5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break in issue?

N2UF

Reaction score
So I test drove a new 2022 6.4 hemi that I’m supposed to pick up on Monday I noticed that the odometer read 76 miles but almost 5 hours of time. I think it’s safe to say that at least two of those hours have been idle time on a brand new engine, is this a reason for concern? Could two hours of idle time on a brand new engine create long term issues with the pistons or rings?

Thanks in advance

GerryS

Reaction score
I doubt that idling for a couple of hours would be a problem. I think the best thing you can do to help the longevity of an engine is to do the first oil and filter change early.
Gerry

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I doubt that idling for a couple of hours would be a problem. I think the best thing you can do to help the longevity of an engine is to do the first oil and filter change early.
Gerry
Some vehicles did not want the oil changed. Can not comment on current vehicles.

Owner's Manual for a 2011 Honda Fit -

Break-in Period Help assure your vehicle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period:
● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
● Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km).
Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time.
You should also follow these recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine, or

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So I test drove a new 2022 6.4 hemi that I’m supposed to pick up on Monday I noticed that the odometer read 76 miles but almost 5 hours of time. I think it’s safe to say that at least two of those hours have been idle time on a brand new engine, is this a reason for concern? Could two hours of idle time on a brand new engine create long term issues with the pistons or rings?

Thanks in advance
order or off the lot?
if off the lot it probably had a few test drives
nothing to worry about

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd be overly concerned about it. But it's easy for us to sit here and say that when there's zero risk to us. Find another truck if you're at all concerned about it. It's not like that's the only truck out there.

N2UF

Reaction score
I don't think I'd be overly concerned about it. But it's easy for us to sit here and say that when there's zero risk to us. Find another truck if you're at all concerned about it. It's not like that's the only truck out there.
It kinda is the only one, I’m buying this truck from a client that is the assistant GM at local Ram dealer. Christmas Eve with the temp around zero thieves did over $600,000 worth of damage to his lot, almost all of the new trucks had 12 inch screens ripped. He has no inventory so this truck is one another dealer agreed to let him have.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It kinda is the only one, I’m buying this truck from a client that is the assistant GM at local Ram dealer. Christmas Eve with the temp around zero thieves did over $600,000 worth of damage to his lot, almost all of the new trucks had 12 inch screens ripped. He has no inventory so this truck is one another dealer agreed to let him have.
Is there something stopping you from going to another dealership? You don't list your location, but surely there must be other dealership options in your area.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would rather idle time on a new truck then miles driven by people who don't care about it.
Also it depends where they were driving. 76 miles on the highway can be around 70 minutes, but going through the city 76 miles could be 3-5 hours easy depending on where at.

I wouldn't give it another thought, if it's what you want go for it.

N2UF

Reaction score
Is there something stopping you from going to another dealership? You don't list your location, but surely there must be other dealership options in your area.
Yes… the deal that I’m getting from my buddy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes… the deal that I’m getting from my buddy.
Haha, well that certainly makes a difference. Why didn't you say that in your first post? If the deal is good enough, my concern would decrease as the price decreases.

Dewey

Reaction score
It will be fine. True break in requires driving like you stole it. No reason to baby it.😉

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It will be fine. True break in requires driving like you stole it. No reason to baby it.😉
Um, no.

This is from the owners manual.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades Ú page 483. NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break-in period. Add oil as required.

Dewey

Reaction score
Um, no.

This is from the owners manual.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades Ú page 483. NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break-in period. Add oil as required.
I know what the manual says. It was my attempt at humor….kinda.

I’m on my 12th brand new vehicle in the last 30 years. Drove them hard from the start. Never been in the shop once for engine troubles or any mechanical warranty claim to be truly honest. Darn near a million miles. My point was a few hours of idling time will do nothing to hurt anything. Modern motors are much tougher than people give them credit for. They won’t grenade if you get on them hard during so called “break in”.

Users who are viewing this thread