5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break In period

ponypride

Reaction score
I have a RAM Laramie with 200 miles on it. I have to take a 600 trip which is 90% highway. Is there a break in period and will that much highway screw up the computers that are trying to learn driving habits? I do not use cruise, so my highway speeds will vary.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I have a RAM Laramie with 200 miles on it. I have to take a 600 trip which is 90% highway. Is there a break in period and will that much highway screw up the computers that are trying to learn driving habits? I do not use cruise, so my highway speeds will vary.
As long as you vary your speed for the first 500 miles, you will be ok with the break-in period.

warvet

Reaction score
Have you looked at the manual? ;)
My comment isn't directed at the OP, but I'm amazed at how many people don't. I have close friends who own F150 King Ranches and they have no clue that text messages will pop up or that they can long press the steering wheel button for Siri, etc. My supervisor is like that too. I have another coworker with a Ram and he didn't know he could split screen with 12" screen. Alot of people purchase and just drive.

Meanwhile, I had the owners manual downloaded the second I ordered my truck and read it about a million times while waiting on it's build. That's why my gas mileage was so bad, at first. I sat in the truck, with it running, the first week or so getting familiar with it (with the owners manual in my lap). I can admit the Army drilled that in me.....always read the manual.

Oh well! I'm at work waiting on the first email or phone call asking "hey, I see you sent me an email about the project, what's up?" ...........and I'm like, "oh, you didn't want to actually read the email, you want me to read it to you?"

Last edited:

GATORB8

Reaction score
Why would you not use cruise control on a 600 mile highway trip?

GATORB8

Reaction score
Have not received the manual but will look at the on line PDF.
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.
CAUTION!
Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil
in the engine or damage may result.
NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its
first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This
should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not
interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with
the engine oil indicator often during the break in period.
Add oil as required.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put about 150 miles on mine around town then took off for Michigan. A little over 1200 miles straight through. Used cruise off and on. Ran between the speed limit and 8 over for 19 hours with just short travel breaks for me and my dog and 2 gas stops. Trucks running just fine..... Now I have about 4500 miles that includes a 2nd trip back to Florida. This one was a relaxed 2 day'r because I had my wife and mother in law in the truck along with the dog.

ponypride

Reaction score
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.
CAUTION!
Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil
in the engine or damage may result.
NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its
first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This
should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not
interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with
the engine oil indicator often during the break in period.
Add oil as required.
Thank you. This is great.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put about 150 miles on mine around town then took off for Michigan. A little over 1200 miles straight through. Used cruise off and on. Ran between the speed limit and 8 over for 19 hours with just short travel breaks for me and my dog and 2 gas stops. Trucks running just fine..... Now I have about 4500 miles that includes a 2nd trip back to Florida. This one was a relaxed 2 day'r because I had my wife and mother in law in the truck along with the dog.
Dog in the front seat, wife in the back seat, mother in law in the bed?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dog in the front seat, wife in the back seat, mother in law in the bed?

Ha ha...... Mother in law is a little sweetheart that has unfortunately been diagnosed with dementia. So we've decided to become caregivers. It's been a lifestyle change but I wouldn't have it any other way. My dog has become her best buddy. He's always keeping track of her.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha ha...... Mother in law is a little sweetheart that has unfortunately been diagnosed with dementia. So we've decided to become caregivers. It's been a lifestyle change but I wouldn't have it any other way. My dog has become her best buddy. He's always keeping track of her.
Sorry to hear that, My mom took care of my great grandma when she was diagnosed with dementia I was just a teenager at the time. It's a tough thing to do. you guys are awesome for taking that responsibility on. I hope my joke didn't rub you the wrong way. Best wishes to you both.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, My mom took care of my great grandma when she was diagnosed with dementia I was just a teenager at the time. It's a tough thing to do. you guys are awesome for taking that responsibility on. I hope my joke didn't rub you the wrong way. Best wishes to you both.

No, not at all. I will agree the dog is by far the best passenger!

IMG_20181005_113630957.jpg

sorry this has gone off the rails a good bit.

Back to the OP, I really don't think you can really hurt today's engines during break-in like you could years ago.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Wow, information AND dog stories and pictures. Great thread.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
so the first 300 miles (500km) it is not good to go above 55?

At the dealer they told to keep calm and have different speeds and rpm's for the first 600-700 miles (about 1000km)

ProKubinator

Reaction score
The way they word the break-in period in every car manual is the most confusing thing lol... Very open ended and non-definitive how its worded. Every manual I have read dodge/ford/chevy all have the same wording. I know I'm not the first person I have heard say this either.

"Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
or 90 km/h) are desirable."

So for miles 1-60 what speeds are ok? And for 60-300 cant drive over 55 at all technically?

Someone please put this one to rest for me in my head :ROFLMAO:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The way they word the break-in period in every car manual is the most confusing thing lol... Very open ended and non-definitive how its worded. Every manual I have read dodge/ford/chevy all have the same wording. I know I'm not the first person I have heard say this either.

"Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
or 90 km/h) are desirable."

So for miles 1-60 what speeds are ok? And for 60-300 cant drive over 55 at all technically?

Someone please put this one to rest for me in my head :ROFLMAO:
And you know that everyone who test drives it before it's sold are going to baby it.

Users who are viewing this thread