5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Cat Back Group Buy

WyattS42

Reaction score
Magnaflow.
Simply put, impatience got me.
Sale is on, hotexhaust's John is a pleasure to deal with, and the sound characteristics are close to what I'm looking for, it's a quality make.

I'll be honest I think I took some risk!
Noisewise I think it will end up being louder than than a touring model, quieter than an S-type.
Just the opinion I have based on videos and opinions.
For ME, that's fine.
For a lot of the touring guys? MF might be loud. Just my opinion, I haven't heard both side by side in real life.
I can check in with more info once I get it, but it'll be a while before it's put on.

I hear you on the impatience part. You did a full catback or just a muffler? If you did the muffler you plan to leave resonators?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you on the impatience part. You did a full catback or just a muffler? If you did the muffler you plan to leave resonators?

So I ordered the catback system.

Just a note: on my Gen4 Rebel I got a Borla XR1 muffler, put on my standard exhaust system (used a Y-pipe).
That's what brought me to the borla sound. It's got this very "Truck-like" proper sound. I wrote about how much I liked it in another post on here somewhere!
I was set on getting a proper exhaust system though this time around.
In hindsight, it did have drone spots, but I never got a headache, no one ever complained.

Here's an opinion: As I was listening to guys who did standalone mufflers?
There seems to be a clinking or clattering sound. It doesn't sound smooth.
I think it's the resonators. (Judging by videos taken from behind the tailpipes)

From what I can hear on this generation ram? I think standalone mufflers might sound off vs exhaust systems.
And again I'm just some dude that spent tooo much time listening to these and reading, but it seems like all of the quality exhaust systems are less of a crapshoot on drone. It seems like bolting up a muffler is a coinflip on drone. Some guys get it, some don't. The stock resonators are tuned to that stock system.
The aftermarket systems, are designed to function as a system.
Welding up a muffler, honestly I guess I would go to a shop who knows what they're doing if I went that route.

But that's just my opinion.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well as an owner of both the S Type and the Touring, depending on your needs either one will suit it. Fit and finish is spot on with both systems. I’m sure that your Magnaflow will sound great and fit your needs.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Magnaflow.
Simply put, impatience got me.
Sale is on, hotexhaust's John is a pleasure to deal with, and the sound characteristics are close to what I'm looking for, it's a quality make.

I'll be honest I think I took some risk!
Noisewise I think it will end up being louder than than a touring model, quieter than an S-type.
Just the opinion I have based on videos and opinions.
For ME, that's fine.
For a lot of the touring guys? MF might be loud. Just my opinion, I haven't heard both side by side in real life.
I can check in with more info once I get it, but it'll be a while before it's put on.
I can't say from personal experience but the guy at gotexhaust.com suggested the Magnaflow was deeper and more quiet than the Borla Touring. I went with the magna flow for that reason. We will see when my truck gets here.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had exhaust shop install my Magnaflow cat back 2 days ago within an hour of delivery by FedEx! It has nice thunderstorm rumble at idle. It has low interior rumble on any light acceleration and quiets right down when cruising. No drone and a radio level of 6 covers most noise. If you romp on it you will hear a hot rod HEMI and sets you back in seat. I am happy so far and seems like maybe an increase in low end torque as eco light seems to come on a lot more when driving easy. Low rpm's keeps noise low. Stock system pipes were smaller and muffler was like a fat beer keg. New system has clean design with just a few bends. :D IMG_3432.JPG IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3406.JPG

WyattS42

Reaction score
I just had exhaust shop install my Magnaflow cat back 2 days ago within an hour of delivery by FedEx! It has nice thunderstorm rumble at idle. It has low interior rumble on any light acceleration and quiets right down when cruising. No drone and a radio level of 6 covers most noise. If you romp on it you will hear a hot rod HEMI and sets you back in seat. I am happy so far and seems like maybe an increase in low end torque as eco light seems to come on a lot more when driving easy. Low rpm's keeps noise low. Stock system pipes were smaller and muffler was like a fat beer keg. New system has clean design with just a few bends. :D View attachment 10890 View attachment 10892 View attachment 10893

Would there be any way to record some sound clips from the outside and inside while cruising?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say from personal experience but the guy at gotexhaust.com suggested the Magnaflow was deeper and more quiet than the Borla Touring. I went with the magna flow for that reason. We will see when my truck gets here.

Interesting. Finding out it's in the borla touring noise category makes me happy.
Judging by the descriptions, here I was thinking it was more like an S-type!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would there be any way to record some sound clips from the outside and inside while cruising?
I will try today to get some video for sound today.*****update**** I did get cell phone videos but having extensive "senior moments" trying to get #$@# thing uploaded. Have to ask a 5 year old how to do it I guess....lol.... My route with photos isn't working for videos. My Magnaflow is 3 days old and I am happy. Rumbles at idle and low easy take off and interior sound blends away as vehicle upshifts and is easily cruising on level road where sound pretty much disappears.. As soon as engine needs to add power, the distant rumble lightly returns. Easily covered by radio at volume 6 or so. If you romp it, you get nice powerful rumble inside as expected and you feel like a kid in your hot rod Chevelle, Road Runner, or V8 Mustang. At highway cruising speeds on level ,inside gets nice and quiet with no continuous drone. I think the only time inside would be noisiest would be pulling long steep hill especially towing. (just my assumption as higher RPM's will increase exhaust sounds) 60 mph is like 1600 RPM's I think so engine stays pretty quiet. Distant thunderstorm rumble is still best description. I hope this helps. Also, I swear it seems to have more low end torque and eco green light comes on way more often and even though I've tromped on gas up to 80 a couple times my average mpg is edging up some. Seems maybe its more efficient with this exhaust. :geek:

Last edited:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Interesting. Finding out it's in the borla touring noise category makes me happy.
Judging by the descriptions, here I was thinking it was more like an S-type!
I hope i'm right. I'm going based on what I was told by the owner and he sells both. He supported the Borla Group Buy last time. I was going to get the Borla Touring but people said it was louder than they expected. I called him after reviewing the Magnaflow and based on our conversation he leaned me toward the Magnaflow. For me, I just wanted something more than OEM but I didn't want people turning their heads all the time and definitely did not want any drone in the interior. The Magnaflow sound was translated to me as an old school deeper V8 sound. I went to Magnaflows website and they have a sound byte video as does Borla. They are helpful but nothing will substitute hearing myself. We will see how it sounds as soon as my truck arrives. I already have the exhaust that I purchased from same business that offered the group buy for the Borla and he even counted it a number for the Borla purchasers so they didn't lose a contributor for the group buy.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope i'm right. I'm going based on what I was told by the owner and he sells both. He supported the Borla Group Buy last time. I was going to get the Borla Touring but people said it was louder than they expected. I called him after reviewing the Magnaflow and based on our conversation he leaned me toward the Magnaflow. For me, I just wanted something more than OEM but I didn't want people turning their heads all the time and definitely did not want any drone in the interior. The Magnaflow sound was translated to me as an old school deeper V8 sound. I went to Magnaflows website and they have a sound byte video as does Borla. They are helpful but nothing will substitute hearing myself. We will see how it sounds as soon as my truck arrives. I already have the exhaust that I purchased from same business that offered the group buy for the Borla and he even counted it a number for the Borla purchasers so they didn't lose a contributor for the group buy.

We're of the same mind on our preferences I think.
Stock is too quiet, I have a V8 and need to enjoy it with my ears!
I want rumble, but I'm not looking for over the top.
Mellow, "truck-like" sound. Rumble, etc.
Naturally ALL of the aftermarket exhausts will open cans of whoop-*** at wide open throttle.
I wanted something that could be "Respectful"
Hence Borla touring.
Finding out the Magnaflow is a really good execution of that intention? Arguably better than the Borla Touring (Before broken in anyway), the price being better was the final nudge.

Your posts, as well as jhill and some others are big in moving me from a "Definite borla" - I still hold that company in high regard!

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
We're of the same mind on our preferences I think.
Stock is too quiet, I have a V8 and need to enjoy it with my ears!
I want rumble, but I'm not looking for over the top.
Mellow, "truck-like" sound. Rumble, etc.
Naturally ALL of the aftermarket exhausts will open cans of whoop-*** at wide open throttle.
I wanted something that could be "Respectful"
Hence Borla touring.
Finding out the Magnaflow is a really good execution of that intention? Arguably better than the Borla Touring (Before broken in anyway), the price being better was the final nudge.

Your posts, as well as jhill and some others are big in moving me from a "Definite borla" - I still hold that company in high regard!
Yes nothing wrong with Borla for sure. I wish I had personal experience to share but it is so subjective anyway. Needless to say, I have already commited to the Magnaflow. You could call Chris at gotexhaust.com in Virginia and he was very helpful. I would suspect he'd same thing.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes nothing wrong with Borla for sure. I wish I had personal experience to share but it is so subjective anyway. Needless to say, I have already commited to the Magnaflow. You could call Chris at gotexhaust.com in Virginia and he was very helpful. I would suspect he'd same thing.

I think we've gotta believe the guys who believe both, install both, hear both.
It's true, it's super subjective and it's hard to call an exhaust "wrong" when it's entirely, entirely taste.
It's asking what is the right topping on a pizza. It's asking what is "too" spicy.

I ordered from Hottexhaust.com, and I'm thinking I'll live with what I get!
The one thing that was killing me, was the stock quiet noise.
I'm looking forward to finding out sound characteristics of this system, that's for sure

WyattS42

Reaction score
Personally I like the Borla sound at WOT, just don’t want any drone in cab at cruising speeds/ eco mode(mds) engaged. I know Borla claims there isn’t any but you never know lol

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I think we've gotta believe the guys who believe both, install both, hear both.
It's true, it's super subjective and it's hard to call an exhaust "wrong" when it's entirely, entirely taste.
It's asking what is the right topping on a pizza. It's asking what is "too" spicy.

I ordered from Hottexhaust.com, and I'm thinking I'll live with what I get!
The one thing that was killing me, was the stock quiet noise.
I'm looking forward to finding out sound characteristics of this system, that's for sure
Sounds like you'll know sooner than me. So keep me in the loop!

ForkliftFranky12

Reaction score
If we can get enough people for a 2nd group purchase I will pull the trigger. Funds on hand for a purchase just waiting to see if anyone else is willing to pull the trigger. If not I will shop around for the best price.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting for 2019 to organize a second purchase, I believe we will have enough members to reach five.

WyattS42

Reaction score
If they give us a similar discount I’m ready to purchase whenever y’all are.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
I'm in for group buy 2.0 as well... Anyone one else ready to pull the trigger? :cool:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/NTjVvG5rktX3y" width="480" height="258" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

I ended up buying the "gently used" one PorBoy had up for sale...

Attachments

• 1545329669618.png
    1545329669618.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 9

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Question, does anyone know if an aftermarket cat-back weights less than the stock system? That large stock muffler looks like its heavy!

Users who are viewing this thread