5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new truck won't start!

milks669

Reaction score
So I'm sitting in a brand new 2021 Ram Rebel and I'm pissed off big time man. I live in Toronto, Canada and it's been on the cold side a little lately. Been hovering around -10, -15 Celsius with the wind chill for the last few weeks. I have all but 1935km on the truck. It's brand spanking new man. Today I went to start it with the phone app and all I could here from the inside of my house was the truck just trying to start. You know what that sounds like. It went on and on man. If I was to start it from the inside I would've took my hand off the ignition within a few seconds of it not starting. I had to run outside to press the start/stop button to stop it from trying to start. I was extremely mad. When I put my charger on the battery it was reading 12.2v. Once it got up to 14.8v it started. Looks like I'm going to Chrysler this week asking for a new battery.

evanxrs

Reaction score
I am just north of Toronto. Not far from you. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel.
Does the 2021 have an app on your phone to start it, I did not know that. Did that replace the key FOB auto start?
Likely an app / software issue giving the comand over and over...New features on the 1st year test bound to cause issues in some of the truck. Sucks you may have got one of them
Hopefully it is an easy fix and bo damage done...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I'm in Barrie.. a few degrees colder 😝.. my 20 Rebel started no problem today after sitting since Thursday (and not being plugged in). I know there were battery issues on some 19's. Touch wood..mine has been good so far.
Hopefully the dealer looks after you.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am just north of Toronto. Not far from you. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel.
Does the 2021 have an app on your phone to start it, I did not know that. Did that replace the key FOB auto start?
Likely an app / software issue giving the comand over and over...New features on the 1st year test bound to cause issues in some of the truck. Sucks you may have got one of them
Hopefully it is an easy fix and bo damage done...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I have a 2020 Rebel and I have the app on my phone to start it, that feature is only good for one year unless you pay Sirius Guardian a monthly fee.

My 2017 and 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elites had the phone starting apps also. Might be part of the navigation package.

My Rebel key fobs do have the remote start on them.

Reaction score
So I'm sitting in a brand new 2021 Ram Rebel and I'm pissed off big time man. I live in Toronto, Canada and it's been on the cold side a little lately. Been hovering around -10, -15 Celsius with the wind chill for the last few weeks. I have all but 1935km on the truck. It's brand spanking new man. Today I went to start it with the phone app and all I could here from the inside of my house was the truck just trying to start. You know what that sounds like. It went on and on man. If I was to start it from the inside I would've took my hand off the ignition within a few seconds of it not starting. I had to run outside to press the start/stop button to stop it from trying to start. I was extremely mad. When I put my charger on the battery it was reading 12.2v. Once it got up to 14.8v it started. Looks like I'm going to Chrysler this week asking for a new battery.
Hey man,
2021 Bighorn CC Hemi , 1100km had the truck towed to the dealer because it lost communication and would not start after sitting for 5 days. They got it running after clearing a slew of codes. They couldn't determine the reason. Said I could come pick it up. I said no . Told them to find the root cause of the failure so I am not in the same situation next week. Pretty sad seeing a new truck(76k) hauled away on a Flat bed. I am reasonably knowledgeable with vehicles this is my first new vehicle.. so far not a good experience.

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
I live just outside of Toronto, have a 2021 1500 Sport. About 5500kms on it now.

Touch wood, haven’t had any problems despite the cold and the fact that the truck sometimes sits for between 5 and 7 days because of working from home.

Remote start from the UConnect app and the key fob both work. I’m wondering if you have a funky starter or alternator. Either way, better to have this kind of **** happen when under warranty.

Good luck my friend

21TRX

Reaction score
myQ opens the garage ~ uconnect starts the truck (sweet sound) (y)
TRX.JPG

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live just east of Hamilton and we’ve been getting the cold too but I haven’t had any problems with mine even after it sits for a couple days . I have heard that there were some batteries with problems from all the auto brands ( maybe they all get their batteries from the same manufacturer ) .

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This has happened to a few of us and a battery replacement was the answer.
Mine got swapped under warranty for similar issues and I’ve had no problems since replaced over a year ago.

Cheers,

Reaction score
I live just east of Hamilton and we’ve been getting the cold too but I haven’t had any problems with mine even after it sits for a couple days . I have heard that there were some batteries with problems from all the auto brands ( maybe they all get their batteries from the same manufacturer ) .
I live in Hamilton. Maybe a faulty battery but its at the dealership trying to figure out why it lost communication and was unable to start.

Wpg_BigHorn

Reaction score
19 big horn, wpg, -35C outside the last week ... not plugged in, hadn’t run it in a few days and started just fine ... typical unhappy cold noises but fired up just fine. Let her run for 20 minutes before driving and was very happy with how the truck thawed out

Reaction score
Okay , that is reassuring.. most likely a faulty battery/ bad ground, causing issues in mine.. it was only -8 , -13 at night. All my other cars were fine but it wouldn't even crank.. something electrical I assume,

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Here's a link to another thread with lots of info related to remote start issues: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/remote-start-not-working-when-cold.27485/page-5#post-406417

I live in Northern Alberta. This is my first winter with this truck and I never had any issues remote starting all winter (with the app or keyfob) until last week. I thought my battery was bad. I replaced the battery and it never solved my issue. I dug further in and potentially found my issue though it's too early to tell. All the info is in that thread I linked.

Users who are viewing this thread