5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break noise

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck does this exact thing each morning. I bet the dealer won't apply this TSB though because my build Faye is June 2019 and this applies to trucks built before September 24 2018. Bummer. I wonder what's different with trucks built after Sept 24.
Sometime after September of 2018 Ram changed the rear brake pad material and associated rear brake components and revised the part numbers (68412364AB Rear pad kit, 68412365AB Brake Adaptor, and 06512429AA Caliper bolts) and issued TSB 05-001-19 on 10 April, which I think you are referring to. However, these items were in extremely short supply.

Fifteen days later Ram published a follow-up TSB 05-002-19 to specifically address "rear brake moan" and issued 68446866AA Rear Brake Anti-Moan kit. Last I knew these kits were on backorder.

There's been enough STAR activity on this subject that I would be surprised technicians aren't aware of the issue and whatever the current resolution is. But in any case the dealer's service department should be willing to address the issue.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044446 miles.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram DT TSB. 05-001-19A.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2019 Ram DT TSB 05-002-19 Rear Brake (Moan) Noise.pdf
    164.7 KB · Views: 16

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the brake moan since I bought my truck (build date 12/18) when it sits overnight in cooler weather I hear it backing out of the garage and driveway. I remember asking right away and the dealer said not a problem don't worry. After reading others again talking about it I emailed the service manager yesterday and he said "bring it in next week and we have a kit for that" seems too easy but hopefully it is a quick in and out.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine will do it when backing down hill mostly. I also get some noise after driving on heavily salted roads.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the brake moan since I bought my truck (build date 12/18) when it sits overnight in cooler weather I hear it backing out of the garage and driveway. I remember asking right away and the dealer said not a problem don't worry. After reading others again talking about it I emailed the service manager yesterday and he said "bring it in next week and we have a kit for that" seems too easy but hopefully it is a quick in and out.
Dealer installed the brake moan kit today in about 30min. Hopefully this solved the issue.

Attachments

• 20210122_113738.jpg
    20210122_113738.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 19

RHeller1

Reaction score
Dealer installed the brake moan kit today in about 30min. Hopefully this solved the issue.
no issues with the fact your truck was a 12/18 build and was outside the date range? if so, good to know and where did you bring it as I also have to get it done still and am in the st. paul area.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no issues with the fact your truck was a 12/18 build and was outside the date range? if so, good to know and where did you bring it as I also have to get it done still and am in the st. paul area.
I didn't even notice the build date on the tsb. I had the repair done at Fury in South St. Paul. I responded to a follow-up email after having my truck in for a battery issue and mentioned the brake noise and the service manager offered to order and install the kit.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine does that only when the rotors have been wet and have a thin skin of surface rust on them. Gone after the first brake application, my Z06 does this too as does wifes XF. Not something that bothers me especially considering the cause.
Seems to mew that the only thing those TSB brackets are going to do is stiffen up maybe a weak caliper flange and even that would be temporary since their only bolted to the axle tube and would eventually loosen

Users who are viewing this thread