5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brakes

jljbtm

Reaction score
How long are the brakes lasting on the new style 1500 I have 45,000 miles and starting to feel a little pulsation?

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Same here. 46,000 miles. Pulsation in the pedal and front left clip squeals

Gonna replace pads & rotors all around tomorrow.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Same here. 46,000 miles. Pulsation in the pedal and front left clip squeals

Gonna replace pads & rotors all around tomorrow.
So, my mobile brake guy just pulled my wheels off and said, "Dude, your front pads are still 70%" haha
My rotors are warped though. Still swapping out pads & rotors to power stop Z36 pads w/fully coated high carbon specialty truck rotors

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
71K miles. Still on original pads and rotors.

I use Adaptive Cruise Control ALL THE TIME. I was really expecting to need brakes by now. Maybe the regenerative braking from the eTorque helps the brakes last longer...? Or, at least, offsets what the ACC does.

Michael_D

Reaction score
I was just searching to see if anyone else has had similar problems as I have had and noticed this thread........

My 2019 went through the driver side rear brakes in less than 10K miles. This was also during the lockdowns, so there was no supply chain to speak of. It was eventually replaced, along with the other three front/rear brakes. The inner side of the rotor was wafer-thin when finally replaced. They replaced all corners with new rotors, pads, and calipers. Some kind of warranty req. An additional stiffener was installed on the rear calipers too. Now, with 45K miles on the truck, I started hearing the same metal-to-metal sound as before. Pulled the rear pads out and once again, the inner pads are gone. Metal to metal..... The rotors need to be replaced, again. Outer pads have at least 70% left. Haven't checked the front. I'm about to see if the local Napa has rotors and pads.

dreinert

Reaction score
91k here on my 2019. Still plenty of pad left but the rotors have started to warp recently (slight wheel vibration while vibrating). I have powerstop rotors and pads that I will install.

Last edited:

jrouss28

Reaction score
I was just searching to see if anyone else has had similar problems as I have had and noticed this thread........

My 2019 went through the driver side rear brakes in less than 10K miles. This was also during the lockdowns, so there was no supply chain to speak of. It was eventually replaced, along with the other three front/rear brakes. The inner side of the rotor was wafer-thin when finally replaced. They replaced all corners with new rotors, pads, and calipers. Some kind of warranty req. An additional stiffener was installed on the rear calipers too. Now, with 45K miles on the truck, I started hearing the same metal-to-metal sound as before. Pulled the rear pads out and once again, the inner pads are gone. Metal to metal..... The rotors need to be replaced, again. Outer pads have at least 70% left. Haven't checked the front. I'm about to see if the local Napa has rotors and pads.
To add to what you posted, I just came from the dealership and they tried to hose me for brakes. They claimed I was metal on metal on the pads, and I need rotors and pads all around. I have 26,000 easy miles on the truck. When I pulled the tire on one side, what I actually have is pretty worn pads on the inner rear pad. I didn't pull both until I have the parts to replace them myself. I think it's weird that the rear brakes are wearing out this way and dramatically faster than the fronts.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Brake wear, providing there are no issues, is really dependent on type of driving and driving style. Some people are hard on brakes as they do a lot city driving and like to race light to light, slamming on the brakes at each stop. Others do mostly highway with very little braking and are good at coasting when they see things up ahead instead of running up on the pack and slamming on the brakes. So, to say a specific mileage is hard to do. as you can see from the replies you can have quite a range. I know that I check my brakes at every oil change and tire rotation just to know how much pad I have and to get an Idea if I am going to need to change them any time soon.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
I have 21k and just started this annoying break squeak. I guess I need to check them ASAP. 🫤

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I have 53000 and no pulsating. Mine is most highway miles.
I did install the brake moan kit a few weeks ago and it stopped the squealing when I back up in the morning.
Tom

Michael_D

Reaction score
To add to what you posted, I just came from the dealership and they tried to hose me for brakes. They claimed I was metal on metal on the pads, and I need rotors and pads all around. I have 26,000 easy miles on the truck. When I pulled the tire on one side, what I actually have is pretty worn pads on the inner rear pad. I didn't pull both until I have the parts to replace them myself. I think it's weird that the rear brakes are wearing out this way and dramatically faster than the fronts.
This is only a theory, and I have yet to prove it, but I think the premature wear on the inner rear pads might be related to the electric parking brake calibration. It is not unreasonable to think that if the E-brake is dragging, the inner pad would see more wear than the outer pad.

Before anyone takes on rotor/pad replacement, make sure you can access the parking brake retraction function in the truck's control panel. I have the 12" display, and can access this. It is nothing more than a button push - "retract parking brake". Wish I would have known about this before I pulled the caliper off......

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just turned 5000 miles. Brakes are still like new.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I pulled the tire on one side, what I actually have is pretty worn pads on the inner rear pad. I didn't pull both until I have the parts to replace them myself. I think it's weird that the rear brakes are wearing out this way and dramatically faster than the fronts.

So in my ownership experience of vehicles(Chrysler/Ford) with this style of parking brake setup, the rear brakes wear out much quicker than the front.

jrouss28

Reaction score
So in my ownership experience of vehicles(Chrysler/Ford) with this style of parking brake setup, the rear brakes wear out much quicker than the front.
Isa there a way to tell if the parking brake is dragging? I rarely need to use mine but, I wonder if this has been an issue. I reported that shaking on the interstate and had them look but, they blamed my new tire which I knew wasn't the issue because it started before I replaced the tires. I also noticed by gas mileage has been lower than when I first got the truck. My thought after reading this is maybe the parking brake is not fully disengaging. As for driving style, I am not an overly rough driver, I have never burned through brake before.

Thanks

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isa there a way to tell if the parking brake is dragging? I rarely need to use mine but, I wonder if this has been an issue. I reported that shaking on the interstate and had them look but, they blamed my new tire which I knew wasn't the issue because it started before I replaced the tires. I also noticed by gas mileage has been lower than when I first got the truck. My thought after reading this is maybe the parking brake is not fully disengaging. As for driving style, I am not an overly rough driver, I have never burned through brake before.

Thanks
The best way to is to get the wheels off the ground and manually spin them and that should give you an idea.

klotz50

Reaction score
91k here on my 2019. Still plenty of pad left but the rotors have started to warp recently (slight wheel vibration while vibrating). I have powerstop rotors and pads that I will install.
Am starting to feel exactly what you describe on my 19. did you do a brake job and was it just the front? Anything to be aware of in the pad and rotor change? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread