5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla touring cat back exhaust rubbing on passenger side suspension bump stop

shrike20

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone else ran into this fitment issue. As the title states I just had a Borla touring cat back installed by my local dealership because I didnt have Jack stands high enough to get the factory exhaust out without cutting it. Anyway when I got home I crawled under the truck to check they're handywork and noticed that the passenger side pipe coming off the muffler is rubbing on the passenger side suspension bump stop. It didnt ppear to be installed incorrectly but just to check I loosened up all the nuts in an attempt to adjust the exhaust so it doesn't rub and no matter what I tried it didnt work and ended in the same spot touching that passenger side bump stop when I tightened everything up. I also had a hell of a time adjusting the tips to be centered in the bumper cutouts as well. They're still not as straight as I'd like them to be. It looks like from some of the install videos I've watched online that the passenger side pipe is very close on all the trucks but I cant tell if they're rubbing. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so how they fixed it. When I get time off work I'll see if I can get a pic of where its rubbing and post it on here. Usually borla doesnt have any fitment issues. Thanks in advance to anybody with any input on this.

STR

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this... I literally just install the Borla S-types on my Rebel today. I did it myself on Rhino Ramps. Upon installing everything I noticed that the passenger side was barely touching the same area. All attempts to remedy while installed failed. Upon further inspection I noticed that the welded muffler hangers were bent. So, I had to remove everything, bend the hangers, and reinstall. The second time it was close, but I was still concern that it “might” rub, so I loosen the resonator pipe at the cats... it has a donut gasket, so you can adjust the angle somewhat. By do this I was able to move the entire exhaust slightly to the driver side, which provided proper clearance. Yes, the tips are a PITA too, but finally got them centered... GL

shrike20

Reaction score
Thanks I may give this a try. I actually contacted borla and they said to just send them pics of the issue via email so I did that on friday but haven't heard back from them yet due to the holiday weekend. We'll see what they have to say whenever they get back to me. If they determine that the exhaust is bent or made improperly and they send me a new one and it does the same thing I will definitely try what you said you did. Here's where mine is rubbing.

Attachments

• 20200522_193347.jpg
    20200522_193347.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200522_193448.jpg
    20200522_193448.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200522_193519.jpg
    20200522_193519.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200522_193459.jpg
    20200522_193459.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200522_193407.jpg
    20200522_193407.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 113

STR

Reaction score
I can get it finger in there, and no rubbing so far since my adjustment, but the hangers were definitely not bent/angled correctly. Hope you get it resolved. Keeps us updated. GL

shrike20

Reaction score
Borla actually just contacted me earlier today and is sending me a replacement exhaust. Dont know if it's going to be an entire system or just the muffler section but they were very helpful and friendly about it. They told me it will ship out this week so hopefully I get it before the weekend so I can swap them out and see if the new one they send me fits better. I can definitely vouch for some good customer service by borla

STR

Reaction score
Great to hear. Hopefully it was just a bad kit...

shrike20

Reaction score
Got my full cat back replacement exhaust the other day and finally got the time to install it. The new one borla sent me fit perfectly with no rubbing issues. It makes me think the first one may have been damaged during shipping. Anyway they are sending fedex to my house today with a return shipping label to send the old exhaust back to them so I dont even have the lug the old exhaust to the fedex place to ship it back to them. Great customer service and I'm a happy camper. This is a prime example of that old saying "you get what you pay for". (y)

STR

Reaction score
Good to hear that everything worked out...

Amazing93

Reaction score
Mine rubs in the same place. Maybe I will contact them.

shrike20

Reaction score
Amazing93, If you were like me and tried everything to fix the problem like loosening everything and attempting to readjust it and if you have no luck with that try taking it to a local reputable exhaust shop. If neither of those options work for you and it still rubs then I'd contact them. I'm sure they will get the problem fixed just like they did with me. Since theres not much clearance to work with in the first place I think if the shipping service mishandles it in any way like dropping it and bending it then it could throw the whole system off. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

TxAg98

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a dead post but I installed mine today and had the EXACT same issue on my '21. Also, were you able to use the rubber hanger at the joint between the mid pipe and the muffler section? Theres a hanger on the muffler section but there is not way in hell that the rubber hanger will work as the post on the muffler section and the post coming off the frame rail are literally millimeters from each other.

redneck

Reaction score
crap i just ordered a borla cat back for my 21 hope they didnt mess up a run of exhaust systems

Bearman95

Reaction score
My Borla touring that I put on my Laramie maybe a year and a half ago lines up fine left and right. However the passenger side is approximately 1/16 inch lower than the driver side. Just looking at it you cannot really tell. The only way I noticed it is when I run a rag or sponge up under it to wash my tail pipe tips!

Attachments

• 9059DD4F-B8A9-46D6-BA07-5F6CD0CB9568.jpeg
    9059DD4F-B8A9-46D6-BA07-5F6CD0CB9568.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 43

TxAg98

Reaction score
FWIW, I contacted Borla about my crappy fitment. They said send them a picture of the area, a copy of the purchase invoice, and a shipping address and they are sending me out a replacement under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread