5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brain fart

Paulie

Reaction score
So, I’ve changed the oil in my eco numerous times and no worries. Today I was tightening the oil filter and it just seemed a little different. I don’t think that i cross threaded the housing but I’m just not sure. My question is this, there is a flat lip on the plastic cap portion of the oil filter. Does that actually seat against the aluminum housing or does it stop about a quarter inch short. It seemed like the filter threaded on properly and I torqued it to 25nm but I just don’t remember if that flange area mates up flat against the aluminum housing. TIA!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, I’ve changed the oil in my eco numerous times and no worries. Today I was tightening the oil filter and it just seemed a little different. I don’t think that i cross threaded the housing but I’m just not sure. My question is this, there is a flat lip on the plastic cap portion of the oil filter. Does that actually seat against the aluminum housing or does it stop about a quarter inch short. It seemed like the filter threaded on properly and I torqued it to 25nm but I just don’t remember if that flange area mates up flat against the aluminum housing. TIA!
There is a seal on the filter that goes further then the metal.
If it feels tight i'm sure it's on. It would most likely be pissing oil if it wasn't.

If you did cross thread it, not much you can do about it now

jkm312

Reaction score
Sometimes those O-rings stay on the flat mating surface on the block, rather than come off with the filter. Might explain that quarter inch. You could look at your old filter for the old O-ring if you still have it. If you cross threaded it you would know it, it gets pretty tight long before it's all the way seated.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Sometimes those O-rings stay on the flat mating surface on the block, rather than come off with the filter. Might explain that quarter inch. You could look at your old filter for the old O-ring if you still have it. If you cross threaded it you would know it, it gets pretty tight long before it's all the way seated.
Exactly what I was thinking. Usually it will let you know by pissing oil everywhere upon start up. DAMHIK lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it does sit flush, and has on all 4 filters I’ve done on my truck so far.

Paulie

Reaction score
Yes, it does sit flush, and has on all 4 filters I’ve done on my truck so far.
Ok, cool. Thanks. I will take it off and install a fresh filter tomorrow before heading out. I drove it around the block and nothing leaked but it just didn’t feel right to me.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Ok, cool. Thanks. I will take it off and install a fresh filter tomorrow before heading out. I drove it around the block and nothing leaked but it just didn’t feel right to me.
Cheap insurance

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The filters go on pretty tight. I don't use a torque wrench on mine..I keep going until it sits flush and feels "tight enough"

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread