5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!BRAKE! ... !BRAKE!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. All I see is a big grey box. Maybe there's an issue with my connection.

Edit: Definitely my connection. I was able to view it on my ipad. It looks to me like your forward collision warning system is spazzing out. Could have been some moisture got in where it's not supposed to be and has since dried out. Sorry, can't be any more help than that.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's the automatic brake warning. Truck thinks you are about to crash into an object. Clean your sensors on the bumper and wash the ram logo.

Also what kind of animal slaps a sticker on the EVIC?
Sensors on the bumper have nothing to to with the FCW. Those are only for parking. They disable after a certain speed. The FCW is controlled by the camera and radar on the windshield. I have no idea why washing the RAM logo would do anything.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You said it was storming. Just how damn hard was it coming down? Was your "I'm not paying attention so keep me from hitting something" system just thinking you were crashing into a wall? That's some serious rain.

And yea, what is up with Grease Monkey slapping the sticker over your tach?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So this happened recently ...

It was storming and I haven't experienced this since.

Any ideas? Known issue? Fluke? Service?
Yes, in Louisiana you get tons of water coming down during a downpour. We have storms on occasion here in Houston that do the same, and all that water coming down so fast obscures the camera by the rear view mirror so it thinks something is coming at you. Mine has not done it but so have a coworker who was in Lake Charles during the last major deluge of water and his did it too. Took it to the dealer and they checked the calibration stating all was ok except all that Louisiana water coming down at 10,000 inches per hour! 😉

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the automatic brake warning. Truck thinks you are about to crash into an object. Clean your sensors on the bumper and wash the ram logo.

I was thinking the same thing about the sticker, wow!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sensors on the bumper have nothing to to with the FCW. Those are only for parking. They disable after a certain speed. The FCW is controlled by the camera and radar on the windshield. I have no idea why washing the RAM logo would do anything.
If the truck has adaptive cruise the ram logo is where the radar horn is. IIRC below 30 mph the bumper sensors are active. You haven't had the truck slam you into last Tuesday for some grass when backing up yet?

I've had mine do this because my truck is perpetually covered in dust/mud. dirt or caked on grass or whatever on the bumper sensors will do this exact thing and randomly blink the brake! and sometimes will greatly exaggerate the reaction when someone is turning right when you are following them and brake unexpectedly even at slow speeds when the other car is quite far away and poses no threat.

The windshield has a IR laser or LED the cameras pick up with the tech group. On a really sunny day you can see it, and you can also see it with a digital camera on other cars when they are driving.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If the truck has adaptive cruise the ram logo is where the radar horn is. IIRC below 30 mph the bumper sensors are active. You haven't had the truck slam you into last Tuesday for some grass when backing up yet?

I've had mine do this because my truck is perpetually covered in dust/mud. dirt or caked on grass or whatever on the bumper sensors will do this exact thing and randomly blink the brake! and sometimes will greatly exaggerate the reaction when someone is turning right when you are following them and brake unexpectedly even at slow speeds when the other car is quite far away and poses no threat.

The windshield has a IR laser or LED the cameras pick up with the tech group. On a really sunny day you can see it, and you can also see it with a digital camera on other cars when they are driving.
Nope. There is no radar or anything behind the RAM logo. The only thing that controls FCW is exactly what I said, the camera and radar on the windshield. I know this for a fact as I added ACC, FCW, auto high beams, etc to my truck which didn't come with it. I also added the semi auto park feature for parallel parking so I'm familiar with all those sensors in the bumpers too.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. There is no radar or anything behind the RAM logo. The only thing that controls FCW is exactly what I said, the camera and radar on the windshield. I know this for a fact as I added ACC, FCW, auto high beams, etc to my truck which didn't come with it. I also added the semi auto park feature for parallel parking so I'm familiar with all those sensors in the bumpers too.
If you have adaptive cruise the radar is behind the "A" in RAM on the front grill.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If you have adaptive cruise the radar is behind the "A" in RAM on the front grill.
No, it isn't. Why do you think it is? I added it myself so I know exactly where it is. The windshield. There's nothing behind the A. Maybe on the old trucks, but not on a 5th Gen. Look at the thread that tells you how to add it to your truck and then try to tell me that it is behind the A. Several of us have added this to our trucks and didn't add anything behind the A. Sorry, but we don't need misinformation being spread when there are people who know the facts. I've also read the service manual that explains in detail on how ACC and FCW work and there is no mention of anything in the grill. The DASM is what controls all of that and it is located on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I think that same thing happened to mine too. I was driving up to and intersection and I happened to notice a really quick flash on the display. It happened so fast I couldnt tell what it was. There was no other vehicle's around me at the time either. Haven't noticed it since

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Man, that's what I was thinking too. Some lube tech would have my Toby Keith boot up his *** if he put that on my plastic dash bezel.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Couldn't watch the video, the service sticker on the cluster caused me to blackout. The upper left corner of the windshield is the typical location to let you know you are overfilled by one quart and the drain plug was hammered on by an impact gun

BowDown

Reaction score

All FCW is in the windshield contained in that box in front of the rear view mirror.
The camera above RAM in the grill is the forward parking camera

Will Cover

Reaction score
You said it was storming. Just how damn hard was it coming down? Was your "I'm not paying attention so keep me from hitting something" system just thinking you were crashing into a wall? That's some serious rain.

And yea, what is up with Grease Monkey slapping the sticker over your tach?

It was a really severe rainstorm at night. Lots of lightning, thunder, and flash flooding.

Users who are viewing this thread