5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

busted wiper?

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
I chipped the ice off my windshield so I could run an errand.....or so I thought. I didn't realize that small piece around the driver-side spindle would block all motion on that side. The other wiper went through its full range of travel. With ALL the ice removed, the busted wiper now lacks 8-10 inches reaching full stroke, and then it buries itself when it parks. Is there a slip clutch in that mechanism somewhere that protects the motor in such a condition? Or is something likely broken now?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..nope, they are mounted on a smooth shaft and only held on by a nut.. with no locktite. Came loose on me acouple weeks ago and the wipers got in a fight while I attempted to use the window wash.. **** poor design. Literally never had an issue with wipers in any other vehicle I've ever owned, minus replacing the blades.

I fixed it by popping the hood, pop the plastic cover off the bottom of the wiper, remove the nut, apply some blue locktite, put the nut back on, adjust the wiper to desired location, tighten the nut back down, and reinstall the cover.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Excellent. I was hoping it wouldn't require major surgery in this weather. Thanks for the quick replies!

Users who are viewing this thread