5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunk ram box

ders0

Reaction score
Picked up my new big horn last night.

I posted a little about my ram box issue in another thread but wanted to post about it here in case someone has the same issue although I feel my situation may be unique.

My truck has the ram boxes and one of them works perfectly, the other does not.

When first reviewing the truck, test driving, etc... the ram boxes were one of the first things I looked at as I wasn’t 100% sold on them especially with the only model available with them being a big horn and I could get a nicer equipped Laramie for the same price based on the incentive and discount differential between the models.

I noticed before the salesman arrived one box opened one didn’t, but assumed it had to do with the truck being locked and maybe one wasn’t fully closed or whatever. Well I liked the big horn and decided to buy it.

Once I finished the paperwork, the truck was cleaned up, reviewed the features with the salesman, etc... I remembered the ram box issue and went to check them.

Sure enough - one worked fine. The other wouldn’t open when unlocked with the fob. The button did nothing.

The box could be manually opened with the key, but the light inside the box didn’t turn on. I assumed it was a wiring issue to that particular box. At that point it was after 5 Pm the dealerships service dept was closed so it was either leave the truck there til after Christmas or take it home and bring it back for a repair for the RamBox after the holiday.

So since getting home - the affected ram box has flown open randomly (about 50% of trips) while driving which is interesting being it doesn’t open or function.

After having the truck for 2 days now I’ve pinpointed what’s happening but I still don’t understand it.

So today I was walking out of my house. Unlocked the truck with the fob and heard a noise. Looked back and sure enough the bad ram box was popped open. Tested it a few more times and realized on certain unlockings with the fob the RamBox is becoming completely unlatched which is why it has been flying open on the road.

So what I previously thought was an electrical/wiring issue to the box may not actually be the case as the fob is communicating with the lock system just instead of unlocking its unlatching and the button on the RamBox is still inoperable.

Also when closing the bad box it’s completely different than the proper one. It has to be slammed hard a few times before it finally properly latches and closes.

Sorry for the long rant on the ram boxes. I have an appt with the dealer for 7am the day after Christmas to get this looked at along with my ambient light dimmer that doesn’t work. They’ve been very apologetic as the problems were realized before I left the lot and they’re prioritizing getting my issues fixed so I have my truck for our road trip to see family for the holidays the weekend after Christmas. I’m hoping they can resolve the issue quickly.

I’m at least happy I recognized it’s the unlocking with the fob that triggers the box to come loose. It was very frustrating driving down the highway and noticing it swinging open for seemingly no reason while I was cruising at 60 mph. Now I know to check and latch it before entering and starting the truck.

ras296

Reaction score
Any luck at the dealer? I have the same problem with my 2021 Limited. It’s the driver’s side that opens randomly and I catch it most of the time, but occasionally, it has flown open. Luckily, nothing is in it. Mine opens up after I lock up the vehicle, but not immediately and not always, so it’s the worst kind of problem—-the sporadic kind. I hope it does it when I take it to the dealer.

Boston

Reaction score
Could be as simple as an adjustment to the lock if there is any potential like that. Or a defective actuator.
Not having ramboxes dunno if the lock has any adjustment potential.

Mrstuart0

Reaction score
Any luck at the dealer? I have the same problem with my 2021 Limited. It’s the driver’s side that opens randomly and I catch it most of the time, but occasionally, it has flown open. Luckily, nothing is in it. Mine opens up after I lock up the vehicle, but not immediately and not always, so it’s the worst kind of problem—-the sporadic kind. I hope it does it when I take it to the dealer.
This is exactly my issue too. I have a 2021 limited and the driver box randomly opens at times

Users who are viewing this thread