5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought my first RAM. Question

Ahill463

Reaction score
Hello

Bought a new 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 hemi (no eco). Bought it about 7 weeks
Ago. Have 1000 miles on it. I was driving today and noticed coming from a stop sign when I hit the gas it almost felt like I was in neutral. Kind of freaked me out I pulled over put it in park and then back in drive and all was good. It’s my first truck so not sure what I did or if theee is something to worry about. Didn’t happen again and no clue how to recreate the issue.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you roll through stop signs often, you'll find that the zf 8 speed can feel like that if you catch it between gears or in a dead spot of the "map." The solution is either slow down more(or stop) or put your foot into harder which can have the effect of throwing you into the seat when it decides to shift.
Even in the BMW I had previously it would act similarly when rolling through stop signs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Reaction score
This is common on a lot of cars with higher geared transmissions.
Come to full stops and it won’t happen.
If you roll the stops, this is pretty prevelent

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a Pulsar last year and installed it. That eliminated the 2nd to 1st back to 2nd thump you get with a rolling stop.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello

Bought a new 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 hemi (no eco). Bought it about 7 weeks
Ago. Have 1000 miles on it. I was driving today and noticed coming from a stop sign when I hit the gas it almost felt like I was in neutral. Kind of freaked me out I pulled over put it in park and then back in drive and all was good. It’s my first truck so not sure what I did or if theee is something to worry about. Didn’t happen again and no clue how to recreate the issue.

First, all 5.7 Hemis have the Eco feature. Or did you mean eTorque?

But let me guess: you were coming to a stop, but the vehicle did not come to a complete stop. And when this happened the vehicle was just barely rolling, perhaps not even one mile per hour. Then you accelerated.

This is not a sign of a problem. The ZF transmissions are a learning type, which means after time the computer will tailor shifts to your style of driving and this affect will either disappear or diminish. I've had three Ram 1500s and they all did what yours is doing until I got a few thousand miles on it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044927 miles.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck. As others have said if you come to a complete stop it shouldn’t happen .

Users who are viewing this thread