5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown Sludge on Coolant Dipstick?

GregSLC66

Reaction score
Similar issue with mine, turned out to be a failed oil cooler and cross contamination. Apparently it’s a thing with the 5.7 hemi 2019s?? Covered under extended warrantee for me. Good luck if that’s what it is for you.

Dallas Aggie

Reaction score
Similar issue with mine, turned out to be a failed oil cooler and cross contamination. Apparently it’s a thing with the 5.7 hemi 2019s?? Covered under extended warrantee for me. Good luck if that’s what it is for you.
Just dropped my 2019 off at the dealer with same cross contamination. They are going to look for the issue and call me this week.

Assuming I have the same oil cooler issue how long did it take to repair?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Took mine in when I first noticed this awhile back they said they ram a pressure test or whatever and everything was normal. But since reading this I wonder if they over looked this issue. It still have sludge since then

Dallas Aggie

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the service advisor. Tech did a pressure test and found that the oil cooler failed allowing oil to get into the coolant and radiator. He said they ordered a new radiator, oil cooler and all hoses to replace.

He said the oil coolers fail on the 2019’s frequently due to the design. He said Ram changed the design starting 2021 and that I will be getting the new design.

shktrk

Reaction score
Is this cross contamination covered under our standard 5-year power train warranty?

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my "new to me truck". I bought it with about 50,000kms and smelt coolant outside the truck. When checking the coolant dip stick there was a sludge on the dipstick and it looked low. I took it back in to the dealer and they inspected it for leaks couldn't find any and just toped up coolant....

View attachment 167655 View attachment 167656 View attachment 167657
Had this exact same issue. Friend of mine kept telling me he smelt antifreeze when he was in my truck the last few weeks, I can't smell sweet sh!t apparently, because a second guy told me the same thing.

I check the reservoir, it was bone dry and this exact slug on the dipstick. 22 ram, 88000km owned since new always serviced at the dealer. Never leaked, no drips on the driveway, no mess under the body when I changed the sway bar bushings in October, and end links in December, and it never got hot (even hitting gravel roads for hours on end in +30 Celsius during hunting season with the a/c cranked).mind you, I don't check the reservoir. I trust the gauges and the billion sensors to tell me if it was hot. Dealer oil changes and tire rotations every 6000km. Someone would have noticed.

Took it to a different dealer, they believed somehow one of those rad leak pluggers was poured in. Since the truck had full warranty and was "peace of mind" inspected every oil change, I didn't think that was the case.
The only thing I noticed was when I checked, the reservoir cap was very loose. Dealer did an oil change, "a piece of mind" inspection and topped up the reservoir. Nothing in the oil. I assume they would take the rad cap off and check for build up or issues. No drips in the driveway, no drips under the hood in the last 2 days either.

I'm at a loss for what caused it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had this exact same issue. Friend of mine kept telling me he smelt antifreeze when he was in my truck the last few weeks, I can't smell sweet sh!t apparently, because a second guy told me the same thing.

I check the reservoir, it was bone dry and this exact slug on the dipstick. 22 ram, 88000km owned since new always serviced at the dealer. Never leaked, no drips on the driveway, no mess under the body when I changed the sway bar bushings in October, and end links in December, and it never got hot (even hitting gravel roads for hours on end in +30 Celsius during hunting season with the a/c cranked).mind you, I don't check the reservoir. I trust the gauges and the billion sensors to tell me if it was hot. Dealer oil changes and tire rotations every 6000km. Someone would have noticed.

Took it to a different dealer, they believed somehow one of those rad leak pluggers was poured in. Since the truck had full warranty and was "peace of mind" inspected every oil change, I didn't think that was the case.
The only thing I noticed was when I checked, the reservoir cap was very loose. Dealer did an oil change, "a piece of mind" inspection and topped up the reservoir. Nothing in the oil. I assume they would take the rad cap off and check for build up or issues. No drips in the driveway, no drips under the hood in the last 2 days either.

I'm at a loss for what caused it.
I doubt your reservoir was gone dry. Probably just below the dipstick level, so they topped off the coolant. Coolant is still 50% or more of water that will evaporate. It's not something you just ignore until there is an issue. Checking coolant level when you check your oil level(you do that between changes right?), is just common sense preventative maintenance. Top off as needed. If the one dealer suspected a leak stop was added to the coolant, why didn't you request a coolant flush to get that crap out? And what was their reasoning for thinking that was the issue?

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I doubt your reservoir was gone dry. Probably just below the dipstick level, so they topped off the coolant. Coolant is still 50% or more of water that will evaporate. It's not something you just ignore until there is an issue. Checking coolant level when you check your oil level(you do that between changes right?), is just common sense preventative maintenance. Top off as needed. If the one dealer suspected a leak stop was added to the coolant, why didn't you request a coolant flush to get that crap out? And what was their reasoning for thinking that was the issue?
There Was no reason they thought leak stop was added aside from looking at the dipstick and the service advisor called a mechanic to the front who looked at it and said, huh weird...might be leak stop residue. no in-depth analysis. Just 30 second look.

As for top offs of coolant, nope. every 6000km I go for my dealer peace of mind inspection and oil changes/scheduled maintenance.which covers checks of all fluids, checks for leaks etc.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There Was no reason they thought leak stop was added aside from looking at the dipstick and the service advisor called a mechanic to the front who looked at it and said, huh weird...might be leak stop residue. no in-depth analysis. Just 30 second look.

As for top offs of coolant, nope. every 6000km I go for my dealer peace of mind inspection and oil changes/scheduled maintenance.which covers checks of all fluids, checks for leaks etc.
Doesn't mean they actually perform said checks, other than just oil level

gpbst3

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the service advisor. Tech did a pressure test and found that the oil cooler failed allowing oil to get into the coolant and radiator. He said they ordered a new radiator, oil cooler and all hoses to replace.

He said the oil coolers fail on the 2019’s frequently due to the design. He said Ram changed the design starting 2021 and that I will be getting the new design.

My 19' was just in for an inspection and my shop said I have the brown sludge coolant. The did a coolant flush and fill.

Now im wondering if I have a bigger issue.

Users who are viewing this thread