5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake controller setting??

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Who is towing about 5-6k lbs? What brake controller number so you have the stock controller set to?
Great question.... I'm about to tow 8500lb travel trailer and there are too many choices currently. Would like to hear what others are setting there's at...

RAM_Blue

Reaction score
Great question.... I'm about to tow 8500lb travel trailer and there are too many choices currently. Would like to hear what others are setting there's at...

On my 4th Gen and now my 5th Gen I use light electric for my ~5,000 pound trailer and it works fine. This is what the manual recommends

Depending on my load, following this procedure my gain is ~4-5 for my trailer with light electric

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
On my 4th Gen and now my 5th Gen I use light electric for my ~5,000 pound trailer and it works fine. This is what the manual recommends
View attachment 31441

Depending on my load, following this procedure my gain is ~4-5 for my trailer with light electric
View attachment 31442
Thank you.... I’ve tried this already when I did my trial run and I was unable to get the trailer brakes to lock up on ‘light’ or ‘heavy’ with max gain. I know my trailer brakes are good because I just used my Ford F-250 last month with integrated brake controller and the trailer brakes locked up without issue..... now I’m puzzled why the dodge system works differently.

TwinSac

Reaction score
Thank you.... I’ve tried this already when I did my trial run and I was unable to get the trailer brakes to lock up on ‘light’ or ‘heavy’ with max gain. I know my trailer brakes are good because I just used my Ford F-250 last month with integrated brake controller and the trailer brakes locked up without issue..... now I’m puzzled why the dodge system works differently.
Any update on this issue? I'm coming from a P3 brake controller which was working flawlessly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Any update on this issue? I'm coming from a P3 brake controller which was working flawlessly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
No update. Never got it to lock up per say.... I just run it on heavy electric around 6.0 and it seems to brake well enough for me.

Ram4141

Reaction score
Mine won't lock up either. Slows the truck and trailer down but no lock up.

Cross88

Reaction score
I have the primus 90160 aftermarket brake controller. I just picked up trailer on Friday and ended up at 6.0, no lock ups and felt it stopped in line with the truck (no pushing or pulling feeling). Specs are in my signature, but the trailer is 6474 dry with a 790 tw dry. We’ll be going on our first camping trip in a couple weeks, with a little more weight obviously from when we picked it up, so I may adjust slightly. I just ordered some timbren drtt1500, I’ll be installing those and taking the time to readjust my hitch set up to make sure it’s right.

Users who are viewing this thread