5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Build quality of late 23 final 24 s

Kamper

Reaction score
Im about to buy a 24 Laramie w a great build package. While I dont like the 22's (well they do look nice) I am curious about the 12 inch Connect 5 overall. Any thing I should look at specifically?

I have a 19 Laramie that has needed nothing but oil, new tires and front end sway bar links. other than that - rock solid.

And if you care to weigh on waiting for new 25 - have at it - :)

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know that it's anything you can look for, but my late model 23 is one of the glitchiest vehicles I've ever owned. I purchased it because my last 3 Rams were nearly flawless. This one is so glitchy, I am beginning to regret my purchase and if it continues I will trade for a GMC Denali.

I currently have less than 8000 miles on the odometer and below are the issues I've experienced so far.
  • Tom Tom navigation system randomly crashes and reboots while navigating down the highway
  • Navigation system doesn't crash, but often just stops navigating as if you have never entered a route
  • Navigation system occasionally won't allow you to enter a destination...requires you turn off and restart the truck.
  • Climate control system occasionally gets stuck in defrost mode...must restart vehicle to switch modes.
  • Apple car play just randomly disconnects and will not reconnect until after next start.
  • Music or audio played through carplay will go through long periods of cutting out. Plays fine if you disconnect carplay and just play over bluetooth, but that's a pain if you are using your phone's navigation because the truck's Tom Tom is acting up.
  • Fog lights randomly just turn off. Push the button again and they come back on.
  • Nearly all driver assist systems occasionally become inoperative when washing the truck.
  • Thread on steering wheel unraveling.
I plan on taking it to the dealer for the steering wheel issue and will mention all the other issues but they are so random, I have no faith that they will fix any of them.

Whether or not these items are fixed under warranty is really irrelevant to my satisfaction. My goal has never been to buy a truck with a good warranty; my goal was to by a truck that was unlikely to need a warranty. Based on my experience with my last 3 Rams, that what I was expecting with this one. How disappointing.

Kamper

Reaction score
wow - interesting in the wrong way! Sorry to hear of your troubles - sincerely!!

yeah - im looking at some screaming good deals on fully optioned 24's - and back into full warranty etc... already have a great trade/buy price for mine so its almost too good to pass on. And I have been a bit more concerned about 1st year problems for all the new tech/drivetrain that sticking with what I know seemed/seems a better idea - I will be sure to be very methodical on my pre-purchase once over - a little more now.

Duuane

Reaction score
I agree with OP about previous RAMS being good and the 2024 problematic. My 2024 Ram Big Horn 1500 has less than 200 miles on it and already has problems. The day of pickup, 9 days ago, the check engine light was on before I got off the lot. I waited hours for repair and was sent home with a used Ram from their lot. They fixed a pinched wire and delivered it to me the next day, 50 miles one way. I haven't driven it at night, so last night I went out in my driveway to go over the touch screen and the different way the new one presents the content. With the headlights on, all of the lighting for the steering wheel features flashed randomly and the phone call feature would not work at all. The cruise control worked in the day and continued to work on a test drive after seeing the flashing lights last night. Trying to use a phone music app has also been problematic. So far that's what I've found to be a problem. I plan to be at the service center front door when they open this morning.

I have read many posts on this site and decided to join last week so I could pose a question about another topic. It said there was a problem, something about needing a recipient, and needing to include/enter at least one character. Can anyone tell me what those things are and how I do that? I looked for a way to email an administrator but couldn't find one or just missed it.

I will add any usable info I get about my wiring issue after talking with service.

Kamper

Reaction score
Morning - just read the threads about dead batteries via possible issues w TBM, updates, Ram app etc...

For me thus far - not an issue or problem and everything has operated as it should. I have a business trip so truck will be parked outside for the next 4 days at airport. Im now getting a little anxious about coming back to dead truck but going to look at things and also make sure my roadside assistance stuff is handy if necessary. I love the truck and it seems a more refined version of my 2019 in numerous ways. Maybe I got lucky and sorry for those that are having the recurring issues. Hopefully I won't be reporting back differently after Wednesday.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im now getting a little anxious about coming back to dead truck but going to look at things and also make sure my roadside assistance stuff is handy if necessary.

People report problems; they don't report problems they don't have. Therefore, social media will be filled with posts from people reporting problems but not posts from overwhelming majority of people who will never have that problem.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 22 built in late 22 has Uconnect 5 too. 22 and 23 are same things, only 22 doesn't have the option of digital gauge cluster.
That said, my 22 Rebel has been flawless. In the first few months of ownership there were some UC5 glitches and carplay sometimes froze, but I chalk it up to my previous iPhone's problem. No Carplay problem or any other issues after I changed to iPhone 15 Pro max

Wirerat

Reaction score
This is a non etorque, non-nav 8.4 2020 truck w/30k miles.

Issues to date:
1. Seat belt retractor
2. Cab vent clogged

Both these issues fixed in driveway. Seat belt was like $200 part with shipping and vent was clogged with leaves.

Not exactly apples to apples but sharing anyway.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Im about to buy a 24 Laramie w a great build package. While I dont like the 22's (well they do look nice) I am curious about the 12 inch Connect 5 overall. Any thing I should look at specifically?

I have a 19 Laramie that has needed nothing but oil, new tires and front end sway bar links. other than that - rock solid.

And if you care to weigh on waiting for new 25 - have at it - :)
I've owned my 2022 Longhorn ED for just over two years and it has been problem-free, not even a rattle or squeak. The only work done to it was the HPFP recall.

Now, let's talk about Uconnect 5. When I first got the vehicle, small things, for example, gasoline prices were not showing up on the map. The community here suggested a reset, which I did, and it took about 24 hours after the rest for all the features to show up. The over-the-air updates are a cringe moment. Sometimes you don't know they happened and other times the update trashes the unit for several hours before everything starts working again.

I run Android Auto (wirelessly) exclusively, without issues. Waze is my main navigation app.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know that it's anything you can look for, but my late model 23 is one of the glitchiest vehicles I've ever owned. I purchased it because my last 3 Rams were nearly flawless. This one is so glitchy, I am beginning to regret my purchase and if it continues I will trade for a GMC Denali.

I currently have less than 8000 miles on the odometer and below are the issues I've experienced so far.
  • Tom Tom navigation system randomly crashes and reboots while navigating down the highway
  • Navigation system doesn't crash, but often just stops navigating as if you have never entered a route
  • Navigation system occasionally won't allow you to enter a destination...requires you turn off and restart the truck.
  • Climate control system occasionally gets stuck in defrost mode...must restart vehicle to switch modes.
  • Apple car play just randomly disconnects and will not reconnect until after next start.
  • Music or audio played through carplay will go through long periods of cutting out. Plays fine if you disconnect carplay and just play over bluetooth, but that's a pain if you are using your phone's navigation because the truck's Tom Tom is acting up.
  • Fog lights randomly just turn off. Push the button again and they come back on.
  • Nearly all driver assist systems occasionally become inoperative when washing the truck.
  • Thread on steering wheel unraveling.
I plan on taking it to the dealer for the steering wheel issue and will mention all the other issues but they are so random, I have no faith that they will fix any of them.

Whether or not these items are fixed under warranty is really irrelevant to my satisfaction. My goal has never been to buy a truck with a good warranty; my goal was to by a truck that was unlikely to need a warranty. Based on my experience with my last 3 Rams, that what I was expecting with this one. How disappointing.
If you have systems that go out after washing the truck, then you probably ha e a connector tht isn't pushed together all the way or not sealed letting water in. Possibly a wheel sensor.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have systems that go out after washing the truck, then you probably ha e a connector tht isn't pushed together all the way or not sealed letting water in. Possibly a wheel sensor.

I'm guessing it was related to all the soap and wax that was completely blocking windshield and other sensors while the truck was running and it just freaked the systems out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing it was related to all the soap and wax that was completely blocking windshield and other sensors while the truck was running and it just freaked the systems out.
Transmission should be in park or neutral going through an automatic car wash, so sensors shouldnt be freaked out

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Transmission should be in park or neutral going through an automatic car wash, so sensors shouldnt be freaked out

Not sure why that would matter. Some, if not all, systems are still active when in park. E.g. My rain sensing wipers don't stop just because the truck is in park.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why that would matter. Some, if not all, systems are still active when in park. E.g. My rain sensing wipers don't stop just because the truck is in park.
Are rain sensing wipers considered "drivers assist". To me that would be more adaptive cruise control, ABS, park assist,.....

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are rain sensing wipers considered "drivers assist". To me that would be more adaptive cruise control, ABS, park assist,.....

To me, anything that happens automatically to assist the driver is driver assist. In addition to the few you mentioned it would also include rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, blind spot monitoring, etc.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To me, anything that happens automatically to assist the driver is driver assist. In addition to the few you mentioned it would also include rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, blind spot monitoring, etc.
I guess we would need to see what the person I replied to defines it as.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess we would need to see what the person I replied to defines it as.

LOL! Since I was the person with the issue and the one you replied to I guess you no longer need to wait to see how I define it.

Davidbt

Reaction score
This is a non etorque, non-nav 8.4 2020 truck w/30k miles.

Issues to date:
1. Seat belt retractor
2. Cab vent clogged

Both these issues fixed in driveway. Seat belt was like $200 part with shipping and vent was clogged with leaves.

Not exactly apples to apples but sharing anyway.
I bought my 2021 Big Horn in September 2022 with 11,300 miles on it. It's been a great truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL! Since I was the person with the issue and the one you replied to I guess you no longer need to wait to see how I define it.
Forgot who I initially replied to and wasn't going to scroll up to see.

I'd still say it's a water intrusion issue if its effecting all systems and not just your rain sensing wipers. I would think you would turn those off going through a car wash anyways. The last thing you want is you wipers going when the cloths are hitting windshield.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot who I initially replied to and wasn't going to scroll up to see.

I'd still say it's a water intrusion issue if its effecting all systems and not just your rain sensing wipers. I would think you would turn those off going through a car wash anyways. The last thing you want is you wipers going when the cloths are hitting windshield.

I do turn the rain sensitive washers off while in the wash and I turn them on when I leave. I think too many systems were impacted for it to be a water getting in a connector.

Users who are viewing this thread