5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla full system vs muffler benefits

Gdpdp

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and am considering the Borla S-type cat back system. Given the truck already has the dual exit style system installed stock, can someone help me understand the benefits of replacing the entire system (ie pipes, tips, in addition to muffler) vs just replacing the stock muffler with the S type muffler? Any difference in sound, performance, etc?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The main reason for the Borla complete system is the sound it produces even in MDS (4-cylinder mode). The reason why the stock muffler is like a mini oil drum is to suppress the drone while in MDS mode.

Sometimes, just going with a muffler change will result in an unpleasant drone while in MDS. These more expensive tuned exhaust systems are designed to remove that, while still producing a louder more sportier tone.

As for performance, I think only a dyno or your imagination will notice the few hp this upgrade can produce on a 5,500 lbs truck. It's really just about the sound.

Gdpdp

Reaction score
Very helpful and makes sense - given the significant difference in price I figured there was a reason that not more people opted for this route but couldn’t find much out there. Appreciate it SD Rebel!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Very helpful and makes sense - given the significant difference in price I figured there was a reason that not more people opted for this route but couldn’t find much out there. Appreciate it SD Rebel!

Absolutely, if price was no object, I would have gone the Borla ATAK exhaust, but decided to go with a Flowmaster Outlaw welded in by my muffler shop. Total price was $275 for muffler and installation. Sounds like a 60s muscle car, no drone when cruising. There is a slight drone when in MDS, but I turn my MDS off anyways. But even when I let it run, it doesn't really bother me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't get the full Borla sound with just a muffler swap. The tips and pipes all are part of it.

Black19

Reaction score
I did a muffler only swap. Borla 40353 muffler. Sounds great, $100 on Amazon & muffler shop welded in. I would put the sound level between touring & S-type.

U

User_119824

There is a HUGE difference between a full catback and a muffler swap.

Specific to Borla/Corsa/Other high end catbacks, the biggest improvements are:

- Full T-304 stainless steel. This is a MUCH better and longer lasting material than the 409 grade factory stuff. It is also extremely rust resistant
- 3" exhaust from the cats back vs factory 2.5". More flow, more power, more sound.
- Nice tips that will fill the gaps in the bumper much better than the factory

Just doing a muffler is fine for sound, but if you actually want to improve exhaust flow and get the full on sound out of an exhaust, a catback is necessary. More expensive, but compared to a muffler swap it is apples to oranges.

Also you may want to consider drone in the cab. Some like it, some don't. My wife absolutely can not deal with the resonance many exhausts cause so I had to spend the money on a Corsa system as they are the only company that guarantees no drone in the cab.

Just some advice from a guy who has bought more exhausts over the years than he cares to remember. Lol. Best of luck and the Borla's do sound great...the S-Types are usually a bit louder in person than expected. I had the ATAK on an '18 F150 with the 5.0L and it was ridiculous. The neighbors HATED it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a HUGE difference between a full catback and a muffler swap.

Specific to Borla/Corsa/Other high end catbacks, the biggest improvements are:

- Full T-304 stainless steel. This is a MUCH better and longer lasting material than the 409 grade factory stuff. It is also extremely rust resistant
- 3" exhaust from the cats back vs factory 2.5". More flow, more power, more sound.
- Nice tips that will fill the gaps in the bumper much better than the factory

Just doing a muffler is fine for sound, but if you actually want to improve exhaust flow and get the full on sound out of an exhaust, a catback is necessary. More expensive, but compared to a muffler swap it is apples to oranges.

Also you may want to consider drone in the cab. Some like it, some don't. My wife absolutely can not deal with the resonance many exhausts cause so I had to spend the money on a Corsa system as they are the only company that guarantees no drone in the cab.

Just some advice from a guy who has bought more exhausts over the years than he cares to remember. Lol. Best of luck and the Borla's do sound great...the S-Types are usually a bit louder in person than expected. I had the ATAK on an '18 F150 with the 5.0L and it was ridiculous. The neighbors HATED it.
None of the catback systems for the 5th gen change the size of the pipe up to the muffler. They literally bolt on to the factory pipe about a foot in front of the muffler.

U

User_119824

None of the catback systems for the 5th gen change the size of the pipe up to the muffler. They literally bolt on to the factory pipe about a foot in front of the muffler.
Interesting.

I still say catback is the only way to go. It's the only option I'd ever go with. May as well get the best sound/performance out of it.

Not going to debate performance gains from exhaust modifications. Not worth it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree, the best you can do is a properly built cat-back exhaust, and there are a few for the 5th gen RAM. At the very least, the best sound as they do tune them to eliminate the MDS drone that often is audible in just muffler replacements.

You may gain a few more hp due to the construction of the muffler and removal of the factory resonators.

That being said, you can still accomplish the sound you want at a quarter or 3rd of the budget by going the muffler only route. I personally would have loved a Borla ATAK catback, but got a Flowmaster Outlaw welded in. Similar 60s muscle car sound, I can live with the drone by turning off the MDS. It's great to have choices depending on your budget.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the borla proXS 40353 muffler and deleted the resonators. Basically the same as a $1300+ exhaust for a fraction of the cost. My truck makes right at 400whp with using the stock tail pipes. Really no need to dish out that kinda money when the stock exhaust won’t rust out anyway.

U

User_119824

I did the borla proXS 40353 muffler and deleted the resonators. Basically the same as a $1300+ exhaust for a fraction of the cost. My truck makes right at 400whp with using the stock tail pipes. Really no need to dish out that kinda money when the stock exhaust won’t rust out anyway.
Yeah I had a response to this but I'm just going to see myself right out this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black19

Reaction score
I did the same swap using the same model muffler. I still have my resonators on, but did install 5” tips.
I’m thinking about removing the resonators, but afraid of drone, as is I have very little drone, just a nice sound.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I went with the Borla S type catback as I planned to do it myself. I have a buddy that installed an Borla S type muffler only on a Tahoe and while it sounded OK it was very quiet. About as loud as my stock exhaust was on my truck. Clearly different vehicles, etc. But I didn't want it to become a game of trying different mufflers, taking it to a shop, pulling resonators, etc. So I took the easy way out and bought the S type, installed it in my driveway.

I have no drone, not even in mds. Quiet when driving light to mid throttle and wakes up big time when I step on it. To me it's the best of both a good sounding but reasonable volume exhaust and a loud sports exhaust when I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread