5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Controller for 2020 5.7L Laramie WithOUT Tow Package

Reaction score
Hey Folks, Love all the collaboration here.

I have a 5000lb UVW Travel Trailer on order, and prepping my TV - a 2020 RAM 1500, 5.7Hemi (non-eco) LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4, with the 3.92 axel. I DON'T have the tow package, which is why I kept the TT weight reasonable. My truck has a tow capacity of a little over 11,000lb. I got the Equalizer e4 hitch as well.

BUT, I need a brake controller. Right now, one easy answer is to get a Curt Echo electronic brake controller that plugs into the 7 way connector and connects to the truck's brakes - about $230. However I'm real curious whether anyone knows if the 2020 Laramie's as above (without tow package) are wired under the dash or steering wheel somewhere for an easy brake controller hookup?

I'm still researching the Curt thing, so I'm open to your feedback about it. But I'm also really interested if if my TV model is wired for it. And if so, how much it might be to have someone wire it.

Nels

Reaction score
I went with the Curt echo last summer when we bought our tt. Took a few short trips and one 200 mile round trip. The Curt brake controller seemed to work just fine. Never any connection problems. No unsightly boxes bolted under dash. No complaints.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I’m going to guess no, years ago before factory installed brake controllers dodge would provide a connector and wiring to plug into an existing plug under to the dash for easy install of a controller. With the newer wiring setups they’ve done away with that as far as I can tell. My ‘18 didn’t have a factory controller and didn’t come with any plugs for this purpose. I’m sure the aftermarket ones made for the truck are simple to install.

saylor

Reaction score
mines on order right now should be here any day the OEM kit then add the code to your build sheet and push the config.
the kit says it has the module and the mounting rack, and the wires are taped up in the dash.

badpewterz

Reaction score
i went oem on mine. dealer only charged me 40 to program which was nice. but there is a pigtail up under the dash and tekonsha has an plug n play harness for it same as older trucks which i what i used in my 2018
the ECHO issue i see is IF you need to manual override your phone screen has to be on and in that app then hit red button on your phone screen. this also means its on/off cant easily manually appy say 50%. also again the echo app has to be on the screen so if your using google maps say then you have to exit that then open echo app before you have manual control. i do not like that aspect IMO.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I bought the OEM integrated trailer brake controller. installed myself (very easy). I then took truck to dealer and they updated computer to see the controller and now it appears on my screen.
What did that run you? Part and dealer charge to program?

saylor

Reaction score
the part is Mopar PK82215278AE Trailer Brake Controller (New Body Style) Ram 1500

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
What did that run you? Part and dealer charge to program?
Someone posted the part number below as the cost likely has changed. I seem to recall it was a free download/update to computer as I had a 100 or 200 coupon for some reason. I want to say they wanted 180 otherwise. It’s def more money than just adding an aftermarket controller

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Folks, Love all the collaboration here.

I have a 5000lb UVW Travel Trailer on order, and prepping my TV - a 2020 RAM 1500, 5.7Hemi (non-eco) LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4, with the 3.92 axel. I DON'T have the tow package, which is why I kept the TT weight reasonable. My truck has a tow capacity of a little over 11,000lb. I got the Equalizer e4 hitch as well.

BUT, I need a brake controller. Right now, one easy answer is to get a Curt Echo electronic brake controller that plugs into the 7 way connector and connects to the truck's brakes - about $230. However I'm real curious whether anyone knows if the 2020 Laramie's as above (without tow package) are wired under the dash or steering wheel somewhere for an easy brake controller hookup?

I'm still researching the Curt thing, so I'm open to your feedback about it. But I'm also really interested if if my TV model is wired for it. And if so, how much it might be to have someone wire it.
Pigtail is there for OEM module, as noted, requires programming by AlphaOBD or dealer.

instead of the Echo, get the Sprectrum. It’s a better controller with good user interface and super easy install. To me, it works better than the OEM.

CJ7nvrstk

Reaction score
Was just quoted $420 for the Dodge controller installed by my dealer.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I used the ECHO for a year, it's a great option if you don't have one installed, that being said, I added the OEM one to my truck without issue. The great thing about the ECHO is you can bounce it around to any towing rig in seconds, if the OEM one was more difficult to install i would've just kept the ECHO.

Users who are viewing this thread