5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken rear wheel stud

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s was time to install my original summer Duratrac on my truck, a stud broke on the rear wheel when I was torquing it, I did not even reach the torque, it felt weird it just kept turning until the stud completely broke off, the stud threads were stretched. I never use an impact wrench to remove or install my tires to eliminate the wear on the lug nuts.
It was the dealer that had removed the wheels for balancing last fall.
I was lucky that the dealer had a stud in stock, just over $4, and was able to replace the stud by removing the brake calliper and disc brake, thankfully it was the only stud that was stretched, it would have been a big job if my truck was a classic because the axle would have to be removed to replace the stud.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s was time to install my original summer Duratrac on my truck, a stud broke on the rear wheel when I was torquing it, I did not even reach the torque, it felt weird it just kept turning until the stud completely broke off, the stud threads were stretched. I never use an impact wrench to remove or install my tires to eliminate the wear on the lug nuts.
It was the dealer that had removed the wheels for balancing last fall.
I was lucky that the dealer had a stud in stock, just over $4, and was able to replace the stud by removing the brake calliper and disc brake, thankfully it was the only stud that was stretched, it would have been a big job if my truck was a classic because the axle would have to be removed to replace the stud.
Glad you were able to get it replaced.
Dealers are notorious for going to town with the impacts and over torquing wheels, even knowing that they’re not supposed to do that.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get it replaced.
Dealers are notorious for going to town with the impacts and over torquing wheels, even knowing that they’re not supposed to do that.
Thanks, I had told the service fellow that they had I installed the winter wheels on my truck and he replied “well that’s a tough one”
He said that the mechanics never replaced studs on the DT 1500’s yet and he wasn’t sure if there was enough room between the antilock disc behind the hub and the backing plate, and the axle might have to be removed. Fortunately this was not the case and I replaced the broken stud.

Users who are viewing this thread