5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burning rubber smell in 4wd

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
So I followed up on that. It looks like there is an axle disconnect on the front, but no front shaft disconnect on the transfer case, so the front shaft does whatever the rear shaft is doing. I learned something, No disconnect? Then why but looks to me like "spinning in 2WD" is the answer.
No, that's not true. Otherwise there would be no need for the clutches inside the transfer case, because the front shaft is already engaged. And putting it in 4 would be strictly the job of the front disconnect and not the shift actuator on the transfer case. The transfer case would only be a gear reduction unit in low range.

In 2WD the front driveshaft is disengaged and the front axle is disconnected. In 4 auto, the front axle is connected but the transfer case is not until it detects slippage and engages. The driveshaft will be spinning but unpowered when cruising down the road. I can feel and hear a slight difference between 4auto and 2WD. When the 4 auto engages or you put it in 4Hi, then the transfer case delivers power to the front shaft and thus the front tires. Just due to drag and thick lubricant, there can be some movement on the driveshaft, but it's not going to be high speed.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The clutch pack in the tcase is partially engaged in 4wd auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stand corrected, and I see where those parts are in the drawings. Darn, now I want the other system without the auto. It'll be okay though, I'll just be careful with it...

usedup

Reaction score
Does turning off the traction control completely disengage it? On some vehicles it doesn't. Just throwing this out there.

Users who are viewing this thread