5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Manifold Bolts

Glock10mm

Reaction score
So this is my 4th hemi ram, I have been a die hard Mopar guy owning 10+ over the years, 6 being brand new, so far my last 3 hemi rams have all had manifold issues very early on.... my 2020 is now at the dealer with 25k miles on it and they are saying it's broken bolts. Is there a fix to this? If they fix it am I going to be in there in another 25k with the same problem? What about when the warranty is up? Am I going to be out of pocket paying for this as routine maintenance? I'm getting a little disheartened here, what is a long term resolution to this to make it dependable outside of trading it in and having a bowtie on the grill?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Proper header bolts, but I wonder about that. The issue, as we all know, is the 2 types of metal, maybe if the bolts are too hardcore some other issue might present itself - just a guess.

To answer the question regarding warranty, it won’t be covered later. That was the case with my 14, guessing it’s the same now.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Proper header bolts, but I wonder about that. The issue, as we all know, is the 2 types of metal, maybe if the bolts are too hardcore some other issue might present itself - just a guess.
You might be right about that. I suspect the manifolds are the next weakest link...

Maybe aftermarket headers and better fasteners is the answer.

Glock10mm

Reaction score
So the dealer called me and said upon further investigation they found that my left manifold warped and cracked, they say they are unable to provide me with a date as to when they can fix it because the manifolds now come as a kit and they are back ordered, I brought up using aftermarket and they said they don't know what it will remedy anything but they do know it will void my warranty. How annoying.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the dealer called me and said upon further investigation they found that my left manifold warped and cracked, they say they are unable to provide me with a date as to when they can fix it because the manifolds now come as a kit and they are back ordered, I brought up using aftermarket and they said they don't know what it will remedy anything but they do know it will void my warranty. How annoying.
It would only void the warranty on the manifolds, should not void any other part of warranty.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
On average around 5-600 for shorties, I know for sure after having dealt with this issue once already that I would go that route. Funny how it works, not covered under warranty but will affect your warranty. I understand that there’s more to that than just headers, which brings up an important question - do shorties ever affect the heads in a negative way? I know of the +s but less so of the -s

Glock10mm

Reaction score
On average around 5-600 for shorties, I know for sure after having dealt with this issue once already that I would go that route. Funny how it works, not covered under warranty but will affect your warranty. I understand that there’s more to that than just headers, which brings up an important question - do shorties ever affect the heads in a negative way? I know of the +s but less so of the -s
Yeah I'm also wondering if tuning would be required for shortys? Because I know they frown at tuning also when it comes to warranties, and If the manifolds are warping and breaking bolts would stronger bolts and manifolds end up making the head a weak point and breaking the head?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Yeah I'm also wondering if tuning would be required for shortys? Because I know they frown at tuning also when it comes to warranties, and If the manifolds are warping and breaking bolts would stronger bolts and manifolds end up making the head a weak point and breaking the head?
I’ll be doing some reading, that much I know for sure

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of guys with 4th gens have done shorties without issues, no tunes required. YMMV, but most should not require a tune. As others have said, that may void any warranty on your exhaust system, but it shouldn't void your warranty overall. Many shady dealers will try that though.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is my 4th hemi ram, I have been a die hard Mopar guy owning 10+ over the years, 6 being brand new, so far my last 3 hemi rams have all had manifold issues very early on.... my 2020 is now at the dealer with 25k miles on it and they are saying it's broken bolts. Is there a fix to this? If they fix it am I going to be in there in another 25k with the same problem? What about when the warranty is up? Am I going to be out of pocket paying for this as routine maintenance? I'm getting a little disheartened here, what is a long term resolution to this to make it dependable outside of trading it in and having a bowtie on the grill?
This should be under warranty for this still! I know a guy who’s getting his fixed with almost 60,000 miles, he was told it falls under the 5 / 60,000 pt warranty!? Good luck! I had unresolved issues with my 19 lemon and now my 21 with only 9600 miles has electrical issues😩 not sure what I’ll but next, but I can tell you it will not be a RAM!🤬

Glock10mm

Reaction score
This should be under warranty for this still! I know a guy who’s getting his fixed with almost 60,000 miles, he was told it falls under the 5 / 60,000 pt warranty!? Good luck! I had unresolved issues with my 19 lemon and now my 21 with only 9600 miles has electrical issues😩 not sure what I’ll but next, but I can tell you it will not be a RAM!🤬
My 2018 had manifold and electrical issues too.
Part of the reason I jumped on my 2020, I was hoping after almost 20 years of manifold problems dodge might be able to figure it out, but here I am again..... my screen has some sort of issues going on too, flickers, freezes, gets lines flashing across it, but doesn't ever seem to do it for the dealer 🤬 I also was having issues where it would start and just shut off lol, did it half a dozen times for the first 10k miles and hasn't done it since.

MoPartinez

Reaction score
My
My 2016 had manifold bolts break twice. 1st time (50k) dealer took care of it & the second time (about 80k and out of warranty) I did it and I replaced the factory bolts with grade 12 Allen head bolts (aircraft grade). Only problem was making the heat shields work with small head bolts. After that it went over 30k miles without a problem before I sold it (115k). The problem besides the 2 different metals expanding and contracting at different rates is the bolt diameter. Simply way too small.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No tuning needed. Shorty headers on these trucks is about like putting in a CAI, the stock parts flow well enough the shorties really don't add enough to make a big difference.

Glock10mm

Reaction score
I'd really like to at least get it fixed I have a trip to the coast planned and am towing my rzr and I don't really want to do it with a cracked manifold, this back order stuff with no date is BS

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't something like this be covered under the 8-80 emissions warranty?
I've never heard of it being covered under the emissions warranty. Powertrain warranty covers it, but a lot of dealers try to dodge that, unfortunately, even though its spelled out plain as day in the manuals.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have this problem with my 2017 right now. Started at 95,000 miles. Not even gonna bother to fix it. Also showed up on my 2013 at about 80,000 miles. Thought it wax a 4th gen thing.
Can’t believe this is still an issue and they haven’t come up with a fix yet. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 😡

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Watched the video. He said this has been a problem since 2005 and Chrysler offers upgraded hardware for the manifolds. 🤔

So why not put them on at the factory? 🤨

Users who are viewing this thread