5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break in?

rtpassini

Reaction score
Picking up the truck tomorrow FINALLY. Limited eco with 3.92. I want to bring it to our cabin 3 hours one way over memorial weekend. BUT I want to trailer my utv up with. Is there any specific break in, do's or donts? Ive never owned a diesel before. Just dont want to screw anything up.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Picking up the truck tomorrow FINALLY. Limited eco with 3.92. I want to bring it to our cabin 3 hours one way over memorial weekend. BUT I want to trailer my utv up with. Is there any specific break in, do's or donts? Ive never owned a diesel before. Just dont want to screw anything up.
Number one rule: Don't put gasoline in it.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They told me to vary my speed over the first 500 miles. Don't stay too long at one speed. We drove the brand new truck just under 1K miles from Lake Charles, LA on mostly interstate. I varied speed as much as I could, but realistically didn't spend a lot of that break-in period under 50mph. Haven't noticed any issues with 7500 miles on the truck now.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you go into 5 different dealers and ask, you’ll get 5 different answers. Just drive it. I did start adding hotshots edt right away since I’m freaked out about USLD and cp pumps.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They told me to vary my speed over the first 500 miles. Don't stay too long at one speed. We drove the brand new truck just under 1K miles from Lake Charles, LA on mostly interstate. I varied speed as much as I could, but realistically didn't spend a lot of that break-in period under 50mph. Haven't noticed any issues with 7500 miles on the truck now.
that's what I know too, but I also agree that you might be given different answers.
I feel that also you are not suppose to tow the first 500 miles as well.
on a 12' jeep I went pretty hard on the break in period and nothing wrong happened. Kept it for 20k problem free

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife is very nervous about her accidently doing this. lol
I gave my girlfiend a thorough briefing that it's a diesel and although it may seem silly to double and triple check. I put a green Mopar fuel cap on mine that says diesel only so it's another step and reminder before you fuel.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted somewhere else on this board that the manual has some recommended pre-shutoff cool-down times after running the ED under load. Like everything else here, opinions on the necessity of this will vary. I always do it, just because I had a 1987 LeBaron GTS turbo and was conditioned to do it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted somewhere else on this board that the manual has some recommended pre-shutoff cool-down times after running the ED under load. Like everything else here, opinions on the necessity of this will vary. I always do it, just because I had a 1987 LeBaron GTS turbo and was conditioned to do it.
This..when towing always let the truck idle for a minute or two to cool the turbo down, especially if you're working it hard. Helps prevent oil coking.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

rtpassini

Reaction score
Found it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-205359_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-205359_Drive.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 45

LX Sport

Reaction score
As shown above, the manual states the Eco doesnt have a break in period. But I believe it states else where to drive 500 miles before towing for other parts in the driveline to break in.

Personally I still believe you should take it easy for the first 500 miles or so, and change the oil early. I did around 2k and just got my blackstone report back which shows higher levels of metals in the oil from the obvious break in. But to each their own.

flyjets

Reaction score
it just say's not to tow. No break-in required.

My LongHorn Southfork is lost at the Port.

BNJMN

Reaction score
I'm late to the thread, the towing section of the manual states to keep speed at 55 or less for first 500 miles of towing, regardless of how many miles on the truck. I have a few thousand miles on mine now and a few hundred towing and have started pushing it harder in everyday and towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/