wheeler

Reaction score
If you are going to tow lot and long distance hwy driving ecodiesel is good choice. Other wise 5.7 is winner. I had 2016 ecodiesel great hwy cruiser. But my 7 mile work commute and dropping kids at school 3 blocks kept ecodiesel confused. Regen cycle was pain in the Neck.
Some time I just kept driving to complete the regen so my garage don't stink
Defet the porpose of MPG gain over Hemi.

Users who are viewing this thread