5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake switch help

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Folks - need help - please! I need to find the brake light switch in my 2019 1500DT. Reason? I need to tap into the wire that sends the signal to the brake lights to go on when the brake pedal is pushed. I'll use that to tie in an indicator light that I'll be able to see when I tow my 1500 behind my RV. It MUST be tied into the wire on the brake switch. Any pictures of the switch location and/or wire would be ideal and GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Encswsm

Reaction score
I would use the Trailer plug in the back of your truck. on a 4 pin connector it would be the outside 2 pins furthest away f4rom the Plastic piece and on a 7 pin its pin number 5 the blue one.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I will be towing my truck behind my RV - it's a bus-type motor home. To take some of the braking responsibility off of the RV when stopping, a braking system was installed in my truck that activates the truck's brakes when the controller senses forward movement stopping. The braking system came with an indicator light that (when hooked up) I can see light up if the system activates the truck's brakes. It's a "nice to know - peace of mind" thing to know that the truck's brakes are working to help slow the whole thing down. In order to know if things are OK, the indicator light needs to work off of the brake pedal (therefore the brake switch) and not off of the brake lights. The way everything is wired, the brake lights are energized by the wiring from the RV, so I can't use the taillight wiring to connect it. I have been under the dash of the truck 4 different times looking for the switch and just cannot find it. Hope this helps to clear things up.

Lize

Reaction score
I see, an interesting idea, the Ram effectively becomes a braked trailer itself.
Does this cause any problems with the transmission?

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
As long as the truck is a 4x4, all you do is put the transfer case into Neutral (N) - the recessed button in the center of the selector - and there is no damage done nor restrictions as to how far or fast you can tow the truck. Absolutely CAN NOT do it with a 2 wheel drive Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread