5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring - How I lowered the volume

bryman

Reaction score
I recently ordered and put on the Borla Touring system. I was very impressed with the sound and quality of the system, but it was just way too loud for me, especially since I've had a quieter Type-S systems on a '15 Mustang in the past. This truck is a bit more of my Cadillac and less of a hot rod for me, and one of the things I like about it is how quiet it is in the interior. Now don't get me wrong, the stock exhaust is way too quiet, but after I put on the Touring you could hear it at all times, and even felt some vibration in the steering wheel. It sounded freaking awesome but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it at startup in the winter. I knew if I took my partner for a ride in it, she would kill me. Heck, it even spooked my dogs which usually are in the back seat. :oops:

So, I looked into the optional resonator 60667 to tone it down: 2019-2022 Ram 1500 Connecting Pipe Part # 60667
I listened to some vids and read some threads, and some said it was enough while others said still too loud. I figured it probably would still be too loud for me too, and I'd rather have too quiet than too loud. So I searched the Borla website for something else that might work and came up with part 400500: Universal Muffler Part # 400500
To make sure it would work, I called up Borla. The gentlemen I spoke with did say yeah, all their systems are very loud on the Rams, and the Rams are just loud to begin with. I asked him if the 400500 would work on the midpipe and he said he didn't think of a reason why not. He said they came up with this muffler to test with the Heliphant motor, so he was sure it could handle the application. I thought it would do more to quiet things down than the resonator, so I decided to give it a shot.

20220519_174140.jpg

I also ordered two Accuseal clamps as they don't come with this universal muffler - Borla 18330: Accessory Part # 18330
From the mid-pipe, a friend and I cut from the factory resonator weld back exactly 24":
20220522_101100.jpg

Installed on midpipe:
20220522_100127.jpg

Borla Touring system behind it:
20220522_100135.jpg

Some pics:
20220522_104139.jpg

20220522_104148.jpg

Cold start video

Warm idling video

Last edited:

bryman

Reaction score
Impressions: It is slightly louder than stock at startup and idle, but not by much. You have the deep rumble but not much extra volume. At all speeds, there is no drone and while cruising you have to really listen for it, but there's a deeper tone than stock. On acceleration, especially medium to heavy, it is glorious, but probably not too much louder than stock. I am extremely happy now; it's exactly what I wanted. I can hear the nice Hemi sounds when I want to, but it's a perfectly civil daily driver if you have kids/dogs/passengers etc.

Last edited:

Distinct_Memory

Reaction score
Thank you for this write up and the videos! I have been scouring the internet to find what I believe is this exhaust setup!

I purchased a 2021 1500 that had the Borla ATAK system already installed, which sounds great but is WAY too loud for my liking (and my neighbors'/family's!) especially during those cold starts. After watching video after video, reading for hours on forums/reddit posts it was still up in the air whether or not the Touring system with a resonator would work for me. I think you may have cracked the case! How are you liking your exhaust setup now that you have had it for awhile? Anything you wish you did differently?

I wonder how many decibels you are producing (namely on cold start) with this... Would love to know if you have tested this! I saw another member comparing Stock vs Borla Touring (No resonator) decibel readings and it was interesting

Sorry for reviving this older post, but would be great to hear from you!

Users who are viewing this thread