5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S Type Sucks??

Wadlum22

Reaction score
So... I just installed my borla s type catback and I'm just gonna say it, it sucks. It sounds amazing from the outside but inside is just obnoxious. All of my cars have loud exhausts. I've had everything from straight piped trucks, expensive cat backs on 4 cylinders, inline 6, v8s, glass packs etc. So I have a very open mind when it comes to something loud. I enjoy it and do it to literally every vehicle I own. I did a ton of research and narrowed it down to the s type. I wanted something a little toned down for this truck but enough to definitely hear it. I also wanted something with a clean deep tone. Decided to spend a little more and go with borla because of their claim of no drone, but that's definitely not the case in my opinion. The drone is always there. It's not just "exhaust sound", it's a drone. I know the difference. Even with mds off it's there. Pretty disappointed. Sort of wondering if it's defective based on the positive reviews I've seen. Or somehow the ANC is messing with the sound in the cab (no idea if that's even possible). Either way it doesn't sound good in the cab... at all. Even when I open it and know it's going to be loud, the tone is an almost hollow, sort of growl, with an extremely unpleasant frequency. I have to turn my music up pretty loud while cruising just to drown it out, but even then I can still hear it. I feel like I could've got the same (or better) results with a $200 muffler delete. I'm torn between taking it off, or spending another $200 for the borla resonator in the hopes to "fix" it. Just to potentially have it still sound obnoxious. Anyone know if there's a break in period or something I could be missing? (Unlikely I know).. Again, I'm not new to loud exhausts. I wasn't expecting (or wanting) a quiet set up. I wanted something quality. Honestly don't feel like I got that.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try reaching out to Borla and see what they say. Exhausts do break in over a little bit of time.
To deactivate the ANC you can crack a window and see if the drone goes away.

Wadlum22

Reaction score
Try reaching out to Borla and see what they say. Exhausts do break in over a little bit of time.
To deactivate the ANC you can crack a window and see if the drone goes away.
I thought about contacting them but wasn't sure if I should contact them or american trucks (where I bought it)... So all I have to do is crack the window and it cancels the anc? Never heard of that. I was thinking I could just pull a fuse or something

shauste

Reaction score
I have the S-Type and I don't have a problem with the sound. I'd tried just mufflers before and didn't like the weird sound they made. I love the S-Type sound. Atak was too aggressive judged by YouTube videos. I was afraid Touring would be too wimping, so I went middle of the road.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought about contacting them but wasn't sure if I should contact them or american trucks (where I bought it)... So all I have to do is crack the window and it cancels the anc? Never heard of that. I was thinking I could just pull a fuse or something
The way to cancel it permanently is to disconnect the microphones from the amp under the driver's seat by removing the correct pins. Alternatively, a harness can also be bought which does the same thing. There's threads around here about it.

Wadlum22

Reaction score
The way to cancel it permanently is to disconnect the microphones from the amp under the driver's seat by removing the correct pins. Alternatively, a harness can also be bought which does the same thing. There's threads around here about it.
Ye itries that and it didn't fix the drone. I contacted borla and sent them sound clips. They said everything sounded "normal" and that they'd refund me or swap out the s type for a touring. Decided to return it and just do an after market muffler. The customer service at borla is amazing. He thinks that the tone of the exhaust just "doesn't agree" with me. He said it's rare but it has happened, seeing that sound is very subjective. It was pretty cool they were willing to take it back at no cost to me. Pretty disappointed seeing that I love borla and have had their systems in the past. Just something about this system on a 5th gen I guess

popcenator

Reaction score
I installed the resonator as I had drone with my S-type as well, the resonator definitely helped reduce that significantly. I don't regret the S-type at all, I've heard muffler swaps on the 5th gen and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Yes you can get the loud V8 sound from a straight pipe but the tone is usually **** especially at WOT. I was lucky and found a new Borla resonator for $160 so it was completely worth it for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Wadlum22

Reaction score
I installed the resonator as I had drone with my S-type as well, the resonator definitely helped reduce that significantly. I don't regret the S-type at all, I've heard muffler swaps on the 5th gen and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Yes you can get the loud V8 sound from a straight pipe but the tone is usually **** especially at WOT. I was lucky and found a new Borla resonator for $160 so it was completely worth it for me.

I'm gonna go with an aftermarket muffler replacement

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with an aftermarket muffler replacement
I hope it does the trick for you, I definitely understand what you were saying about the drone. I think you would have been happy with it once you got the resonator on. I almost put my stock exhaust back on but decided to give the resonator a try and I'm glad I did.

djants

Reaction score
I have the s-type as well. I can understand where you're coming from. If it's just me in the car I don't mind the drone, but going on long drives with the wife and kid, it gets kind of annoying. It's like 1500-1800rpm is the drone range. I bought the borla resonator as well, didn't install it yet. For anyone who installed the resonator, did you replace the stock resonator or kept the stock and added the borla?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread