5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Atak vs S-Type vs Touring - Show of Hands!

Did you get what you wanted or did you regret the purchase after?

• 1. Happy Atak Owner

• 1. UnHappy Atak Owner

• 1. Happy S-Type Owner

• 1. Unhappy S-Type Owner

• 1. Happy Touring Owner

• 1. Unhappy Touring Owner

• 2. Atak Gone.. S-Type On

• 2. S-Type Gone.. Atak On

• 2. S-Type Gone.. Touring On

Results are only viewable after voting.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol ahh the drama... sad 2021 has brought on cap sensitivity as well!?! My stock exhaust is hanging in the garage for lease teturn!

dc51786

Reaction score
I test drove a new GT and loved the sound. But wanted a limited and the gt package isn't available, so I have a GT and looking to get to that sound Curious if any S-Type owners here have driven a GT and how it compares? Appreciate it!

Selcher

Reaction score
I test drove a new GT and loved the sound. But wanted a limited and the gt package isn't available, so I have a GT and looking to get to that sound Curious if any S-Type owners here have driven a GT and how it compares? Appreciate it!
Test drove a GT then bought a Limited and put the S-Type on. The GT sounds awesome to me. The S-Type is different... Deeper rumble and louder. Zero regrets.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have the S type. Debated between the Atak and S type for a while, and ultimately from reading reviews it seemed they were both close in loudness, but the S type was deeper and not as crackly or popping like the Atak.

With it installed though, my exhaust is very loud and does get very deep at idle or cold start. It does still pop and crack some, with nice triple cracking backfire sounds during high rpm shifts. Wide open shift when accelerating and it sounds awesome. When in eco mode it's quite, but at times will pop a bit when switching out of eco back to 8 cylinders.

I don't have any stock resonators, just straight pipe where some resonators are from the factory. It'll make your ears ring when driving hard.

Though at times I wish I had the Atak, just because I prefer the more aggressive tones my S type makes at time. Want more I think.

dc51786

Reaction score
I have the S type. Debated between the Atak and S type for a while, and ultimately from reading reviews it seemed they were both close in loudness, but the S type was deeper and not as crackly or popping like the Atak.

With it installed though, my exhaust is very loud and does get very deep at idle or cold start. It does still pop and crack some, with nice triple cracking backfire sounds during high rpm shifts. Wide open shift when accelerating and it sounds awesome. When in eco mode it's quite, but at times will pop a bit when switching out of eco back to 8 cylinders.

I don't have any stock resonators, just straight pipe where some resonators are from the factory. It'll make your ears ring when driving hard.

Though at times I wish I had the Atak, just because I prefer the more aggressive tones my S type makes at time. Want more I think.
Thanks, this is great to know. I have a 5 year old & we take a lot of road trips. I want something that sounds bad when I step on it but quiet when cruise is on - this sounds like it would be too much. Extremely helpful - thank you! I loved the way the GT sounded & wish I could get that sound in my Limited.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Thanks, this is great to know. I have a 5 year old & we take a lot of road trips. I want something that sounds bad when I step on it but quiet when cruise is on - this sounds like it would be too much. Extremely helpful - thank you! I loved the way the GT sounded & wish I could get that sound in my Limited.
Yeah I have a 5 year old as well and he sleeps in most trips we take. It's quiet when I let it be and loud when I drive hard. Cruising at highway you can't really notice it. Only when stepping on it or driving hard from a stop does it really get loud. But when it does, it's loud lol. My mpg is better in the early morning because i try not to wake neighborhoods up. Afternoon is a little different.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would it be too much?

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Visited my local shop yesterday as I just got my 2020 Ram 1500 and I am ready to jump into standard mods (Intake, Exhaust, Bed Cover etc..). In terms of exhaust, I planned to go Magnaflow like my previous 3 trucks because its a decent sound and what I am used to. Was educated about Borla and how popular they are recently for tone, durability and performance. They scheduled out my install, told to me to go home and listen to the 3 models they offer and call them with a decision. I learned from the shop manager the Touring was a step up from stock and very similar to the Magnaflow kit in terms of decibels but of course has the Borla tone. The S-type is a step up from that in terms of decibels and the ATAK is the loudest/most aggressive. Each employee in the shop gets a s*** grin when discussing the ATAK because, well, its a speed shop and it is loud af. Those guys love that. I know for a fact that I do not want the ATAK as that doesn't fit my lifestyle in terms of decibels.

Here is the link to the Borla video that compares all the 3 offerings with the same Ram 1500. Just for reference if others need it. Helped me a bit.

That said, I was torn between the Touring and the S-Type. After finding out about the Borla resonator which decreases the sound by 2-3 decibels per the Borla website I opted to go with the S-type. If it is a bit too loud, I can add the resonator at a later date. TBH, 2-3 decibels is also not a whole of sound dampening for the price/labor but may be a good option. I am holding on installing the resonator with the S-type out the gate because who knows, every ear is different and microphones do not pickup the frequencies our ears do. I might really enjoy it. Install date is the week of June 20th, will keep everyone posted on thoughts vs. stock, in person vs. youtube video etc...

Also, love this thread as it has tons of feedback that helped me and my decision. great job OP!

RickWaz

Reaction score
I went w/ the Borla Touring + Resonator for my installation. And I absolutely LOVE the sound, as does my wife. So we're both VERY happy w/ this selection. Good luck and enjoy the improved sound and your new Ram!

Black19

Reaction score
Had a Borla 40353 muffler only installed and love the sound. Anyone know how it compares to the S-type or Atak???

Ramjack

Reaction score
It's too bad you have to vote to see the results. I haven't installed anything but I would like to see what others think. I don't want to throw a fake vote into the mix just to see the results.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's too bad you have to vote to see the results. I haven't installed anything but I would like to see what others think. I don't want to throw a fake vote into the mix just to see the results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220602-211314.png
    Screenshot_20220602-211314.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 56

Ramjack

Reaction score
Thanks !! I was hoping somebody would do that. So, according to the survey, the least disappointment comes with the S-Type. Those disappointed with Atak presumably think it's too loud and those disappointed with Touring presumably think it's too quiet.

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Just had my Borla S-Type Exhaust installed yesterday on my 2020 Ram 1500 and wanted to share my thoughts:

For weeks I watched all the YouTube videos I could find, read reviews, spoke to a few members here and had a few discussions with my local shop. Head was packed with info beforehand. Nearly all of my previous trucks had Magnaflow and I have never owned a Borla product before. When I placed my Borla order, I felt the Touring would be too quiet and the ATAK was overkill for what I wanted based on my research.

Important:
What you hear on YouTube is maybe 85% of what you hear in person with the S-Type tone wise. I do not think the microphones pickup certain frequencies in the low mid/high mid range. Next, videos most certainly do not pickup the dB's. A video gives you a fixed perspective so I can understand members who bought the S-Type/ATAK and were actually bummed because it was too loud. Watch the Borla video I posted on a set of good speakers, run them at 90 dB's (You can download a dB meter app for free to check) for the revs and takeoffs to feel a bit more realistic. Still won't give you what you get in person but beats a TV, headphones or a cell phone speaker.

Here are some thoughts so far.
  • I have a S&B CAI. I was told any increase in exhaust dB's would not be noticeable. K&N would had added a bit ore tone/volume with that whoosh sound like a turbo.
  • The S-Type is louder than any exhaust product above I have owned. It turns heads and other pickups get a bit competitive on the road. (Yea, literally on my way home from the shop lol.)
  • The S-Type sounds like straight engine performance. Most trucks have super boomy/muffled low end. The S-type chugs, but totally different tone than I expected and makes driving fun!
  • Cold starts are pretty loud for about 1-2 minutes as the truck warms up. It does quiet down after a while of sitting idle. You can still hear the rumble from about 50 feet away warmed up.
  • The loudest tones are between 1500-2000 RPM. That's parked or driving.
  • I can hear it in the cab, more than stock. Sounds good! Drone? Not really, but you hear the exhaust and you have to know the difference. Highway + Hills you will hear it humming.
  • This exhaust does one thing others didn't, It adds tone to deceleration. Makes the truck sound so mean and gives it more of a performance tone when coming to a stop.
  • Subjective, but the 5" tips really do fit the vehicle well. I thought it would look goofy or cartoonish. Not at all, highly recommend if you have the cutouts. Nice shape too!
Initial Verdict:
When the shop owner fired it up for the first time both my partner and I looked at each other with eyes wide open. It's true, this exhaust was louder than I had imagined or planned for but not annoying or over the top. It sounds like quality even for those who are not into exhaust/trucks. It fits my lifestyle living in a metro area and I am not too worried about others being affected by it especially with similar cars/trucks, tractor trailers and a train nearby. If I lived in a sub development or 55+ retirement community I would go with the touring but even at that point the cold starts may still warrant complaints from neighbors. I would get the S-Type if you truly want to have an experience each time you drive. If you are hesitating and the S-type sounds too aggressive or loud making you nervous from what you heard online go with the Touring or another brand. I can't imagine going with the ATAK, but the shop told me its less of a dB difference and more of a tone difference as the ATAK has more high end chime with some artifacts like a true race engine. Only have about 60 miles on the new exhaust but wanted to report back for anyone on the fence. Feel free to shoot me a message or ask any questions, more than happy to help if I can!

Edit: Here are my dB measurements
  • Cold Start (Standing directly behind the tailgate) = 97 dB
  • Inside Cab Highway (Cruising) = 74 dB
  • Inside Cab Highway (Rolling) = 67 dB
If anyone needs more let me know!

Last edited:

Nova90

Reaction score
I similarly thought that I had watched every video clip possible in my search as well. In the end, I went a different direction (AWE exhaust) primarily because the shop was local to me and I was able to hear it on a Ram 1500 in person. In order to really get a feel for the sound, it really helps to be able to hear it in person.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Just had my Borla S-Type Exhaust installed yesterday on my 2020 Ram 1500 and wanted to share my thoughts:

For weeks I watched all the YouTube videos I could find, read reviews, spoke to a few members here and had a few discussions with my local shop. Head was packed with info beforehand. Nearly all of my previous trucks had Magnaflow and I have never owned a Borla product before. When I placed my Borla order, I felt the Touring would be too quiet and the ATAK was overkill for what I wanted based on my research.

Important:
What you hear on YouTube is maybe 85% of what you hear in person with the S-Type tone wise. I do not think the microphones pickup certain frequencies in the low mid/high mid range. Next, videos most certainly do not pickup the dB's. A video gives you a fixed perspective so I can understand members who bought the S-Type/ATAK and were actually bummed because it was too loud. Watch the Borla video I posted on a set of good speakers, run them at 90 dB's (You can download a dB meter app for free to check) for the revs and takeoffs to feel a bit more realistic. Still won't give you what you get in person but beats a TV, headphones or a cell phone speaker.

Here are some thoughts so far.
  • I have a S&B CAI. I was told any increase in exhaust dB's would not be noticeable. K&N would had added a bit ore tone/volume with that whoosh sound like a turbo.
  • The S-Type is louder than any exhaust product above I have owned. It turns heads and other pickups get a bit competitive on the road. (Yea, literally on my way home from the shop lol.)
  • The S-Type sounds like straight engine performance. Most trucks have super boomy/muffled low end. The S-type chugs, but totally different tone than I expected and makes driving fun!
  • Cold starts are pretty loud for about 1-2 minutes as the truck warms up. It does quiet down after a while of sitting idle. You can still hear the rumble from about 50 feet away warmed up.
  • The loudest tones are between 1500-2000 RPM. That's parked or driving.
  • I can hear it in the cab, more than stock. Sounds good! Drone? Not really, but you hear the exhaust and you have to know the difference. Highway + Hills you will hear it humming.
  • This exhaust does one thing others didn't, It adds tone to deceleration. Makes the truck sound so mean and gives it more of a performance tone when coming to a stop.
  • Subjective, but the 5" tips really do fit the vehicle well. I thought it would look goofy or cartoonish. Not at all, highly recommend if you have the cutouts. Nice shape too!
Initial Verdict:
When the shop owner fired it up for the first time both my partner and I looked at each other with eyes wide open. It's true, this exhaust was louder than I had imagined or planned for but not annoying or over the top. It sounds like quality even for those who are not into exhaust/trucks. It fits my lifestyle living in a metro area and I am not too worried about others being affected by it especially with similar cars/trucks, tractor trailers and a train nearby. If I lived in a sub development or 55+ retirement community I would go with the touring but even at that point the cold starts may still warrant complaints from neighbors. I would get the S-Type if you truly want to have an experience each time you drive. If you are hesitating and the S-type sounds too aggressive or loud making you nervous from what you heard online go with the Touring or another brand. I can't imagine going with the ATAK, but the shop told me its less of a dB difference and more of a tone difference as the ATAK has more high end chime with some artifacts like a true race engine. Only have about 60 miles on the new exhaust but wanted to report back for anyone on the fence. Feel free to shoot me a message or ask any questions, more than happy to help if I can!

Edit: Here are my dB measurements
  • Cold Start (Standing directly behind the tailgate) = 97 dB
  • Inside Cab Highway (Cruising) = 74 dB
  • Inside Cab Highway (Rolling) = 67 dB
If anyone needs more let me know!
Awesome. I have the S type and that's how it went for me too. Many videos back and forth between Touring, S, and Atak. All sounded good but no true impression of volume it would have. A few places I read reviews that the S type and Atak were both equally loud, just had different tones. So I decided to go with S type as I like really deep exhaust tones. From what i've read the Atak is a more raspy/poppy type note. The S type has this too, but usually when switching into and out of eco and under full throttle shifts.

What I like best about the S type is that it's not linear sounding. Its almost like the tone and volume flares up as you're driving. It's like your exhaust is saying the "wow" as you're rowing through the gears. Many clapped out trucks driving around with straight pipes and the whole rpm range it's full volume.

Also immediately found other trucks/cars hear your exhaust and think you're trying to play with them. When really you're just driving casually to the grocery store.

Under hard acceleration when shifting from 2nd to 3rd I can hit near 6000rpm. Lets out a really nice ripping exhaust note. Not sure if this is like a distinct to the Hemi, as i've never heard it on other engines. I hear it on other 4th and 5th gen rams with exhausts. But it's like a triple ripping/fart sound. Like a hemi fart, directly into the face of the poor minivan you just smoked from the red light. It sounds pretty cool.

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Awesome. I have the S type and that's how it went for me too. Many videos back and forth between Touring, S, and Atak. All sounded good but no true impression of volume it would have. A few places I read reviews that the S type and Atak were both equally loud, just had different tones. So I decided to go with S type as I like really deep exhaust tones. From what i've read the Atak is a more raspy/poppy type note. The S type has this too, but usually when switching into and out of eco and under full throttle shifts.

What I like best about the S type is that it's not linear sounding. Its almost like the tone and volume flares up as you're driving. It's like your exhaust is saying the "wow" as you're rowing through the gears. Many clapped out trucks driving around with straight pipes and the whole rpm range it's full volume.

Also immediately found other trucks/cars hear your exhaust and think you're trying to play with them. When really you're just driving casually to the grocery store.

Under hard acceleration when shifting from 2nd to 3rd I can hit near 6000rpm. Lets out a really nice ripping exhaust note. Not sure if this is like a distinct to the Hemi, as i've never heard it on other engines. I hear it on other 4th and 5th gen rams with exhausts. But it's like a triple ripping/fart sound. Like a hemi fart, directly into the face of the poor minivan you just smoked from the red light. It sounds pretty cool.
LMAOO 100%

Thats a great way to state the tone. "Non-Linear", it changes when your foot changes not just straight noise all the time.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As someone who had the Borla ATAK do your self a favor and look at the AWE 0FG for our trucks. It sounds great, not quite as loud as the ATAK and the fit and finish is miles better than Borla. They use the factory style ball clamps for the tips so you can actually get them aligned properly vs the constant fighting I had to do with the Borla to the point it would have required a muffler shop to redo the exhaust hangers in order for the tips to sit correctly. When you are just cruising along you cant tell its there but it wakes up when you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread