5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Both Key Fobs stopped “working”

Horninco

Reaction score
2020 Limited

Key fob I use every day suddenly would not open doors or remote start, but would allow me to open the door when I touch the handle and turn the truck on when in my pocket. But would not work when I push the key fob buttons including the panic button. Even thought the red light came on, I assumed low battery in the fob.

Replaced battery

Same problem

So I got the spare out of the drawer. It had never been used.

Same problem. Remote doesn’t work remotely but would unlock doors when I touch the handle and start the truck when I got in. Replaced that battery no change.

WTF?

I saw a suggestion to disconnect the truck battery and touch the leads. Is that the fix?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Limited

Key fob I use every day suddenly would not open doors or remote start, but would allow me to open the door when I touch the handle and turn the truck on when in my pocket. But would not work when I push the key fob buttons including the panic button. Even thought the red light came on, I assumed low battery in the fob.

Replaced battery

Same problem

Same problem. Remote doesn’t work remotely but would unlock doors when I touch the handle and start the truck when I got in. Replaced that battery no change.

WTF?

I saw a suggestion to disconnect the truck battery and touch the leads. Is that the fix?
My wife's keyfob stopped working one day. Mine still worked fine. The next day hers was working again. I did nothing to the truck

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
by any chance have you checked the back seat area for any water intrusion? specifically the back seat back rest area? or even the floor? if it's wet... chances are, you rf module has shorted. I really hope this is not your issue.

or have you changed any lights to after market led? some led causes rf interfaces.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
by any chance have you checked the back seat area for any water intrusion? specifically the back seat back rest area? or even the floor? if it's wet... chances are, you rf module has shorted. I really hope this is not your issue.

or have you changed any lights to after market led? some led causes rf interfaces.
I saw that, where someone said they installed LED bulbs and fob quit working. I'm afraid to do any mods on a new vehicle, they are sensitive to so many mods effecting things.

stickman77

Reaction score
Oh man. I thought I had locked the 2021 Ram the previous night. Woke up the next morning and tried to unlock and no lights flashing to unlock. Pulled the handle and the door was unlocked. Come to find out my fob never locked the truck. Both fobs are not working right. The red light on the fobs comes on but does not lock or unlock the truck. Have lights inside and it's not a battery issue. Truck started up with fobs with me. But can't lock truck.

Heard about the RF module issue that some are having. Checked for leaks. Nothing that I can see. I am leaning towards an electrical issue and possible corrupt or going corrupt RF module. Heard that the module can go out at anytime and leave you stranded. This truck may have been showing the first signs of a major issue with the fobs going bad at the same time. I disconnected the negative cable for 15 seconds and connected back again. The fobs worked once again after that.

I was planning on selling anyway and this just expedited the process. Just sold the truck today. Huge weight off the shoulders. I don't like all the electronics with these new truck. Very sensitive. A small leak at the 3rd brake light or back window can trickle down and screw up the RF module and cause get you locked out of the car, leave you stranded or cause an accident. Bad placement for a vital component.
2020 Limited

Replaced battery

Same problem

WTF?

Boyvan

Reaction score
I read somewhere in owner's manual that your key fob shouldn't be close to your cell phone because it will interfere with the signal. I had an issue with my key fob and realized that sometimes I put my phone in the same pocket as my key fob. Now I keep an eye on them and dont let them get close to each other.....:ROFLMAO:.......key fob issues have since vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread