5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumps Feel Like Bottoming Out

DSN46

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.
New guy on the forum with a question. I've noticed whenever I go over an entrance to a drive for a business that has an exceptionally high entrance curb, one or both of my front shocks feel like they are bottoming out. If I go slowly, no problem, but if I turn into the drive at say... 10 or 15 mph... the front feels like it just "slams" hard! Anyone else noticed this? I'm pretty good with a wrench and know my way around mechanics so I looked everywhere in the front suspension for any signs of strut leakage or any places where metal was slamming against metal and could find nothing. I put a wrench on the sway bar and end links and made sure they were tight. There is no "clunking" sound involved, it just feels like it slams too hard for an off road biased truck.
Thank you for any insight you might have.

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Probably loose sway bar links , mine had it as well....oops just read your whole statement. I would still try to snug up the sway bar links. And check the top of the strut mount and tighten those as well

DSN46

Reaction score
Thank you Memphis! I put a torque wrench on the tie-rod end nuts and made sure they were torqued properly. I will check upper strut mount bolts next.

DSN46

Reaction score
I checked torque on the upper strut nuts and they were where they needed to be also. Sigh... still wondering if this is just "normal" for this truck.
Thank you.

Memphsi87

Reaction score
I checked torque on the upper strut nuts and they were where they needed to be also. Sigh... still wondering if this is just "normal" for this truck.
Thank you.
The only other thing it might be are worn out sway bar links which is not uncommon from what I’ve seen on the forum, even ones with as little as 1500miles I’ve read

DSN46

Reaction score
Thank you Memphis. I suppose I will take it in to the dealership and ask them what they think.... I'm sure I will get the "it's normal" reply from them though.

Users who are viewing this thread