5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper / active air dam

bribout

Reaction score
Anyone in or around middle TN have a front bumper and / or active air dam they pulled off their truck that they would like to part ways with. Kissed a deer the other morning !

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

23RAM

Reaction score
I’d just chunk the AAD. It doesn’t really do anything.
I've read about this...there doesn't seem to be any physical evidence either way that is conclusive.
I've run at highway speeds, with my 3.92 gears, achieving 23+ mpg on the highway, which some said was impossible (proven wrong with photographic evidence).
So in that vein, I'd defer to the manufacturer who I'm guessing spent many thousands of dollars per day in a wind tunnel to find the best way to reduce the drag coefficient for the vehicle.
So to say it "doesn't do anything" is, at best, a guess, and a wild guess at that.
Does anyone have stats to verify this claim?
Anyone with wind-tunnel stats to argue the point?

The coefficient of drag with the AAD could be small, perhaps 0.1% or less, give or take, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. So end of day, the AAD adds on a tank of fuel about a buck or two saved. Does that mean it doesn't work? No, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong...I generally don't trust big business, big tech, or government, but sometimes the truth is obfuscated by people who just don't trust anyone or anything.

It's ok, I get that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've read about this...there doesn't seem to be any physical evidence either way that is conclusive.
I've run at highway speeds, with my 3.92 gears, achieving 23+ mpg on the highway, which some said was impossible (proven wrong with photographic evidence).
So in that vein, I'd defer to the manufacturer who I'm guessing spent many thousands of dollars per day in a wind tunnel to find the best way to reduce the drag coefficient for the vehicle.
So to say it "doesn't do anything" is, at best, a guess, and a wild guess at that.
Does anyone have stats to verify this claim?
Anyone with wind-tunnel stats to argue the point?

The coefficient of drag with the AAD could be small, perhaps 0.1% or less, give or take, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. So end of day, the AAD adds on a tank of fuel about a buck or two saved. Does that mean it doesn't work? No, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong...I generally don't trust big business, big tech, or government, but sometimes the truth is obfuscated by people who just don't trust anyone or anything.

It's ok, I get that.
U aint getting 23 mpg on the highway with a HEMI and 3.92s. with or without AAD.
AAD is another expensive part to break for people to spend money on, about it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
U aint getting 23 mpg on the highway with a HEMI and 3.92s. with or without AAD.
He could have, going downhill with a tail wind. It definitely is possible.

U

User_3336

I'll need to see that photograhic evidence again, before I say it's impossible as well. (and it better be more than a 10 mile drive! LOL)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He could have, going downhill with a tail wind. It definitely is possible.
Depending on the speed he was driving. I averaged 19.5mpg, hand calculated, on a drive from Omaha to Oklahoma City. That was with average speeds at 70-75mph for most of the drive. Displayed MPG on dash was 21.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depending on the speed he was driving. I averaged 19.5mpg, hand calculated, on a drive from Omaha to Oklahoma City. That was with average speeds at 70-75mph for most of the drive. Displayed MPG on dash was 21.
Only way he's getting 23mpg for a prolonged highway drive is sitting on a trailer getting towed.
The guy I quoted admitted to resetting his trip meter on the highway and stopping it before getting off, fake mpg.
I could set my trip meter down the mountain and show my mpg after I coasted the entire way down too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only way he's getting 23mpg for a prolonged highway drive is sitting on a trailer getting towed.
The guy I quoted admitted to resetting his trip meter on the highway and stopping it before getting off, fake mpg.
I could set my trip meter down the mountain and show my mpg after I coasted the entire way down too.
When my truck was on stock suspension, wheels and tires, I could easily average 23mpg if I was cruising on a straight, mostly flat, 60mph highway. Not every road is 70+ mph

U

User_3336

When my truck was on stock suspension, wheels and tires, I could easily average 23mpg if I was cruising on a straight, mostly flat, 60mph highway. Not every road is 70+ mph
AVERAGE over what span of miles?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Stock truck, 60 mph flat smooth road, no wind, with the cruise set, it’s possible

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
AVERAGE over what span of miles?
Depends on how long the road is. If I could get through an entire tank of gas, then 400+ miles. Not sure why people think this is some difficult thing to do. And, my truck has 3.92 gears. 😱

23RAM

Reaction score
I'll need to see that photograhic evidence again, before I say it's impossible as well. (and it better be more than a 10 mile drive! LOL)
Here's the pic again (click to enlarge). It's an average over a 40 mile highway run at 68 mph with some hills and valleys using cruise control. Picture taken at the end of an off-ramp sitting at a traffic light. Stock truck with 3.92 rear and about 3800 miles (6100 km) on the odometer:
mpg.jpg
There's nothing "fake" or impossible about it. My last average for a tank of 87 octane for city/hwy was down a bit to 15 due to some weekend boat towing. In the winter at -20 and snow on the ground, it plummets due to warm up, clearing snow, idling, driving slower, etc. That's expected. But to say a 5.7L with 3.92's in nice weather can't get 23 on the highway is clearly wrong. Of course, some say they can't get 20 on the highway with 3.21 gears.

23RAM

Reaction score
Stock truck, 60 mph flat smooth road, no wind, with the cruise set, it’s possible
Actually the 62 mph highway is varied around here...lots of flat stretches but there's plenty of hills and valleys mixed in. As you know, going downhill mpg increases and going uphill it drops, but it averages out.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Has anyone compared truck average mpg to calculated mpg? I did when I towed my camper 1500 miles and it was pretty close. Of course I was getting 6 mpg.

23RAM

Reaction score
Has anyone compared truck average mpg to calculated mpg?
Yes, when I first picked up the truck, the first few tanks I hand calculated the average mileage and it was +/- a bit within about 1%...same as my SUV and boat for accuracy. Many miles later, I hand calculated a tank and I got slightly better than indicated, but still within the margin of error. I have noticed that highway cruising mileage has increased slightly since putting on about 4k from new. City is about the same.

irishwake63

Reaction score
On a recent trip I filled up and went 84 miles at 70 mph got to my destination and filled up again 3.3 gal truck computer says I was doing 23.2 avg and was reset at beginning of trip with the 3.3 gal at 84 miles is 25 mpg I have the 22 Quad with 3.21 and 5.7 Hemi so as far as hand calc Id say thats pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread