5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought Wife a New Truck

CarlG198

Reaction score
Hello.
2021 Black Pearl Diamond Coat Ram1500 5.7 Etorque BigHorn Lone Star Night Edition. Here to see what's going on in the Ram world and to watch for issues with her truck. Wife wanted a bigger truck, this was her choice. She traded a perfectly functional Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4wd for this truck. She needed more room for the grandkids. My issue less than 1kmiles and it's already in the shop. Here's hoping this is not a trend.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello.
2021 Black Pearl Diamond Coat Ram1500 5.7 Etorque BigHorn Lone Star Night Edition. Here to see what's going on in the Ram world and to watch for issues with her truck. Wife wanted a bigger truck, this was her choice. She traded a perfectly functional Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4wd for this truck. She needed more room for the grandkids. My issue less than 1kmiles and it's already in the shop. Here's hoping this is not a trend.

This is a forum, so you are going to get a lot of non-representative response to your question. People who have issues search forums for answers, people will no issues usually don't do that except for enthusiast who go to forums for tips, ideas and to talk about their trucks.

That being said, my truck was a Jan 2019 build, and has been flawless inside and out for the last 19 months of ownership. It's the smoothest shifting and running truck I've owned, my last was a 2015 F150 which also had no issue and I absolutely loved as well. I've been pretty happy with my new truck purchases, even though they were both first year designs at the time.

That being said, you are going to get people with opposite experience and everything in the middle. I would search Silverado and F150 forums, I think you will find similar levels of issue post. As for how your truck will do, more than likely you should be fine, but you won't know until you get there.

CarlG198

Reaction score
ok ill bite.

why is it in the shop?
Canbus Failure to Uconnect 8.4" and (I kid you not) "Secret Engine Code Missing" Not downing the truck, It's quiet smooth, spacious and getting acceptable fuel mileage. But at $54K These issues should not exist.

CarlG198

Reaction score
This is a forum, so you are going to get a lot of non-representative response to your question. People who have issues search forums for answers, people will no issues usually don't do that except for enthusiast who go to forums for tips, ideas and to talk about their trucks.

That being said, my truck was a Jan 2019 build, and has been flawless inside and out for the last 19 months of ownership. It's the smoothest shifting and running truck I've owned, my last was a 2015 F150 which also had no issue and I absolutely loved as well. I've been pretty happy with my new truck purchases, even though they were both first year designs at the time.

That being said, you are going to get people with opposite experience and everything in the middle. I would search Silverado and F150 forums, I think you will find similar levels of issue post. As for how your truck will do, more than likely you should be fine, but you won't know until you get there.
I get it. Not putting the truck down...yet. I have a Wrangler 2018 JLU Sahara. Been great vehicle. My other vehicle is an 04 Z71 Silverado Regular cab 5.3 4wd with Manual Transfer Case. Nearly 300K miles of flawless operation. But it is relegated to doing work around the house now. I've pulled stumps with it amongst other things. It's not going anywhere it's a keeper. I guess it's too much to expect for $54K for it to be right at least until warranty expires. Everything we own is 4wd. Just a bit disappointed so far.

BigD

Reaction score
Please tell me u didn't pay $54k for it ? That's just the MSRP right?

Turaco

Reaction score
ok ill bite.

why is it in the shop?
He was waiting for it.....LOL
Canbus Failure to Uconnect 8.4" and (I kid you not) "Secret Engine Code Missing" Not downing the truck, It's quiet smooth, spacious and getting acceptable fuel mileage. But at $54K These issues should not exist.
Not another “these issues should not exist for a $$ truck” post. You do realize that people buy very expensive luxury vehicles that are plagued with problems right? As @SD Rebel mentioned other truck brands have issues as well, just visit their forums.
I had a Cadillac ELR that even had suede ceiling liner and it was in the shop first month of ownership. I didnt expect it to have issues the rest of the ownership and it didn’t. My wife drives a jeep GC and had the Uconnect unit replaced over last summer, the whole thing was fried. I didn’t expect it to have issues the rest of the ownership and it hasn’t. See where I’m getting at here. Coming to a Ram forum and worrying about possible future problems (after you bought the truck) while praising a chevy is just, well.....(add caption here). Just enjoy the truck without worrying too much and it will be fine.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I get it. Not putting the truck down...yet. I have a Wrangler 2018 JLU Sahara. Been great vehicle. My other vehicle is an 04 Z71 Silverado Regular cab 5.3 4wd with Manual Transfer Case. Nearly 300K miles of flawless operation. But it is relegated to doing work around the house now. I've pulled stumps with it amongst other things. It's not going anywhere it's a keeper. I guess it's too much to expect for $54K for it to be right at least until warranty expires. Everything we own is 4wd. Just a bit disappointed so far.

It's hit and miss sometimes whether you get a problem or not, I mean you are talking about a vehicle with tons of parts coming from literally hundreds if not thousands of 3rd party vendors/suppliers.

Sometime something as simple as a disconnected plastic connector can wreak havoc on a vehicle, but once its fixed, it shouldn't occur again unless it's a design flaw. You definitely deserve to feel upset, but I wouldn't let it taint your view of the vehicle for the long haul, of course unless you have constant issues.

Being member of also Ford & GM forums, as we have vehicles in both camps, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone dump their "lemon" (Ford, GM or RAM) to be happy with another brand. And then jump on another forum and find another person doing the opposite, dumping the other brand and also being happy about it. They are all the same, just sometimes you get an issue or even a lemon, they all got them.

I consider myself a Ford guy, even now with my RAM, I am a Ford guy, just currently driving a RAM. I was all prepared to have FCA quality let me down, but I have been very happy with my truck, I think it's the best overall vehicle I've ever owned, that's taking into account my 2019 Mercedes C300 and a slew of past full size trucks and luxury cars. Other than mpg of course :)

BigD

Reaction score
I'm still curious if the guy really paid $54k for a Big Horn Level 2 ?? I got the exact same truck, but a 2020. I paid $40k !!!!!!

CarlG198

Reaction score
I'm still curious if the guy really paid $54k for a Big Horn Level 2 ?? I got the exact same truck, but a 2020. I paid $40k !!!!!!
That was sticker, 2021 Big Horn Lone Star, 5.7 Hemi eTorque, Level 2, Night Edition, Black Diamond Pearl coat, Premium LED Light Group, Electric Running boards, Bed upgrade, Bed Step, Navigation 8.4. other, Limited Slip Rear diff and 4wd BS. I paid 46 out the door. Really? Damn Sticker says $54K but OK I quoted Suggested retail price in making a statement about the truck....damn

CarlG198

Reaction score
Really everyone? Damn a sensitive bunch. Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I know "other Manufacturers" have problems. But this truck went into the shop the day after we purchased it and has been in and out ever since. 2.5 weeks old. Somehow that's acceptable? If you want to pile on go ahead, but damn even the Jeep guys don't pile on like this over a legitimate concern.

Have a nice day.

saylor

Reaction score
carlG198

1000% honest here. I have had a 1997 ram, 2010 nitro, 2015ram, 2020ram. i also have 2 1968 plymouths one runs one doesnt.

out of all of them - the 1968 is the most dependable.
the 2010 nitro was the most solid. got over 115k mi before i handed it off to one of my kids who promptly destroyed it.

i got out of all the trucks before 75k mi.

the 2020 models seems to have a lot of issues. more than id expect when buying a new car. I personally have the brake 'chirp' on a brand new truck. and i dont know what else yet nothing has really manifested itself yet besides the chirp.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Really everyone? Damn a sensitive bunch. Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. I know "other Manufacturers" have problems. But this truck went into the shop the day after we purchased it and has been in and out ever since. 2.5 weeks old. Somehow that's acceptable? If you want to pile on go ahead, but damn even the Jeep guys don't pile on like this over a legitimate concern.

Have a nice day.
It’s not acceptable no matter how much the truck lists for . It shouldn’t happen to a brand new vehicle and it sucks when it does . I hope the dealer gets it all figured out for you and you have no more issues .

CarlG198

Reaction score
It’s not acceptable no matter how much the truck lists for . It shouldn’t happen to a brand new vehicle and it sucks when it does . I hope the dealer gets it all figured out for you and you have no more issues .
Thanks, I have the best dealer in the state. They are working on it now. I just dropped by and they have it sitting out running and the factory engineers are connected to it trying to find why it's doing what it is doing. I only bought this truck because of their service department. Best people in the world to work with. They have taken care of my 2018 Wrangler Sahara as if it were their own. Really great experience. Steve Jones Dodge Ram Jeep Fiat in Dickson TN.

CarlG198

Reaction score
carlG198

1000% honest here. I have had a 1997 ram, 2010 nitro, 2015ram, 2020ram. i also have 2 1968 plymouths one runs one doesnt.

out of all of them - the 1968 is the most dependable.
the 2010 nitro was the most solid. got over 115k mi before i handed it off to one of my kids who promptly destroyed it.

i got out of all the trucks before 75k mi.

the 2020 models seems to have a lot of issues. more than id expect when buying a new car. I personally have the brake 'chirp' on a brand new truck. and i dont know what else yet nothing has really manifested itself yet besides the chirp.
That's to my point. My dad was always a MOPAR guy then they bought a Chrysler Cordoba POS. That stung him until he bought a 4th Gen Ram. He had Chevy's and Hondas right up until he bought his RAM. He loved that truck right up until he passed. My stepbrother drives it now and loves it. With all the press praise and I did some research, I thought OK we'll give it a go. Hopefully they get this thing fixed and we'll move forward.

CarlG198

Reaction score
That's to my point. My dad was always a MOPAR guy then they bought a Chrysler Cordoba POS. That stung him until he bought a 4th Gen Ram. He had Chevy's and Hondas right up until he bought his RAM. He loved that truck right up until he passed. My stepbrother drives it now and loves it. With all the press praise and I did some research, I thought OK we'll give it a go. Hopefully they get this thing fixed and we'll move forward.
BTW I am 60 and have had, Fords, Hondas, Acuras, Chevy's, Triumph (Stag and Herald) Multiple Jaguars (XJS12 and XJ12L), Have driven all over Europe and Asia in Peugeot and Mahindras. Unless you are an over the road Trucker I doubt you have driven as many miles as I have. So I'm not some kid griping about minor issues. If the CANBUS fails in the truck, it can become unsafe to drive or completely undrivable. Dealer just told me it should have never left the factory with these faults. So even the dealer admits this could get worse.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Electrical problems in vehicles now will make the systems go crazy. Like @SD Rebel said, even a connector that's not perfectly attached can do that, or a single wire not grounded correctly and put the truck in limp mode.

Saying an $XX truck shouldn't have these problems? You have to remember, you're on a forum with ~30,000 users. If every single one of us had the exact same problem, that's less than 5% of 5th gens sold. Even though it seems like we make a lot of noise, we are the very VERY small minority.

For what it's worth, we bought a software package for my department for $2MM (yes, $2 million). After a year of testing, validating, QA, more testing, and then launching guess what happened? It didn't work correctly, and we had to fix it. Hopefully your issue gets resolved quickly, and like the rest of us, your problems are minor from there on out.

azMO

Reaction score
I agree. I have less than 5000kms on my new Rebel and it has had numerous trips to the dealer with the last trip resulting in a Ram Classic as a loaner while they took a few days to diagnose a creaky steering wheel and swap out 3 different parts until fixed (the steering shaft or something is what fixed it). I didnt buy this expensive truck just to take trips to the dealer and drive a loaner worth 20k less. that said, its a really nice truck and now that it is fixed im enjoying it... just hope it stays that way.

HemiDude

Reaction score
That's the second time I've heard of that message lately. I will be interested to find out what is causing it

Users who are viewing this thread