5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S Type exhaust install

Dan Houle

Reaction score
After probably too much research, I finally pulled the trigger on a Borla S Type exhaust for my 2022 Rebel. Had it installed on Friday & have had it for a few days to get used to it. It is definitely loud, a little louder than I envisioned. But there is no drone what so ever, which was my biggest concern. Gonna give it a few weeks, I may have the Borla resonator put on it. Side note, took my buddy for a ride, he said it sounds awesome, don't touch it. 😆

I guess if I had it to do over again, I probably would go with the Touring. But even if it costs me a couple hundred more dollars for the resonator, I think I'll have it dialed in pretty good.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m considering the Borla ATAK, did you cut your stock exhaust to get it out?
I didn't cut mine when I installed my Atak
The shop did cut it at the muffler. But videos show you can do it w/o cutting.
Because shops are lazy unless you explicit tell them not to do something.
I sold my OEM exhaust for $180 offsetting the $550 I paid for month old used Atak.

Dan Houle

Reaction score

I sold my OEM exhaust for $180 offsetting the $550 I paid for month old used Atak.
It had already been cut off before. I had a Magnaflow muffler put on it right after I got it. The drone was awful. Went back the next day & had them put the stock muffler back on. But I did keep the whole exhaust, put it in my attic.

meansteve69

Reaction score
The shop did cut it at the muffler. But videos show you can do it w/o cutting.
I ended up cutting mine out - made the removal incredibly easy. Didn't have to jack up the truck or spend anytime removing any other components. Removed the exhaust, installed the new one, and returned the rental reciprocating saw within the 4hrs no problem and now the stock exhaust fits in the Borla box (y)

And zero regrets... the new borla atak sounds amazing 🤤

meansteve69

Reaction score

Ah what a steal for the Atak! I was able to get mine new ~$1100 and put it on yesterday. Sounds so great. 😎

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah what a steal for the Atak! I was able to get mine new ~$1100 and put it on yesterday. Sounds so great. 😎
I would of gladly paid $1200.
Some guy on the fourms got it and didn't realize how loud it was and I guess he leaves for work around 4am in the moving and lived in a populated culdesac like area.

meansteve69

Reaction score
I would of gladly paid $1200.
Some guy on the fourms got it and didn't realize how loud it was and I guess he leaves for work around 4am in the moving and lived in a populated culdesac like area.
Haha ahh but the cold start might be my favorite thing about it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha ahh but the cold start might be my favorite thing about it
I love my cold starts, but I also hate my neighbors so I don't care if they don't like the sound.
There are no laws in my city\state about loud exhausts that I know of. They will start using jackhammers at 7am on the main road outside which does suck though when they were doing road work.

MARTY

Reaction score
I have the Atak on my 2019. Shop asked if I wanted to keep old exhaust. No need as it will never go back on.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the sound difference on Chevys versus the Hemi. I had a Silverado with just the Touring muffler welded to the factory pipes. It had a nice rumble when I got on it, but was not loud at all. Major improvement over the factory exhaust on that truck. I ordered the S Type for the Rebel as I wanted slightly louder than my old Touring. It seems the Hemi has a decent growl from the factory, comparable to the Touring on my Silverado, so the S Type should have been perfect. It was much louder on the Hemi than I originally wanted, but I love it.

In comparison, my friend just installed an S Type on his 2013 Camaro SS and it sounds similar to my old Touring. The Rebel is considerably louder than his Camaro with the same S type system.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the sound difference on Chevys versus the Hemi. I had a Silverado with just the Touring muffler welded to the factory pipes. It had a nice rumble when I got on it, but was not loud at all. Major improvement over the factory exhaust on that truck. I ordered the S Type for the Rebel as I wanted slightly louder than my old Touring. It seems the Hemi has a decent growl from the factory, comparable to the Touring on my Silverado, so the S Type should have been perfect. It was much louder on the Hemi than I originally wanted, but I love it.

In comparison, my friend just installed an S Type on his 2013 Camaro SS and it sounds similar to my old Touring. The Rebel is considerably louder than his Camaro with the same S type system.
I had an 18 Silverado with a 5.3 and a Borla Atak and it is just as loud as my Ram maybe SLIGHTLY quieter.
The 5.7 HEMI is overall a bigger engine.

The stock exhaust on the Ram sounds great.

The Camaro has a 6.2, but the engine itself is kinda quiet. I has a 2012 2SS with a stock exhaust and ended up selling it before I went to mod it.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
The reason I went with a Borla was because I had a 2006 Tundra XSP that had a Borla on it when I bought it new. The growl was absolutely perfect, loved it. Unfortunately my wife was involved in accident and it didn’t survive. LOL. Thankfully she limped away. But I wasn’t sure what was on the Tundra, the Atak, S type, or Touring? I am pretty sure I gonna put the resonator on this S Type on my 2022 Rebel, still a tad loud for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread