5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S-Type Exhaust Update (1 Year)

STR

Reaction score
I figured I’d post an update as a few have asked me about my exhaust set-up. I first posted here (#113): https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...xhuast-system-s-type.17969/page-6#post-283991.

I installed the Borla S-Type Exhaust on my 2020 Rebel shorty after delivery in May 2020. It’s nearly a year old and still going strong, but sounding stronger. I have had a lot of experience with numerous exhaust set-ups on various vehicles, but this might be the first exhaust system, without packing material, that actually got louder with age. I don’t know how that’s possible, but it’s definitely louder. Perhaps it’s due to soot coating, piston seating, ECU break-in recalibration, ... whatever, but I’d say that the volume increased by 15-20% (Note: confirmed not to have any exhaust leaks). This is not only my observation, but perceived by many others.

As mentioned in the previous post, I debated on going with the ATAK, but like(d) the deeper tone of the S-Type. The only sound comparisons I had last year was via YouTube. Since then, a friend of mine installed the ATAK on his 2020 Bighorn. We both agree that they have the same volume, except the tone is different. The ATAK is more of a scream (high pitch) and the S-Type is more of a shout (deeper tone), but the actual loudness is similar. NOTE: the ATAK also got louder with age.

If the OEM set-up is a “1”, the S-Type (new) is a “7’ish”, and now it’s an “8.5+”. IMO, only headers with a muffler and resonators delete would be louder. It still sounds and looks great. It has a little deeper and throatier tone, and the SS piping and 5” black tips have held up well in the northeast winter road salt and other anti-icing chemicals.

Lastly, many have asked if it drones/resonates, and that answer is yes, BUT, it’s minimal. You can easily maneuver around it with the pedal by increasing or decreasing the RPMs. A technique that you can also perform to control the volume. You can feather the throttle in the morning so as to not wake up the neighbors, but there is no way around the cold start. It does bark. I haven’t towed yet, but would suspect that the drone would be more noticeable. Also, the Multi-Displacement System (MDS)-cylinder deactivation is barely audible.

I still highly recommend this set-up, and have no regrets. I would not hesitate installing the S-Type on another RAM, or any other vehicle, but note that it’s noticeably louder on the 5th Gen compared to previously Gens. I hope that combustible engines will continue to be around for a while. There is nothing that sounds better than a HEMI V8... with the right exhaust!

popcenator

Reaction score
I absolutely love the S-Type, I have the resonator installed as well and sometimes think about removing it. Even with the resonator it's loud is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on the 5th gen.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
Ha... take it off. You might like it. If not, reinstall. It’s just a bolt-on, right?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ha... take it off. You might like it. If not, reinstall. It’s just a bolt-on, right?
It's clamped on so it's easy to remove, but I'd need a pipe to clamp on in it's place. Now that I think about it, that might not be a bad idea

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: STR

Users who are viewing this thread