5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New ‘23 Battery Voltage Issue?

Philth

Reaction score
Well I got my brand new Limited with 5.7 ETorque.

Love the truck. But one question.

I know modern charging systems regulate voltage on these newer cars. But I’ve noticed my voltage at 12.7 the entire day, which included a long trip of about 50 miles each way.

Not sure if this is an issue, or not. Starts fine. Runs fine. No codes or anything. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 43

Kevinn

Reaction score
Yea I had the same issue once a few weeks back. was running around 11.8v. One thing I noticed at low speeds was I didn't feel the etorque drag that I normally feel. After shutting off and turning on again the issue went away and was back charging.
Did you notice it not dragging at low speeds?
Brought mine to dealer and there was an old 'insufficient torque' code but wasnt active and said they couldnt replicate the issue nor find anything wrong.

U

User_3336

what IS the battery voltage SUPPOSED to be at? I just got one too.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have a 22 e-torque hemi.
That looks about what I get. Though mine floats at 12.9v-ish due to my solar charger.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Voltage at 12.7 with etq is normal. I thought I had an issue when I first got mine. There are few treads on here about it. When the system needs to charge is will jump up in the 13’s. Normally I’m around 12.6 when it needs to charge It gets up to about 13.6- 13.9.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A battery cell is 2.1 volts fully charged. A 12 volt battery is 13.2 volts fully charged. Just turning the truck on, will lower the voltage in the battery in seconds, so you can't go by what the gauge reads to determine. While the truck is running, the output will depend on what the battery needs. While running, the voltage should be between about 13.5 to 14.7 volts. If it is running at less than 13.5 volts, after a few minutes to stabilize after starting, it is not charging properly. Duh, 12.6 volts. Bad math again.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
Same. I feel like that’s really high and I’m going to need a new battery sooner.
I actually haven't worked as a mechanic in years, but back then 14.7 was fine. If you started crossing 15V it would start boiling the battery. These newer vehicles are picky with voltage though.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I actually haven't worked as a mechanic in years, but back then 14.7 was fine. If you started crossing 15V it would start boiling the battery. These newer vehicles are picky with voltage though.

Yeah I've been out of touch a little. Getting back into it now after 10 years. 0.3 volts is close enough to make me uncomfortable from 15 lol. It’s been consistent so it must be normal for my truck.

6of36

Reaction score
Yeah I've been out of touch a little. Getting back into it now after 10 years. 0.3 volts is close enough to make me uncomfortable from 15 lol. It’s been consistent so it must be normal for my truck.
You're still a kid. I was a dealership mechanic in the 70s and 80s. Barely electronic ignition, no fuel injection, all carburetors. Even though I was Master Certified, about the only thing I do myself, is brakes. I gave up putting a remote start on my daughters car a few years ago when I found out things like power door locks and power windows aren't controlled by the switches anymore.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
You're still a kid. I was a dealership mechanic in the 70s and 80s. Barely electronic ignition, no fuel injection, all carburetors. Even though I was Master Certified, about the only thing I do myself, is brakes. I gave up putting a remote start on my daughters car a few years ago when I found out things like power door locks and power windows aren't controlled by the switches anymore.
Call me a kid but not a millennial! Im almost 35, now I understand why the heck everything hurts randomly. I understand the struggle now.

Yeah electronics are definitely annoying. In high school I preferred to work on cars that were carbureted. I miss the simpler days.

6of36

Reaction score
Call me a kid but not a millennial! Im almost 35, now I understand why the heck everything hurts randomly. I understand the struggle now.

Yeah electronics are definitely annoying. In high school I preferred to work on cars that were carbureted. I miss the simpler days.
I turn 65 tomorrow. You want to talk body degradation? lol At 35, I could run and jump and party all night.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A battery cell is 2.1 volts fully charged. A 12 volt battery is 13.2 volts fully charged. Just turning the truck on, will lower the voltage in the battery in seconds, so you can't go by what the gauge reads to determine. While the truck is running, the output will depend on what the battery needs. While running, the voltage should be between about 13.5 to 14.7 volts. If it is running at less than 13.5 volts, after a few minutes to stabilize after starting, it is not charging properly.

Etq doesn’t work or run like the trucks with an regular alternator. They will and can run only at 12.6v. Only when they need to they run up into the 13s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many of those commenting about needing to be above 13v have e-torque, or experience with it? That system runs completely different. The etorque system is what charges the 12v starter battery. It doesn't have a normal alternator

seansmd

Reaction score
How many of those commenting about needing to be above 13v have e-torque, or experience with it? That system runs completely different. The etorque system is what charges the 12v starter battery. It doesn't have a normal alternator
It would be interesting to know this as well as, do the gauges change based on having etourque, different red, yellow, green zones? What should be expected ranges for these new setups. I am ignorant as well.

Users who are viewing this thread