5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Change Questions

Reaction score
The dealer told me my front brakes are at 8mm and the rears are at 4mm. Does anyone know what the stock thickness was? They want over $1000cdn to do the job, but I'll just do them myself.

Should I just replace the rears with something similar to stock and have the fronts and rears wear out hopefully around the same time (down to 3mm) and then replace them all around?

Just seems I have a few years left still on the fronts before they get to 3mm.

Should I just do all 4 corners now with everything new?

What would be the best type if I get a full kit like Powerstop drilled and crossed rotors?

Thanks in advance.

I've got 35" tires on it and 77,000km, purchased June 2019.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need new rotors yet, only at 49k miles?

You can do rear pads now and fronts later. Not likely to need all 4 all at once. If you have an Autozone up there they sell Duralast pads with a lifetime warranty (free replacement pads) so if you wanted to you could do all 4 and just replace them whenever you want really.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Slotted and/or cross drilled rotors are only for aesthetics on a daily driver. The rotors you buy with them aren't properly designed to actually give you any benefits over increased pad wear and the "cool" looks. They actually reduce the amount of friction surface and stopping powerz and don't really aid in cooking of the. Rakes because they are just regular rotors with holes or slots machined in them. The internal cooking veins aren't properly designed to take advantage of the slots or cross drilling. Only high end rotors will actually make a difference.

Son Of Man

Reaction score
You shouldn't need new rotors yet, only at 49k miles?

You can do rear pads now and fronts later. Not likely to need all 4 all at once. If you have an Autozone up there they sell Duralast pads with a lifetime warranty (free replacement pads) so if you wanted to you could do all 4 and just replace them whenever you want really.

Son Of Man

Reaction score
I just been quoted $1700 for front and back brake and rotor replacement
should I go with an aftermarket or with them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just been quoted $1700 for front and back brake and rotor replacement
should I go with an aftermarket or with them
****, that's more expensive than good aftermarket parts

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get your parts online, even OEM parts are cheaper than dealership parts department and do them yourself or pay an independent shop to do them. That's honestly highway robbery.

New rotors and pads are easy to install, plenty of videos online that will show you how to do it on these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread