5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New - Throttle Position Sensor Service Engine Light

Reaction score
I have a brand new (bought it Sunday) 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 etorque Lone Star 4x4. I am mostly working from home so I don't drive a lot. I drove it for a second time (first was home from the dealership) on the Tuesday after I bought it. It made a weird sound when trying to accelerate from a stop sign and I got an error message saying the Start/Stop system had an error and would not function. I figured I might have just gassed it at the same time it was shutting down or something, first vehicle i have had with this feature and had hoped it would reset on it's own when i restarted it the next time i drive. The next day I get in to take it out on the road, no such luck, engine light still on. I took it to the dealership who ran a quick scan for the error code and he said it was the Throttle Position Sensor. The truck has less than 100 miles on it. Unfortunately the dealership was only willing to offer me a Hertz rental car. I ended up getting a ride home. I am working from home right now so fortunately I don't have to have a vehicle. I did call the dealership for an update today since they've had it a full 24hours. They said the technician was running diagnostics and will probably not have any answers on what the problem is until tomorrow and have no information on a ready date until they know the results of the diagnostic tests. Needless to say, I am not happy and very disappointed.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how was it resolved?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Unfortunately these things happen sometimes, I would definitely be a little irritated if it were my truck. I hope they get it fixed and no more issues pop up. BTW welcome to the site .

Reaction score
I had a lift planned already for the truck and some other mods and now Im wondering if I should wait and see if it has more issues first. Won't get that money back if it turns out to be a persistent problem.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I had a lift planned already for the truck and some other mods and now Im wondering if I should wait and see if it has more issues first. Won't get that money back if it turns out to be a persistent problem.
I think that is probably a good idea, just to make sure all the kinks are worked out. I really hope that they fix this for you and you have many trouble free miles. Let us know the outcome !

Reaction score
Turned out to be a wiring harness connected to the Throttle Position Sensor that was bad. The dealer was nice and got one from another dealer since they didn't have any and had the Truck back to me by Friday.

Zig10

Reaction score
Honestly, frustrating as it is, having a problem pop up immediately usually means it's just a bad part from the factory and easily diagnosed and repaired. Glad it was something simple for you.

Users who are viewing this thread