5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla ATAK vs Borla S Type vs Touring?

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Kind of narrowed my last major upgrade to my 2022 Rebel to the Borla ATAK, S Type, or the Touring. Thoughts on both? Had a Borla dual exhaust on my 2006 Tundra XSP, loved the sound, throaty but not too obnoxious & zero cabin drone. But not sure exactly which one it was?

Last edited:

Amazing93

Reaction score
I have the s type and it's perfect. It's loud but not douchey. Lol. The atak would be annoying for a daily driver. Waaaaay loud. I was worries the stype wouldn't be loud enough and I was wrong it was plenty loud. And throaty.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
I have the s type and it's perfect. It's loud but not douchey. Lol. The atak would be annoying for a daily driver. Waaaaay loud. I was worries the stype wouldn't be loud enough and I was wrong it was plenty loud. And throaty.
Thanks, how was is the cabin drone?

Amazing93

Reaction score
At first I was like oh man what have I done, I loved how quiet my truck interior was, lol. But I love the rumble too. I got used to the sound. I wouldn't say there's an annoying drone like some cheap mufflers but there's extra cabin noise.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
At first I was like oh man what have I done, I loved how quiet my truck interior was, lol. But I love the rumble too. I got used to the sound. I wouldn't say there's an annoying drone like some cheap mufflers but there's extra cabin noise.
Thanks man. I made a similar post on a RAM page on FB. Someone mentioned a Borla Touring exhaust too. Seems like the quietest one, then the S Type, then the ATAK.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Touring seems very close to stock in my opinion. I would say it's just for the larger tips and better stainless steel tubing.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no drone with the Borla S Type. What you hear in the cabin is exhaust note, not drone. When highway cruising, you'll barely hear it all, but accelerating, you WILL hear it.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Personally I would go with the s type just to be safe.. but I found a used ATAk for 600 and purshaced it, haven’t installed it yet but regardless it’s a steal and hope it sounds good

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Touring seems very close to stock in my opinion. I would say it's just for the larger tips and better stainless steel tubing.
It couldn't possibly disagree more. The touring is much louder than stock and not far off the other 2 on a cold start! Cruising is where the big difference is between the touring, s and atak and yes I've heard all of them.

Black19

Reaction score
I added a Borla Muffler only, 40353. Sounds amazing, no drone, quite on the highway, but you can hear in when you want too! Added 5” tips as well, nice deep sound.
Not sure how it compares to the other 3 Borla options….

Kevtj

Reaction score
I recently installed the touring on my 21. I'm very happy with it. None of the videos that I found online do it justice. It's quiet cruising but you can certainly hear it when you want to. I second what HydroRebel posted above.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You would be wrong about the ATAK. I barely hear.mine when cruising in freeway. But hit the gas pedal and you know it's there. Outside might be different, but in the cab it's very mild.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You would be wrong about the ATAK. I barely hear.mine when cruising in freeway. But hit the gas pedal and you know it's there. Outside might be different, but in the cab it's very mild.
Yeah I love when someone doesn't have something but imparts their wisdom on what it is or would be...lol!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the S-Type, and have been able to compare it to the ATAK in a buddy's truck. The ATAK is noticeably (and IMO, annoyingly) much louder than the S-Type while cruising. I would also say the ATAK is only slightly louder than the S-Type when you mash the fast pedal though.

I haven't compared directly to the touring, but I would call the cruising cabin noise with the ATAK anything but mild.

Just goes to show this is all subjective and you really should listen to them in person before purchasing.

Jackieee_Ram

Reaction score
Borla Atak sounds great but just too loud during cold starts. Highway cruising isn’t loud or annoying at all. Mash the gas and you’ll definitely hear it

Had a Spintech 9000 in place of the factory muffler on my 19’ and that had pretty bad drone in eco mode

SemperFi

Reaction score
I have the S-type in my 2022 Rebel. I went back and forth on this for weeks if not months before making my decision. In the end, it came down to Borla S-type, A-type and AWE. I didn't really consider the the Borla Touring because I was under the impression that it was very similar to stock unless WOT, so I didn't think it made sense to me to install an aftermarket exhaust that was essentially very similar to stock. AWE had some fitment issues so I gravitated toward the Borla due to familiarity with the brand and stock like install. Overall, I've been happy with the S-type. It's tasteful when mild to moderate throttle, but LOUD at WOT. There is drone in the cabin with the MDS kicks in, don't let anyone tell you different, but it's not obnoxious. At speed, you can hear it, but it sounds good, like a Hemi should, not over the top or annoying. Ironically, my dog hates it, lol. He gets nervous in the back when I get on it, hates the sound, he'll get over it. My wife on the other hand?!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the S-type in my 2022 Rebel...There is drone in the cabin with the MDS kicks in, don't let anyone tell you different, but it's not obnoxious.

You might want to go back and check your install. There is NO drone at all with the S Type in MDS mode or normal mode. There is a slight sound difference, but that isn't drone. If you have drone, you have something else going on.

Users who are viewing this thread