5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper Scratch Repair

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed over the weekend that somewhere along the lines late last week my truck received this ugly scratch on the front bumper. Honestly not sure what its from but I am assuming someone backed into it. The scratch is about 2.5" long and a 1/4" part of it exposes the metal. Does anyone have an idea on the procedure a body shop would do to fix this? Is this a full bumper repaint? I've thought about just sanding it down, and using touch up paint. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
IMG_7707.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7710.JPG
    IMG_7710.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 29

geotex1

Reaction score
Almost thought it was a chrome bumper until you said paint!

This can be successfully touched up to be unnoticeable from about 5 feet. Your challenge will be finding that pro who can do it! Most body shops will only do a traditional refinish of the who bumper. You need to find that shop that specializes in spot repairs. You will generally find them around major metros because bumper bopping is a city game. The repair will consist of filling, light sanding, air brush painting and blending. The metal flake will be why you'll only be able to achieve a 5-foot quality.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed over the weekend that somewhere along the lines late last week my truck received this ugly scratch on the front bumper. Honestly not sure what its from but I am assuming someone backed into it. The scratch is about 2.5" long and a 1/4" part of it exposes the metal. Does anyone have an idea on the procedure a body shop would do to fix this? Is this a full bumper repaint? I've thought about just sanding it down, and using touch up paint. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
View attachment 35083
View attachment 35084
They would
Most likely wet sand prime and paint the entire bumper. If you opt to just touch it up yourself don’t sand it just touch it up, clear it and let it ride. Grab the Mopar touch up pen.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost thought it was a chrome bumper until you said paint!

This can be successfully touched up to be unnoticeable from about 5 feet. Your challenge will be finding that pro who can do it! Most body shops will only do a traditional refinish of the who bumper. You need to find that shop that specializes in spot repairs. You will generally find them around major metros because bumper bopping is a city game. The repair will consist of filling, light sanding, air brush painting and blending. The metal flake will be why you'll only be able to achieve a 5-foot quality.

I actually received a quote just now for $752. Im assuming thats a full repaint. I am probably going to find a touch up place then cover it in PPF. My bumper is beat up now with this scrtach and rock chips.

geotex1

Reaction score
I actually received a quote just now for $752. Im assuming thats a full repaint. I am probably going to find a touch up place then cover it in PPF. My bumper is beat up now with this scrtach and rock chips.

That's a full bumper refinish for sure. That scratch would be $225-250 itself from the guy outside of Philly that's been doing spot repairs for 30 years.

If it's rough already, I agree, touching up yourself is probably good. Do so in several thin coats using a paper match or toothpick to apply. Doing so help place the paint IN the gouge without excessive overlap on the edges, which is what makes touch-ups so obvious.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may just attempt to touch up everything myself and use the money saved to get XPEL placed on the bumper. I can only hope the XPEL will help hide the touch up spots a little bit.

Reactions: MJP

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They would
Most likely wet sand prime and paint the entire bumper. If you opt to just touch it up yourself don’t sand it just touch it up, clear it and let it ride. Grab the Mopar touch up pen.
Do you have a recommendation for a touch up clear pen? I need to use the Mopar paint touch up first then a clear coat pen correct?

drstein

Reaction score
If you can find out who the Fix a Dent guy is ( or whatever they call em now) that travels to the dealer lots in your area. Repaired as Geotex stated but something like that maybe even 100.00, or less. It is minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online