5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S-Type too loud

ryanrod22

Reaction score
Can adding two resonators to the front of my 2020 Ram 1500 damage my vehicle over time? I have the Borla S-Type and it is too loud for the early Mornings so I need to mellow it down. Would I expect to see a drop in MPG or HP?

ryanrod22

Reaction score
Can adding two resonators to the front of my 2020 Ram 1500 damage my vehicle over time? I have the Borla S-Type and it is too loud for the early Mornings so I need to mellow it down. Would I expect to see a drop in MPG or HP?
Or should I just add the Borla resonator to quiet it down in early morning cold starts?

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
Borla® Website - Owner Question
Response By Email (Ryan) (01/13/2020 12:22 PM)
Both. It would drop you (not all the way, but) close to the Touring sound level.

Thank you,
Ryan Baker
Borla Performance Industries
Direct: (805) 246-6073

Customer By Service Email (Mathieu Audry) (01/11/2020 11:50 AM)
Hi,
I recently installed a 140752bc type s exhaust on my 2020 Ram Rebel. On my taste, the sound is too aggressive and too loud. I see on your site the 60667 resonator. Did this resonator affect the sound level, the sound agressivity

I already borla about it

ryanrod22

Reaction score
Borla® Website - Owner Question
Response By Email (Ryan) (01/13/2020 12:22 PM)
Both. It would drop you (not all the way, but) close to the Touring sound level.

Thank you,
Ryan Baker
Borla Performance Industries
Direct: (805) 246-6073

Customer By Service Email (Mathieu Audry) (01/11/2020 11:50 AM)
Hi,
I recently installed a 140752bc type s exhaust on my 2020 Ram Rebel. On my taste, the sound is too aggressive and too loud. I see on your site the 60667 resonator. Did this resonator affect the sound level, the sound agressivity

I already borla about it
Did you end up installing the resonator that borla offers? And if so we’re you able to tell a significant difference?

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Sell me th s type for 500 and use th 500 and get a touring

popcenator

Reaction score
The resonator helps a little, but it's mainly designed to address any drone, which they claim doesn't exist. The cold starts will likely be loud still. It will tame down a little once it has some miles on it. I was in the same boat as you and added the resonator. I'm currently thinking about taking the resonator off and welding a straight pipe to increase the sound.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ryanrod22

Reaction score
The cold starts are about the only thing that bother me and I’m new to the exhaust world so I’ve already purchased the resonator and was hoping that it would tone it down. Borla told me adding the borla resonator and the factory resonator will cause no harm to the truck but they have never tried it. Could two front resonators be bad for the truck? Asking those who know more about exhausts than I do.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I installed a mopar cat back system and it was too loud for my taste. More muscle car than truck. I added the 10” borla resonator ahead of the muffler and it made a significant difference. Took the whole thing - cold starts, low rpm, high rpm - down from an 11 to an 8 or 9. Warm idle has a nice low burble - reminds of a boat for some reason.

The only thing that bugs me is towing… when you’re sitting at 3.5/4k RPM up a hill, it can get a little obnoxious. Otherwise, it’s perfect.

I should add that I’ve got the Ram AirFlow CAI installed too. Not sure how much a part that plays in the exhaust note, if any.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bet you could just pick up a stock system for cheap to "free if you get it out of here" that will quiet the truck right down.

popcenator

Reaction score
The cold starts are about the only thing that bother me and I’m new to the exhaust world so I’ve already purchased the resonator and was hoping that it would tone it down. Borla told me adding the borla resonator and the factory resonator will cause no harm to the truck but they have never tried it. Could two front resonators be bad for the truck? Asking those who know more about exhausts than I do.
No. It's not bad, resonators are for sound modification only. I suggest starting with the resonator and giving it some time. Like I said, I thought it was a little loud for me at first, but I wouldn't change it at all now, in fact I kind of want it louder now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: STR

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
Did you end up installing the resonator that borla offers? And if so we’re you able to tell a significant difference?
I bought the resonator but never install it. I don’t know if the packing in the muffler settle or i just gettting used to the sound but i kept it as is…

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
On my 2006 Charger R/T Daytona, I have the 5.7 Hemi with JBA short headers. It had straight pipes with old shoddy BBK headers on it when I bought the car. Along with the JBA headers, I installed stock R/T exhaust with cats off of another R/T car, but removed the mufflers leaving only the cats and two resonators. This made the sound perfect. It's very mind on cold start and when just putting around. But sounds very strong under load. And there is no drone. I'm sure a setup similar to that on a 5.7 Hemi truck would sound very similar. The only thing that would be better are the OEM pipes off of a 392 Charger with the PCM-controlled active exhaust and deceleration gurgle. Of course, then you go back to waking up the neighbors. But it's worth it.

cambelloni

Reaction score
This is kind of an old thread but I figured I'd add my thoughts after having installed the Borla S-Type on my 2022 Ram Rebel. The short of it is I hate it. Cold starts are obnoxious and the drone I get when eco mode is active, when the truck is lugging is horrible. When eco isn't active, it's the sound I was going for but eco is active so often on these trucks, it's all I can hear. Driving around town I'm constantly forcing it out of eco to get it to stop. I'm hoping that maybe over time I'll get used to it but for now, it's pretty bad.

My goal was to wake up the truck a little bit, the stock exhaust was pretty quiet and now I've gone way too far in the wrong direction. I do think that the Borla resonator helped a lot but I still have that drone at low RPM around town.

My advice to anyone with a new Ram that's thinking of adding an exhaust is to first go to an exhaust shop. If I could go back in time, I would have started there and made small incremental changes vs. an entire cat back swap. It would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation. Live and learn I guess.

RamLink83

Reaction score
This is kind of an old thread but I figured I'd add my thoughts after having installed the Borla S-Type on my 2022 Ram Rebel. The short of it is I hate it. Cold starts are obnoxious and the drone I get when eco mode is active, when the truck is lugging is horrible. When eco isn't active, it's the sound I was going for but eco is active so often on these trucks, it's all I can hear. Driving around town I'm constantly forcing it out of eco to get it to stop. I'm hoping that maybe over time I'll get used to it but for now, it's pretty bad.

My goal was to wake up the truck a little bit, the stock exhaust was pretty quiet and now I've gone way too far in the wrong direction. I do think that the Borla resonator helped a lot but I still have that drone at low RPM around town.

My advice to anyone with a new Ram that's thinking of adding an exhaust is to first go to an exhaust shop. If I could go back in time, I would have started there and made small incremental changes vs. an entire cat back swap. It would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation. Live and learn I guess.
I bypass eco mode by using the gear selector on the steering wheel. Press the down arrow and then push up until you get to 8. It will never go into eco mode. Only downside you have to do that everytime to put it into drive. I do it out of habit now.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score

Where are you located?’I’ll take it off your hands

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's this drone you speak of? There's no drone with my system. Even when in eco mode, which my truck doesn't get very often.

Users who are viewing this thread