5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake pad replacement only.

Darkenuf

Reaction score
Has anybody done pads only on their Rebel?
Which brand did you choose

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a Rebel, but I did new front pads after I accidentally contaminated my factory pads (trying to be lazy with getting rid of the infamous brake clip squeak).

I used Power Stop Z362179 pads, new clips, and some quality grease between the clips and the brackets. Had them for about 10k miles now, roughly. No noise, no complaints.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck goes in tomorrow for a clunk and brake clip squeak. It's not a big deal to fix myself, except I can't loosen the caliper bolts. I even used a breaker bar with a 2' extension. The bolts barely moved. I'm not risking the bolts snapping off, so I want the dealer to fix these simple issues. I'm assuming nobody else has experienced this?

Darkenuf

Reaction score
I am basically changing the pads and hardware because anything the dealer does will only last a few weeks. The anti rattle clips on the Mopar pads are a bad design. As for the clunk it's the swaybar endlinks I have some on order but they are heavily backorder because they were redesigned due to the amount of failed units being replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Maybe things have changed, but I was always taught if you put in new pads, you turned the rotors to make sure they were smooth and even. (and years before that, turned the drums when replacing the shoes)

So nowadays you can just change the pads and ignore the rotors???

Dave

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe things have changed, but I was always taught if you put in new pads, you turned the rotors to make sure they were smooth and even. (and years before that, turned the drums when replacing the shoes)

So nowadays you can just change the pads and ignore the rotors???

Dave
Ideally yes, but rotors and pads are different enough these days that it doesn't seem to matter as much as it used to. On some vehicles it is cheaper to replace the rotors than to have someone turn them. I do all my own brake work on my vehicles, and I haven't turned my rotors in years. I do occasionally take a die grinder with an abrasive pad to them if they are glazed or grooved, but not always. Generally a little fine grit paper and some brake cleaner, lube the slides, and bolt it all back up. Having said all that, I haven't put enough miles on my Rams that they needed pads, so I might learn a lesson or two when that time comes :)

Darkenuf

Reaction score
In Canada where I live you will find it difficult to get rotors turned because that makes the shop liable for any warpage or vibration.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I am basically changing the pads and hardware because anything the dealer does will only last a few weeks. The anti rattle clips on the Mopar pads are a bad design. As for the clunk it's the swaybar endlinks I have some on order but they are heavily backorder because they were redesigned due to the amount of failed units being replaced under warranty.

Are they the front or rear swaybar endlinks?

Users who are viewing this thread