5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Atak vs S-Type vs Touring - Show of Hands!

Did you get what you wanted or did you regret the purchase after?

• 1. Happy Atak Owner

• 1. UnHappy Atak Owner

• 1. Happy S-Type Owner

• 1. Unhappy S-Type Owner

• 1. Happy Touring Owner

• 1. Unhappy Touring Owner

• 2. Atak Gone.. S-Type On

• 2. S-Type Gone.. Atak On

• 2. S-Type Gone.. Touring On

Results are only viewable after voting.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've had the Borla S-type catback on my 19' Laramie, for about three years now. I still smile every time I step on the throttle. They are loud, yes. They are certainly not too loud. My wife Really enjoys the sound and loves driving my truck, over her new Suburban. The ATAK has a very high pitch. The S-Type's are deep, American muscle pipes. Lotta throat and rumble. Still very quiet in 8th gear and when cruising on the highway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the Borla Atak installed on my 2019 Big Horn. This Is an aggressive exhaust. Wow it is loud! It is so loud my wife refuses to ride in my truck.

Does anyone have any details on the resonator (part 60667)? Number of decibels that decreases by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has your wife ridden in the truck since you installed it? I can barely hear the exhaust when cruising, and even under light throttle. It's not until I get in it that it's loud. Can hold a normal conversation with zero issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very happy ATAK owner. IMO, the best option. Yes, it's loud when you hit the loud pedal hard, but light throttle and cruising, it's not that loud. Can hold normal conversation, don't have to crank radio up. Shoot, I had to turn on the ECO mode light to even tell if MDS was functional because there was barely any noticeable difference in exhaust sound inside the truck. I'd say if you are hung up in whether to get S-type or ATAK, get the ATAK, you won't be disappointed. As others have said, very little difference on cold starts, so screw the neighbors.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've had the Borla S-type catback on my 19' Laramie, for about three years now. I still smile every time I step on the throttle. They are loud, yes. They are certainly not too loud. My wife Really enjoys the sound and loves driving my truck, over her new Suburban. The ATAK has a very high pitch. The S-Type's are deep, American muscle pipes. Lotta throat and rumble. Still very quiet in 8th gear and when cruising on the highway.
I will agree I'm not a fan of that high pitch noise the Atak makes on full throttle. It almost reminds me of a supercharger whine at times. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first but it's still there after reassembling and tightening everything again to make sure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will agree I'm not a fan of that high pitch noise the Atak makes on full throttle. It almost reminds me of a supercharger whine at times. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first but it's still there after reassembling and tightening everything again to make sure.
I'm not sure I know this sound you are talking about. Wondering if it's your ANC and not the exhaust.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
I'm not sure I know this sound you are talking about. Wondering if it's your ANC and not the exhaust.
I'm not sure. All I know is there's a whine that seems to come from the rear only during WOT. It wasn't there before the exhaust. And I've heard it once before while riding in someone else's ram with the Atak. Thought I just had some sort of exhaust leak so got the truck up on a lift and made sure everything was sealed and tightened and there were no leaks. I never heard it or paid attention to it until someone riding with me called it out and now I've heard it ever since.

Can I temporarily deactivate the ANC and test?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure. All I know is there's a whine that seems to come from the rear only during WOT. It wasn't there before the exhaust. And I've heard it once before while riding in someone else's ram with the Atak. Thought I just had some sort of exhaust leak so got the truck up on a lift and made sure everything was sealed and tightened and there were no leaks. I never heard it or paid attention to it until someone riding with me called it out and now I've heard it ever since.

Can I temporarily deactivate the ANC and test?
They make a bypass module for when installing aftermarket stereos, but not sure if that's something you'd want to buy just for testing purposes

Rmazzei

Reaction score
have S-Type with Ram air set up. Sounds great no drone. easy install. If you can see your neighbors then don't go with the ATAK. S-Type is loud on cold start but then quiets. Borla also makes a resonator if you find the one you choose needs a little taming down.

Nova90

Reaction score
LOVE MY ATAK... I OFTEN CHUCKLE AT PEOPLE WHO DON'T OWN SOMETHING CHIMING IN " DON'T GO WITH THAT IT TOO LOUD" , HELL I WISH IT WERE LOUDER!!!
Does it kick up the sound in the cabin very much? Been back & forth between Atak & S...don't mind being loud on the outside but want to be able to hold a conversation on the inside.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it kick up the sound in the cabin very much? Been back & forth between Atak & S...don't mind being loud on the outside but want to be able to hold a conversation on the inside.
VERY MANAGEABLE IN THE CABIN AND ZERO DRONE IMO... I'VE RUN TONS OF SYSTEMS THROUGH THE YEARS AND SUFFERED THROUGH PLENTY OF DRONE BUT I DONT FIND THIS TO BE OBTRUSIVE OR DRONEY AT ALL AND THE WIFE AND GIRLS AGREE AS WE'VE TAKEN A FEW SUMMER ROADS TRIPS AND I'VE HAD ZERO COMPLAINTS.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Agreed. Not loud in the cabin and no drone at any speed. I too wish it was louder though. I keep the rear middle window down just to hear it more lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
VERY MANAGEABLE IN THE CABIN AND ZERO DRONE IMO... I'VE RUN TONS OF SYSTEMS THROUGH THE YEARS AND SUFFERED THROUGH PLENTY OF DRONE BUT I DONT FIND THIS TO BE OBTRUSIVE OR DRONEY AT ALL AND THE WIFE AND GIRLS AGREE AS WE'VE TAKEN A FEW SUMMER ROADS TRIPS AND I'VE HAD ZERO COMPLAINTS.
PLEASE STOP SHOUTING! You might want to turn off the truck so you can hear yourself type ;)

Notro

Reaction score
Recently installed the Atak and was wondering what y'all did with the old exhaust? I was able to remove it without having to cut it. Any luck selling it or best to scrap it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Recently installed the Atak and was wondering what y'all did with the old exhaust? I was able to remove it without having to cut it. Any luck selling it or best to scrap it?
Put mine up on shelf in garage

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Ended up having to cut mine in half during install. Put up online at various marketplaces thinking someone might need or want the oem exhaust but after 2 months it wasn't worth the storage so I scrapped it. Think I got 10$ for it lol

Users who are viewing this thread