5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Black Chrome vs Chrome

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
In terms of longevity, is there any difference between the Borla black chrome vs chrome cat back tips?

I’d hate to go with black and then have it peel or look like garbage in the near term future. Not sure what the warranty is on the tips.

2021 Ram Laramie DT Sport Pkg Pearl White 5.7 ET 3.21

Gipraw

Reaction score
In terms of longevity, is there any difference between the Borla black chrome vs chrome cat back tips?

I’d hate to go with black and then have it peel or look like garbage in the near term future. Not sure what the warranty is on the tips.

2021 Ram Laramie DT Sport Pkg Pearl White 5.7 ET 3.21

I have put the black chrome tips on several Cherokees, Challengers, Chargers, and Rams, and never had an issue, even after several years.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Amazon has the S-Type for $940 right now with 2 day delivery, plus the 5% if you have their CC.
Sold/shipped Amazon

Randboye

Reaction score
Has anyone had the check engine light come after installing a cat back exhaust system?
For reason the control module would read a different back pressure or any other issue.
Anyone have warranty issues after changing the exhaust? I would like to install the Borla touring.

NYKBOB

Reaction score
Has anyone had the check engine light come after installing a cat back exhaust system?
For reason the control module would read a different back pressure or any other issue.
Anyone have warranty issues after changing the exhaust? I would like to install the Borla touring.
I installed the Type S cat back and no issue with check engine lights. When I purchased my RAM I specifically asked the sales person who then asked the service department about exhaust and the warranty. I was told that you can change the exhaust (cat back only) and the intake and it not have an affect on the warranty. I then also installed a K&N chrome intake.

RebelDad38

Reaction score
Amazon has the S-Type for $940 right now with 2 day delivery, plus the 5% if you have their CC.
Sold/shipped Amazon

Literally just ordered it and got it yesterday and now installing it today. Excited for this exhaust!
d76f79cdb160beb7b30981e8d60b1a54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gipraw

Reaction score
Never had a check engine light issue from the install on something that didn’t have active exhaust.

Cat back exhaust has zero effect on any warranty issues.

Randboye

Reaction score
I installed the Type S cat back and no issue with check engine lights. When I purchased my RAM I specifically asked the sales person who then asked the service department about exhaust and the warranty. I was told that you can change the exhaust (cat back only) and the intake and it not have an affect on the warranty. I then also installed a K&N chrome intake.
Thanks for reply, waiting on my ordered 2022 Limited 4x4 so I can put on the Borla Touring.
Do you like the Borla S sound what about the loudness of the exhaust. I wanted quite on the inside but a little roar on the outside.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the sound with the S type. Put it on and ended up taking it off. I wish it was a lower frequency. A bit louder than I wanted and didn’t want to put another couple hundred for a resonator.

Also aligning the tips to be centered and not touch the bumper; was a nightmare that I couldn’t solve even after 1.5 hours of messing with it. I have the Laramie Sport, not sure if that pkg makes a difference in the bumper.

I had a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 that had an amazing exhaust note that I wish I could replicate here.

ExT

Reaction score
I have got the same exhaust and CAI as his on my 2021 Limited for around 10 months now and no peel no bug.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the sound with the S type. Put it on and ended up taking it off. I wish it was a lower frequency. A bit louder than I wanted and didn’t want to put another couple hundred for a resonator.

Also aligning the tips to be centered and not touch the bumper; was a nightmare that I couldn’t solve even after 1.5 hours of messing with it. I have the Laramie Sport, not sure if that pkg makes a difference in the bumper.

I had a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 that had an amazing exhaust note that I wish I could replicate here.
I recently got the Touring version and I also cannot get the tip to align on the passenger side. Borla needs to improve the design, especially since it's almost a grand. What did you end up doing with your exhaust after you took it off? I'm hoping borla will take it back and refund me. Sucks because it sounds good, but terrible fitment. I took it to an exhaust shop and said that the only way to maybe get it aligned is some bending of the pipe or possibly cutting and rewelding the hanger. You could see how much the angle of the passenger tip was.....it points upward instead of level and there is no adjustment at the clamp that would fix that.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
I recently got the Touring version and I also cannot get the tip to align on the passenger side. Borla needs to improve the design, especially since it's almost a grand. What did you end up doing with your exhaust after you took it off? I'm hoping borla will take it back and refund me. Sucks because it sounds good, but terrible fitment. I took it to an exhaust shop and said that the only way to maybe get it aligned is some bending of the pipe or possibly cutting and rewelding the hanger. You could see how much the angle of the passenger tip was.....it points upward instead of level and there is no adjustment at the clamp that would fix that.

Luckily I bought it from Amazon and was able to return it without penalty. Had I loved the sound, I would have kept it and bent it or had it re-welded. But I wasn’t a fan of the sound at low speeds around the neighborhood, nor the way the Black tips looked with my white Laramie (non-night version). I returned it as defective noting that the tip fitment was an issue. Cruising and under throttle it was either quiet as desired or sounded great.

Given MDS is likely my issue, until I turn it off via a module or hear one myself that sounds good all around, I’ll sadly probably stay with stock. My OCD would go nuts with any kind of drone too. Apparently I’m a finicky B.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My S type didn't fit well and a local shop was able to get it fully aligned with a crow bar and some persuasion. No cutting was needed. I can't believe how much adjustment you can get out of just bending hangers.

Users who are viewing this thread