5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bullet Liner bed liner...not impressed.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
So I just had my bed sprayed by Bullet liner at a local shop that has great reviews here in OKC. Overall I’m not too happy with it. The lines aren’t super clean and some overspray can be seen near where the bed meets the cab.

I am not an overly picky person but my Laramie has less than 200 miles and I wanted it to be perfect. Also the installer chipped my paint near the bed. I was told to see how much it will be to fix it and they will cover it. Unlikely it will be able to be fixed or even be worth it since I have the ivory tri coat. I am seeing a body shop tomorrow.. 83A25C79-D036-4924-9E12-68BDB58B8519.jpeg 68C1D577-B2FB-4604-AAA1-596D9625E734.jpeg 83A25C79-D036-4924-9E12-68BDB58B8519.jpeg 8BE6AD76-77C2-4510-AAFA-B35B0397D338.jpeg 3D9F8AF6-FF26-4421-AC09-70DDD8D1AF99.jpeg 562B9A11-7F7A-4D9C-AEBC-F52AAD83BB83.jpeg 05ED1A2B-2787-4CC2-A29D-57D81EEF99ED.jpeg 68C1D577-B2FB-4604-AAA1-596D9625E734.jpeg

79 300

Reaction score
Looks like a sloppy masking job to me. A lot of people will say "It's only a truck, don't worry about it" but I am picky too. I can see why you are not happy.

If repairing that chip/scratch requires repainting the entire bedside though, I would let it alone , or just put a little touch-up paint on it. I can almost guarantee if some shop re-sprays the panel, which is what they will most likely do, you will be in for a whole new set of problems and complaints. It is always best to keep the factory paint if at all possible.

Nate4x4

Reaction score
Okay, but how does the spray perform in overall protection.

geotex1

Reaction score
Looks like your issue is with the installer more than the lining material. I would be fuming too. How a spray-in comes out is all with its prep and skill of the nozzle operator. It looks like they didn't really give the prep the attention it needed. I've never seen a tailgate jamb finished like that. The overspray at the can can be cleaned up, but that chip isn't so easy. Hopefully the shop does right by you.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
Looks like a sloppy masking job to me. A lot of people will say "It's only a truck, don't worry about it" but I am picky too. I can see why you are not happy.

If repairing that chip/scratch requires repainting the entire bedside though, I would let it alone , or just put a little touch-up paint on it. I can almost guarantee if some shop re-sprays the panel, which is what they will most likely do, you will be in for a whole new set of problems and complaints. It is always best to keep the factory paint if at all possible.

Yeah basically that is what the dealer said about the paint. I am mainly looking to just get the chip filled in and sealed. Re spraying would be be impossible to make it come out like factory. The more I think about it the more upset I get. Should have just gone with the line x install.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that scratch is not going to be easy to repair. might have to remove the plastic bed rail. i doubt a full respray will be needed, but an area of about a square foot will need to be included in the repair.

that is a prime example of a rushed pi$$ poor masking job. i would have the great reviewed shop fix it to your satisfaction. Pure BS!

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Agree with everyone that it was a lazy worker just trying to get you in and out.
And I wouldnt care what the cost. They would be paying to fix that scratch. Not just a fill and cover up.
It because people being nice about things like this in the past and letting them slide that they do mediocre work and probably get good reiviews.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
Agree with everyone that it was a lazy worker just trying to get you in and out.
And I wouldnt care what the cost. They would be paying to fix that scratch. Not just a fill and cover up.
It because people being nice about things like this in the past and letting them slide that they do mediocre work and probably get good reiviews.
Do you or anybody here know if it is possible to remove the overspray and **** line jobs around the tailgate jam to clean it up or is it pretty much a done deal? I really don’t have faith in a body shop being able to match the ivory tri coat. The dealer explained today that it is applied at the factory in four separate coats so he advised against trying to match it exactly. Basically it might look okay at one angle but could look way off at another angle. I’d rather just have the little spot filled than to deal with that. Also I will go back tomorrow for and work something out with the installer. I want a full refund and the coating cleaned up.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Do you or anybody here know if it is possible to remove the overspray and **** line jobs around the tailgate jam to clean it up or is it pretty much a done deal? I really don’t have faith in a body shop being able to match the ivory tri coat. The dealer explained today that it is applied at the factory in four separate coats so he advised against trying to match it exactly. Basically it might look okay at one angle but could look way off at another angle. I’d rather just have the little spot filled than to deal with that. Also I will go back tomorrow for and work something out with the installer. I want a full refund and the coating cleaned up.

I have no idea if you can remove that stuff. But I would still hold the shop responsible. You paid for a product and service. Dont have to be mean about it, but the should fulfill their end.
I just have seeing shops get away with half assed work

Richard Rex

Reaction score
I have no idea if you can remove that stuff. But I would still hold the shop responsible. You paid for a product and service. Dont have to be mean about it, but the should fulfill their end.
I just have seeing shops get away with half assed work
Gotcha. Will go back tomorrow and see what I can do.

geotex1

Reaction score

The overspray is no problem. The tailgate jamb is likely permanent as it would have been prepped (scuffed up) for the liner to bite onto.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'd imagine the only way to fix the sloppy lines it to peal it up and respray it, I'm no expert but when I had mine line-x'd he said it dries in less than 5 minutes and its fully hard in 2-3 days. So I'm thinking once they're done spraying they immediately have to pull up the masking tape in order to get clean lines. but if someone knows more about the process feel free to correct me.

Shadow14

Reaction score
I have a Bullet liner that was done last August and it has held up with no peeling or fading. They did a good job of masking and I did not have any of the issues shown in the pics.
In regard to the process steps they had a video on the Bullet website that ran through how they do it.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
For those who are interested:
The installer of the bullet liner has agreed to fix the sloppy job as best as possible as well as apply a UV coating which is normally an extra 100$ and give me a full refund. As for the paint chip, multiple body shops and the dealer advised against having it re sprayed as they would have to strip a good amount of paint around the chip and “feather “ the paint as they apply it quoted at ($989). The bullet liner installer did say they would pay for it but I am just not willing to risk it. I already got the chip filled in and it is hardly noticeable.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
For those who are interested:
The installer of the bullet liner has agreed to fix the sloppy job as best as possible as well as apply a UV coating which is normally an extra 100$ and give me a full refund. As for the paint chip, multiple body shops and the dealer advised against having it re sprayed as they would have to strip a good amount of paint around the chip and “feather “ the paint as they apply it quoted at ($989). The bullet liner installer did say they would pay for it but I am just not willing to risk it. I already got the chip filled in and it is hardly noticeable.
Wow, it’s unfortunate what happened but it sounds like they really wanted to make things right.

Users who are viewing this thread