5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper Material

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are our bumpers painted or is it a textured plastic material that’s on them? I’m not sure what to put on it for protection... I’ve been putting Adams VRT trim dressing on it but it doesn’t last nearly as long on the bumpers as it does on other plastic and rubber parts on the truck

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
They are all metal. Chrome, Paint or Powder coated.

Hunter Dan

Reaction score
While on the topic of the front bumper, has anybody found a black touch up paint that matches the OEM matte black color of the bumper? I tried a universal matte black but it was too matte.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
While on the topic of the front bumper, has anybody found a black touch up paint that matches the OEM matte black color of the bumper? I tried a universal matte black but it was too matte.
RXF is Mopars satin black paint code. Then they use some sort of a clear coat to protect it.
Part # is 68060406AA

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has your black paint on your bumper chipped from highway driving? I didn’t even think about getting paint protection film because it looks a lot tougher than normal paint. But I could be wrong

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Has your black paint on your bumper chipped from highway driving? I didn’t even think about getting paint protection film because it looks a lot tougher than normal paint. But I could be wrong
Get it protected....

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be misinformed but when I had ppf done they didn’t do the front bumper because it was powder coated. I’m not sure if they just didn’t want to or they couldn’t.
I was sort of thinking they wouldn’t be able to do the front bumper since the texture isn’t smooth. Imagine all the air bubbles

Hunter Dan

Reaction score
Yes, I have many rock chips on the bumper and skid plate. Just part of the price you pay for driving gravel and winter Canadian roads! I still haven't yet found a silver touch up paint to match the skip plate color. I'll have to try the RXF MannyHen recommended for the bumper.

thatbluerebel

Reaction score
Black matte plastidip matches pretty good, also that rock guard in a can. Just spray a bit in a plastic cup or inside the lid and then use a toothpic to touch the rockchips up. That way the metal won't rust.

thatbluerebel

Reaction score
I may be misinformed but when I had ppf done they didn’t do the front bumper because it was powder coated. I’m not sure if they just didn’t want to or they couldn’t.
You can't apply PPF to the bumper unfortunately, the film won't stick.

thatbluerebel

Reaction score
Yes, I have many rock chips on the bumper and skid plate. Just part of the price you pay for driving gravel and winter Canadian roads! I still haven't yet found a silver touch up paint to match the skip plate color. I'll have to try the RXF MannyHen recommended for the bumper.
PPF won't stick to the black powder coated bumpers BUT you can PPF the silver skid plate. I have my skid plate done with matte PPF and the rest of the truck with gloss PPF. Except the bumpers. Which I touch up with that rock guard in a can and a toothpick everytime I get a rockchip on it eventually when the bumpers get really beat up I'll get them Linex'd so they won't rust.
PPF the truck myself, as that's what I do for a living. 14 years experience and counting.

Attachments

• 20230604_213518.jpg
    20230604_213518.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread