5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring vs. S Type / S&B Cold Air Intake

GTart75

Reaction score
Hey crew,
I really have enjoyed 'creeping' through lots of good posts/conversations! ;)
I'm new to the group and this is my first post here.
I just bought a new 2019 Ram Laramie (LOVE IT SO FAR). After reading all the reviews, feeling like the Borla cat back is what I'd like to put on.
Does anyone have video of their 'Touring' installed on the 2019 Ram? I've found plenty of S Type 'Which by the videos I really like', but like you boys - I have wife, kids - this is going to be my 'sales work truck' - thinking safer bet would be the Touring. Would just like to see/hear more live video (not just the Borla website video.) Just a note - the reason I am considering the exhaust is because my good buddy who works on trucks/cars says putting a cold air intake on my 5.7 Hemi would be good for the engine long term. I am looking at the S&B Cold Air intake (link to the one I'm looking at). Any input there would be greatly appreciated. I am hearing that a cold air intake & cat back would not void any warranty on my truck.? Thanks again for input. Happy to be in 'DA CLUB!'

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
I put the Borla Atak on my Laramie today. Sound clips will do very little good. It doesn’t even compare to the clips I’ve heard anywhere.

Rambro23

Reaction score
Hey crew,
I just bought a new 2019 Ram Laramie (LOVE IT SO FAR). After reading all the reviews, feeling like the Borla cat back is what I'd like to put on.
Does anyone have video of their 'Touring' installed on the 2019 Ram? I've found plenty of S Type 'Which by the videos I really like', but like you boys - I have wife, kids - this is going to be my 'sales work truck' - thinking safer bet would be the Touring. Would just like to see/hear more live video (not just the Borla website video.) Just a note - the reason I am considering the exhaust is because my good buddy who works on trucks/cars says putting a cold air intake on my 5.7 Hemi would be good for the engine long term. I am looking at the S&B Cold Air intake (link to the one I'm looking at). Any input there would be greatly appreciated. I am hearing that a cold air intake & cat back would not void any warranty on my truck.? Thanks again for input. Happy to be in 'DA CLUB!'
Personally, I'd go with the Magnaflow cat-back. Myself, wife and kids love mine and has no drone! Also, its not too obnoxious.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had both and both were deemed “ too “ loud by the wife and daughters and were promptly taken off.

popcenator

Reaction score
I’ve had both and both were deemed “ too “ loud by the wife and daughters and were promptly taken off.
I've seen your brief reviews of both kits. I'm just wondering if it was too loud outside the vehicle for them or if the noise inside is what was too loud. I'm thinking of going with the S-type and as long as the noise is tolerable inside I'm ok. I figured if it was too loud I'd just get the resonator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Reaction score
It was too loud both inside and outside for them. Now for me to spend that type of money both times and do away with them to please my family lol that tells you something. Then again I now have a Mopar catback paired with Mopar tips and when I punch it she ( wife ) still comments. Well it belongs to her now so deal with it. :)

popcenator

Reaction score
It was too loud both inside and outside for them. Now for me to spend that type of money both times and do away with them to please my family lol that tells you something. Then again I now have a Mopar catback paired with Mopar tips and when I punch it she ( wife ) still comments. Well it belongs to her now so deal with it. :)
What did YOU think? Would you say it was too loud? I had a fairly loud exhaust on my 2012 and my wife and kids seemed to be alright with it. There was a little drone on that system, but I liked it.

Sorry to sidebar the thread OP.

Last edited:

jonnyt

Reaction score
I have the S on for about 3k miles. It is loud, it seems as if it has tamed down a bit after break in. That or I am getting used to it and enjoy it. Borla does make a resonator to tone it down a bit as well. I know a few folks on here have done that route.

GTart75

Reaction score
You guys with the Cat Backs on your Ram...do y’all have cold air intakes on the engine? If so, which intakes did you put on? Txs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Reaction score
No cai for me currently, I’m running with the AFE drop in filter.

popcenator

Reaction score
No cat back yet, but I have the Vararam from my 2012 installed.

Mrdamon

Reaction score
I have the S-type, I added the Borla resonator to take the edge off. It is perfect! Sounds awesome, not too loud unless I floor it.
Stype without the resonator had just too much noise

RamSco

Reaction score
Hey crew,
I did the S&B cold air intake along with the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back and am very pleased. Reason I went with Flowmaster is it’s 3” all the way back to 4” black tips (I believe most others are 2.5-2.75”). Very throaty almost like an old school big block with headers and tuned muffler sound. It’s as subtle or loud as you want depending on throttle pressure. Wife thinks it’s a little loud when I romp on it but that’s easy to avoid. I’d do the same set up again.

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Hey crew,
I put on the touring, left resonators on sounds awesome and no drone. My neighbor has Magnaflow mine sounds deeper throatier love it.

Last edited:

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
I have the S-type, I added the Borla resonator to take the edge off. It is perfect! Sounds awesome, not too loud unless I floor it.
Stype without the resonator had just too much noise

I just install the S Type and i agree with you...too loud!!! Did the resonator reduce the sound level or the weird "old truck with missing exhaust parts" sound(or best... both!)?

Users who are viewing this thread