5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Build a Big Horn or Buy a Rebel

Reaction score
So my decision to buy a Ran was validated by this forum. I was originally deciding to buy a Rebel lvl 1, but a friend pointed out something else.

My priorities are a locking rear diff, 12” screen, decent speakers, a small lift to get 35’s, and leather seats.

I’m now thinking I may as well just buy a Big Horn level B with the backcountry package, then add some Fox suspension and 35’s and order the custom Clazzio leather seats. Has anyone done something similar?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What am I missing - the Rebel already has what you are looking for. My Rebel had black leather front and back.

Reaction score
What am I missing - the Rebel already has what you are looking for. My Rebel had black leather front and back.

I guess I’m wondering if it’s worth it to just buy a Big horn level B with Back country, then put a better lift kit on it than the Rebel gets since I can get a Big Horn much cheaper than a Rebel.

Idk if I’m wrong in pricing but it looks like I can get that set up and have left over dough for a new front bumper and random accessories. I’m not sure if I’m overlooking anything though.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats the reasoning behind a better suspension, are you actually going to be pushing it past its limits where you need something better? Leather slip on seat covers look well like leather slip on seat covers. Rebel right off the bat looks better and more capable but if you’re wanting a project then big horn. I would still stick with the Rebel if you can afford it.

Rebel should have ventilated seats, locking diff, and can still fit 35s with a basic leveling (Bilstein 5100s), led taillights/headlights standard (unless they changed this again), the bulk of aftermarket bumpers look goofy and stick out like a sore thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Whats the reasoning behind a better suspension, are you actually going to be pushing it past its limits where you need something better? Leather slip on seat covers look well like leather slip on seat covers. Rebel right off the bat looks better and more capable but if you’re wanting a project then big horn. I would still stick with the Rebel if you can afford it.

Rebel should have ventilated seats, locking diff, and can still fit 35s with a basic leveling (Bilstein 5100s), led taillights/headlights standard (unless they changed this again), the bulk of aftermarket bumpers look goofy and stick out like a sore thumb.

I just prefer the look of a bigger lift. The Rebel’s capabilities are fine for me, I do light off roading, but I like the look of a larger lift and who knows what the future holds.

I do want the ventilated seats, and I’d make sure I have a locking diff. I’m going to put in an order soon for the ram but will still most likely go Rebel.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just prefer the look of a bigger lift. The Rebel’s capabilities are fine for me, I do light off roading, but I like the look of a larger lift and who knows what the future holds.

I do want the ventilated seats, and I’d make sure I have a locking diff. I’m going to put in an order soon for the ram but will still most likely go Rebel.

Vented are definitely not available in the back country…or any bighorn trim.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel is a better looking truck and more than capable - I have a limited now and there are days I miss my Rebel

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel is a better looking truck and more than capable - I have a limited now and there are days I miss my Rebel

I had a rebel, Laramie and now the big horn back country. Pricing becomes a factor to be honest…but I saved money on trading in my rebel for my back country because I wanted the rambox. Had to save money somewhere at the time. Now they don’t have the rambox on lower trims…which sucks.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the Level 2 Big Horn. As stated above, pricing is an issue and I opted for a lower level trim knowing I’d Lift it and mod it anyway. So for me a Rebel didn’t make sense. I’m very happy how my build has come along and would make the decision again. Here is my Big Horn next to two stock Rebels. IMG_9752.jpeg IMG_9751.jpeg

Reaction score
I went with the Level 2 Big Horn. As stated above, pricing is an issue and I opted for a lower level trim knowing I’d Lift it and mod it anyway. So for me a Rebel didn’t make sense. I’m very happy how my build has come along and would make the decision again. Here is my Big Horn next to two stock Rebels. View attachment 172535 View attachment 172536
It looks great!

Yea it really comes down to price. Im reaching out to some dealers now to give me the best offer and I’ll see what it comes out to

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel would still be a better starting off point even if you do upgrade the lift eventually. There’s a chance you”ll be adding enough to a Big Horn to get it to that level.

Back in 20 when I was looking to order I was set on a Big Horn then built a Laramie sport level 1 to compare it turns out for not much more I was In a Laramie and avoided immediately dumping what I would of into a Big horn to get leather etc and man was I thankful for the ventilated seats come summer time after working out in the heat all day. Probably the only vehicle I left alone for the first 2 years normally I’m one to
Immediately change things to my liking.

Dk if this matters but Im not sure if you can go leather on a Big Horn still unless you go BTS edition if thats concerns you.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks great!

Yea it really comes down to price. Im reaching out to some dealers now to give me the best offer and I’ll see what it comes out to
Keep looking around for a rebel...especially one that has been sitting on the lot. You might get a great deal right now.

However, you will find more discounts on the bighorn trims. If I had to do it again. And pricing was within $1k-2k...I would get a rebel.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picture of my back country next to the rebel
458a8b73ef45481eae6519dc92a99098.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep always comes down to price if you save enough off I’m sure you”ll be plenty happy in a Big Horn lol I would be too.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you just want to run 35s get the Big g Horn with th Off Road Group and you can get some 285/75/18s in there stock. No need for the Back Country trim unless you prefer the aesthetics.

Add some Bilstien 5100s for n and be of the lower clips for a little breathing room and better suspension performance that’s on par with Rebel.

Only thing you are missing vs a Level 1 Rebel front skid plate, led headlights and leather (if that’s what you want to call the Rebels optional seating), all of which the aftermarket can help with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbcncsu

Reaction score
I have a well equipped BigHorn Back Country and it has ALMOST everything it wanted. The only thing that is missing is ventilated seats. Other than that, I optioned it up with Level 2, Back County, Sunroof, 9 speaker Alpine, Rear wheel liners and trailer brake controller. It is a great truck but it stickered over $62K. I think you can do better with a Rebel, honestly. A Rebel GT would be fun.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a well equipped BigHorn Back Country and it has ALMOST everything it wanted. The only thing that is missing is ventilated seats. Other than that, I optioned it up with Level 2, Back County, Sunroof, 9 speaker Alpine, Rear wheel liners and trailer brake controller. It is a great truck but it stickered over $62K. I think you can do better with a Rebel, honestly. A Rebel GT would be fun.
Oh absolutely. Stock for stock, can't really beat a rebel. But if your building a specific type of truck, it's better so save some money early and get a lower trim, then build up the way you want it.

I do miss my ventilated front seats and the back seats reclined a little...kids loved that option...but kids are grown and out of the house now...lol

Users who are viewing this thread