5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New Rebel Scratched Windshield

John89

Reaction score
Literally one month old, purchased on 12/22/23 and I just noticed a scratch on the inside of my windshield right below where the heads up display is. Contacted my dealerships service department and they’re telling me they can’t warranty it because it’s not covered! Even though it 100% was delivered to me this way..

What can I do about this? This truck is literally brand new 1400 miles on it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Literally one month old, purchased on 12/22/23 and I just noticed a scratch on the inside of my windshield right below where the heads up display is. Contacted my dealerships service department and they’re telling me they can’t warranty it because it’s not covered! Even though it 100% was delivered to me this way..

What can I do about this? This truck is literally brand new 1400 miles on it.
If you didn't notice it before you accepted it, then there's nothing they will do. There's no way to prove it was delivered that way or you did it afterwards. I'd be surprised any dealer for any manufacturer would do anything about it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you didn't notice it before you accepted it, then there's nothing they will do. There's no way to prove it was delivered that way or you did it afterwards. I'd be surprised any dealer for any manufacturer would do anything about it.

^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most insurance companies do 1 windshield replacement per year. I'm on my 3rd. Insurance covered both replacements. I live in FL and have USAA.

Maybe a rock hit your windshield?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only help your going to get is going through insurance for a replacement. Expecting the dealer to somehow replace it for you when it either happened after you took possession or failed to find it on the inspection prior to signing the paperwork is asking a bit much, might be worth replacing or maybe stop overreacting and live with it.

John89

Reaction score
Most insurance companies do 1 windshield replacement per year. I'm on my 3rd. Insurance covered both replacements. I live in FL and have USAA.

Maybe a rock hit your windshield?
It’s on the interior. A rock wouldn’t be able to do that.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Customer "Service" - nothing ventured / nothing gained. give them a try. And for the critics - when I was delivered my 20 Reb, I was missing HALF of the underhood insulation pins/tabs - which I noticed a day later and they completely took care of it. You never know.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Big difference between a few dollars of missing push pins and a scratched windshield….

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No attitude but pointing out the comparison to a few bucks worth of probably in stock deposable push pin and a probably needs to be special ordered HUD compatible windshield.

OEM windshield (because Im sure OP isn’t going to be cool with an aftermarket comparable one) + what it’s going to cost to have I’m sure a glass tech to come and do the install…

Compared to a few missing push pins.

Im sure you can kind of see why someone (the dealer) would be hesitate to eat the cost after owner took delivery and put 1200 miles on it without saying for sure if it was a issue prior or happened on accident after the fact.

$5 push pins

$700-$1200 windshield if any of these are even the correct one.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just know that even though your insurance company offers free replacements, they aren't free. Every year at renewal time, your policy has a flag for a comprehensive claim, so you don't the best rate available. And if you're looking for new insurance, that claim is listed, so the quote won't show the best rate available due to having a claims history.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just know that even though your insurance company offers free replacements, they aren't free. Every year at renewal time, your policy has a flag for a comprehensive claim, so you don't the best rate available. And if you're looking for new insurance, that claim is listed, so the quote won't show the best rate available due to having a claims history.
That depends on the state. In my state it's not comprehensive, glass is it's own thing required by law for every insurance company in the state to cover, even if you don't have collision coverage for yourself. There is no deductible and they can't use it to make your rate higher.

$700-$1200 windshield if any of these are even the correct one.
Oem windshield is around $850. Glass dealers get it cheaper then msrp, it's still oem though.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is incorrect. Massachusetts covers windshields under comprehensive coverage.
Even if you don't have comprehensive windshields are covered.
I used to pay $50 for insurance on my 1993 Oldsmobile and when I had a rock his my windshield it was covered even without any kind of comprehensive and just the required by law insurance which is if you hit someone else, so no it's not part of comprehensive in Massachusetts.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That depends on the state. In my state it's not comprehensive, glass is it's own thing required by law for every insurance company in the state to cover, even if you don't have collision coverage for yourself. There is no deductible and they can't use it to make your rate higher.

Oem windshield is around $850. Glass dealers get it cheaper then msrp, it's still oem though.

Good to know. Without me really looking into it I just know comparing the cost of a few missing clips to a new windshield wasn’t even in the ballpark price was and I’m sure with the HUD replacement windshield is probably even more expensive.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good to know. Without me really looking into it I just know comparing the cost of a few missing clips to a new windshield wasn’t even in the ballpark price was and I’m sure with the HUD replacement windshield is probably even more expensive.

Mine has a HUD.
I was expecting is to me $1200, but it wasn't. Insurance paid for it anyways luckily.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For for the record - I was aware some stupid clips weren’t even remotely close in price - but was trying to establish that a good dealer would maybe try and help out somehow. Anyway enough on this. Good luck with the windshield issue.

Users who are viewing this thread