5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla ATAK vs Borla S Type vs Touring?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to go back and check your install. There is NO drone at all with the S Type in MDS mode or normal mode. There is a slight sound difference, but that isn't drone. If you have drone, you have something else going on.
With my ATAK, I have to have radio off and actually be actively listening to even notice a difference when MDS kicks on.

SemperFi

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Perhaps "drone" isn't the correct term? I can definitely hear a difference when the MDS kicks in. It's not loud or obnoxious, but I can definitely hear it, sounds like a Black Hawk from far off (hell, maybe it's just my PTSD, I can hear that **** in my sleep).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Perhaps "drone" isn't the correct term? I can definitely hear a difference when the MDS kicks in. It's not loud or obnoxious, but I can definitely hear it, sounds like a Black Hawk from far off (hell, maybe it's just my PTSD, I can hear that **** in my sleep).
There's no way a combat veteran can hear good enough to notice a difference over the ringing from tinnitus. :p

Yesterday I was driving mine, ECO light came on, I hit mute on stereo. Still sounded like a Borla ATAK. MDS turned off, and barely any difference. Sometimes I will get the exhaust pop/backfire when it comes out of MDS, but that's about the only time I ever notice it in exhaust sound under normal driving.

SemperFi

Reaction score
There's no way a combat veteran can hear good enough to notice a difference over the ringing from tinnitus. :p

Yesterday I was driving mine, ECO light came on, I hit mute on stereo. Still sounded like a Borla ATAK. MDS turned off, and barely any difference. Sometimes I will get the exhaust pop/backfire when it comes out of MDS, but that's about the only time I ever notice it in exhaust sound under normal driving.
Valid point, love it, lol. I am in fact a combat veteran and do have a significant hearing loss, at certain frequencies it's more pronounced. I kid you not though, I can hear it when the MDS kicks in. Again, it's not overwhelming, not enough to be an issue, this is just my experience, YMMV.

biggggant

Reaction score
Yea I can hear and feel MDS kick on. Its not very noticeable but I do catch it and look down and confirm my hearing or feeling by seeing the ECO light illuminated on the dash.

shawn6304

Reaction score
I gotta agree with the s type guys, it sounds great at normal speeds and its throaty and loud at acceleration but it doesn't have the raspy Nascar sound, the attack is too much, if you want that muscle car sound its S-type

shawn6304

Reaction score
Which ever you pick don't make the mistake I made, I had a shop weld the borla s-type, but didn't specify how far out the back i wanted the tips so they made them flush with the bumper, I don't love the look.

Smellyram

Reaction score
I have a borla as well and was thinking about installing some kooks headers I was wondering if anyone else has done the same

Users who are viewing this thread