5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burning Rubber / Gear Oil Odor

Choppa

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel, 5.7 E-Torque, 15K on the odometer. About a month ago I used 4WD High for the first time, only about 10 miles under 45 mph. When I pulled into the garage I noticed a distinct gear oil / burned rubber odor, wrote it off as something on the transfer case burning off. However last week and today after driving home from work, 27 miles @ 55 - 60 mph, in 2WD I had a burning rubber odor again, pretty strong. Any ideas. Truck is running and driving fine, no turning issues, no belt/pulley squeal. Got me stumped.

From I have searched there doesn't seem to be anything that caught my eye as a problem.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've noticed this on both 5th gens I've owned (2020 Laramie and 2021 Limited), the wife's 2020 Limited, and my daughter's 2019 Rebel. In other words, every 5th gen I've had experience with. I've seen other threads where this was discussed, and I don't remember that anyone ever figured out what it was. I'd like to know for my own peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread