5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought Wife a New Truck

CarlG198

Reaction score
That's the second time I've heard of that message lately. I will be interested to find out what is causing it
Dealer and engineers working on it. Claim this is the first time it's been reported. Mopar engineers are connected remotely to the truck, didn't know they can do that, running diagnostics on the CANBUS. When I dropped in I was told the "Secret Engine Code" error is part of the the whole CANBUS UConnect failure. I am going to give them all the time they need to fix this but, there will be a point to where another truck will be the fix.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dealer and engineers working on it. Claim this is the first time it's been reported. Mopar engineers are connected remotely to the truck, didn't know they can do that, running diagnostics on the CANBUS. When I dropped in I was told the "Secret Engine Code" error is part of the the whole CANBUS UConnect failure. I am going to give them all the time they need to fix this but, there will be a point to where another truck will be the fix.
Hopefully they figure it out quickly, there are no warm and fuzzies while waiting for electrical gremlins to be tracked down...

CarlG198

Reaction score
Electrical problems in vehicles now will make the systems go crazy. Like @SD Rebel said, even a connector that's not perfectly attached can do that, or a single wire not grounded correctly and put the truck in limp mode.

Saying an $XX truck shouldn't have these problems? You have to remember, you're on a forum with ~30,000 users. If every single one of us had the exact same problem, that's less than 5% of 5th gens sold. Even though it seems like we make a lot of noise, we are the very VERY small minority.

For what it's worth, we bought a software package for my department for $2MM (yes, $2 million). After a year of testing, validating, QA, more testing, and then launching guess what happened? It didn't work correctly, and we had to fix it. Hopefully your issue gets resolved quickly, and like the rest of us, your problems are minor from there on out.
Sounds like the issue the State of TN had with some software they bought :) At any rate it wouldn't matter who made the truck, I find it hard to believe that people are so willing to accept that it's just going to suck, your not alone other makes have issues as well. Maybe at 60 yrs old, my patience for excuses is a little thin. You see there are excuses and there are reasons. An excuse is an acceptance of failure, a reason is a recognition of failure with an intent to solve the issue. But I do get the what everyone is saying. But damn y'all are a bit over protective of a truck. LOL

saylor

Reaction score
i said it in a other post the other day - its like dodge took everything they knew about making trucks and threw it out the window.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like the issue the State of TN had with some software they bought :) At any rate it wouldn't matter who made the truck, I find it hard to believe that people are so willing to accept that it's just going to suck, your not alone other makes have issues as well. Maybe at 60 yrs old, my patience for excuses is a little thin. You see there are excuses and there are reasons. An excuse is an acceptance of failure, a reason is a recognition of failure with an intent to solve the issue. But I do get the what everyone is saying. But damn y'all are a bit over protective of a truck. LOL
Just feel lucky you have a good dealer that's actively working on the problem quickly. All of my local dealers have a 4-6 day wait for an appointment, and they're the typical FCA "do the bare minimum that gets them out the door" type. It took them 3 hours to "detail" my truck after I bought it. I finally told them I had to leave and all of a sudden within 30 minutes it was somewhat clean in front of the dealer.

CarlG198

Reaction score
Just feel lucky you have a good dealer that's actively working on the problem quickly. All of my local dealers have a 4-6 day wait for an appointment, and they're the typical FCA "do the bare minimum that gets them out the door" type. It took them 3 hours to "detail" my truck after I bought it. I finally told them I had to leave and all of a sudden within 30 minutes it was somewhat clean in front of the dealer.
Just picked up truck. All of the errors are fixed. Chrysler, not the dealer, ordered a new Radio for the truck because the icons on the screen aren't showing up very quickly. It takes a few minutes for everything to show up. Ok It was their decision. They'll call me when it gets in and they'll replace it. I'm good with it. Evidently somewhere between the Factory and us getting the truck the canbus firmware got scrambled. The engineers updated and reloaded everything and it is working. No more CanBus failures or Secret Engine Code errors. So we'll see how it goes. Now it's on record there was an issue. The wife is happy again...well mostly :) It's her truck so if she's happy then I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread