5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Atak too noisy :( :( :(

G8zza

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Picked up my 2020 Ram Rebel last week and took it straight in to get fully colour coded (black with black rims) and have a Borla Atak added.

Had watched videos of the Borla exhausts and loved the video of the Atak, but wow in person it's sooooo much louder!!!!! I asked my neighbour if he felt it was too loud and he said come into my house and have your wife start the car!!! Pretty bloody loud in his living room 😄.

The cold starts are mega loud and also when I'm driving it's too loud in the cab.

Would adding a resonator make a big difference? From my understanding the stock is about 80 Decibels and the Atak is 105, what would the resonator do?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The Borla resonator essentially turns the Atak system into the S-Line from what I read

G8zza

Reaction score
Does it have to be the Borla resonator? They are out of stock across Dubai so would need to get a different one.

Is there a big difference between the S and the Atak?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be the borla resonator, but your results will obviously vary depending on which one you get. But after spending so much money I’d try to at least make sure to get a resonator of the same quality stainless steel as Borla. And to be honest I haven’t heard both of them in person so I’m not too sure

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Picked up my 2020 Ram Rebel last week and took it straight in to get fully colour coded (black with black rims) and have a Borla Atak added.

Had watched videos of the Borla exhausts and loved the video of the Atak, but wow in person it's sooooo much louder!!!!! I asked my neighbour if he felt it was too loud and he said come into my house and have your wife start the car!!! Pretty bloody loud in his living room 😄.

The cold starts are mega loud and also when I'm driving it's too loud in the cab.

Would adding a resonator make a big difference? From my understanding the stock is about 80 Decibels and the Atak is 105, what would the resonator do?
You are one of the few who thinks it's too loud. I can easily carry in a bit so conversation in the cab while driving and not have to raise my voice. Radio easily cancels out exhaust sounds. Unless you are accelerating hard, it's not that loud in the cab. Outside is a different story, but then again, I didn't buy my exhaust to make other people happy. If you wanted quiet, the ATAk definitely wasn't the best choice.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are one of the few who thinks it's too loud. I can easily carry in a bit so conversation in the cab while driving and not have to raise my voice. Radio easily cancels out exhaust sounds. Unless you are accelerating hard, it's not that loud in the cab. Outside is a different story, but then again, I didn't buy my exhaust to make other people happy. If you wanted quiet, the ATAk definitely wasn't the best choice.
Too loud is in perspective.
The Borla Atak (which I love and had on several cars\trucks) is one the loudest exhausts you can buy.
Especially if it gets to hit or echo off anything like like parking it 5 feet away from your house (with the exhaust facing it)

I live next to my father and he loves it, I also don't leave for work at 4:30am in the morning.

But it's my\your truck. If your happy with it screw everyone else. It's not like it's a n top fuelers

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Why argue with the guy on something that is personal preference? Videos are definitely hard to judge exactly how loud something will be. He asked for help, not criticism

popcenator

Reaction score
To be fair, I was pretty surprised at how loud my S-Type was when I first started the truck up after the intake. My '12 Ram had true duals and it wasn't even close to the S-Type. I ultimately installed the Borla resonator which took it from really loud to tolerably loud. It really helped with the interior noise, which, despite what Borla says, had quite a bit of drone at certain RPMs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why argue with the guy on something that is personal preference? Videos are definitely hard to judge exactly how loud something will be. He asked for help, not criticism
He bought the wrong unit.
Even Borla says it is their most aggressive sounding exhaust.
He's not blasting the guy but he clearly bought the wrong unit if he didn't want "too loud"
Resonators will make it quieter, but likely not to what OP is looking for. He is looking for the Touring or stock exhaust imo.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sooo subjective... definitely no drone in the ATAK and not near loud enough imo. A resonator will certainly tone it down a bit but it sounds like you would be happier with a S-type or Touring... Good luck!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My flowfx is great. You hear it when you get on it, but tame when cruising.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not arguing, giving my opinion based on personal experience with the Borla ATAK. Cruising in the freeway, I have to almost turn my radio off to hear it. My last set of tires, Kenda Klever M/T, made more noise than the exhaust.

db9

Reaction score
You are condradicting yourself in one post and offering zero input of of any value to the OP, as usual.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I went through this with my Challenger. My exhaust shop gave me a recommendation and it worked out just like he said. What he did was put straight through turbo mufflers before the tips, in essence they act as resonators. I still had a deep growl and plenty of sound when getting on it hard but very polite idle and driving around town. Similar to this in the photo
Screenshot_20230506_120426_Chrome.jpg

db9

Reaction score
I went through this with my Challenger. My exhaust shop gave me a recommendation and it worked out just like he said. What he did was put straight through turbo mufflers before the tips, in essence they act as resonators. I still had a deep growl and plenty of sound when getting on it hard but very polite idle and driving around town. Similar to this in the photo
View attachment 158189
See, this is valuable input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are condradicting yourself in one post and offering zero input of of any value to the OP, as usual.
No contradiction at all. And it was my input. Just because you feel it wasn't helpful doesn't negate my opinion

Last edited:

TyH2009

Reaction score
To be fair, I was pretty surprised at how loud my S-Type was when I first started the truck up after the intake. My '12 Ram had true duals and it wasn't even close to the S-Type. I ultimately installed the Borla resonator which took it from really loud to tolerably loud. It really helped with the interior noise, which, despite what Borla says, had quite a bit of drone at certain RPMs.

Closest thing to “drone” I have is like 1,800-2,000 rpm’s, but I wouldn’t call is a drone, more just a baritone sort of hum, but it’s only while accelerating with a fair amount of throttle, cruising on the highway there is 0 drone and eco mode doesn’t hum at all.

jon.ach

Reaction score
I have the touring muffler that was cut off to install the s type muffler. Ill trade my touring for your atak?

popcenator

Reaction score
Closest thing to “drone” I have is like 1,800-2,000 rpm’s, but I wouldn’t call is a drone, more just a baritone sort of hum, but it’s only while accelerating with a fair amount of throttle, cruising on the highway there is 0 drone and eco mode doesn’t hum at all.
The tone is one of the best I've had from an exhaust, that's for sure, it just had a good amount of drone when cruising which some have I've seen. It's still the loudest exhaust I've ever had even with the resonator but now I barely hear it unless I'm aggressively accelerating.

Users who are viewing this thread